Author Topic: Boston blogger loses gun permit over blog  (Read 5779 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Declaration Day

• friends
Re: Boston blogger loses gun permit over blog
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 07:39:35 PM »
His comments were in poor taste and he's not very bright for posting them on a publicly viewable blog. 

Credible threat though?  I don't think so.   =|

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 09:10:02 PM »
Stupid is supposed to hurt.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 09:12:08 PM »
his website for selling comics is called heavy link, I think once I have some money I'll buy some. He has Walking Dead for sale
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 10:15:38 PM »
Hrrmmm... The posts about targeting only politicians are certainly borderline.

Needs moar info

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 11:37:30 PM »

To the point of having constitutionally protected rights taken away?

Remember, this is Mass, you get your LTC pulled and you can not own ANY guns now, you can get a FID card which covers thing like pump actions shotguns and bolt rifles and such but no handguns.

They pulled his permit for "suitability" which in this case is about the equivalent of being stopped for driving while black, he said something they didn't like and they chose to hurt him for it.

Sorry if it seems like I'm attacking you, that's not my intent, I'm just a bit perturbed about this.
Look, tiny text!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 01:59:08 AM »
Well, see now, there's your reasonable regulation.  On both 1 and 2.

And probably a couple of others, too.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 06:35:23 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 07:29:52 AM »
This is an event of Thought-Crime. That the man may be: insensitive, callous, tactless, or just a prick in general is beside the point. As others and the courts have shown us, vulgar, offensive and repulsive messages are still not illegal, Westboro comes to mind most particularly, especially since at the time I found myself on the other side of that argument I personally found them so repulsive. Until he actually takes the initiative to commit a physical criminal act, not simply to just spread a particular message or idea, he has done nothing illegal. Distasteful to some, but distasteful is an opinion based on personal mores, and opinion does not law make. Most poignantly is the admission that..

Corcoran, who has no criminal history, has not been arrested and does not face any charges.

All he has done is spread his own opinion that those in power (and obviously some here) dislike and have thus retributively denied this man: His personal property, through seizure of his firearms and ammunition, his Second amendment right, through the revocation of his 'license' and again the seizure of the former, and finally his First amendment right through the intimidation caused by the prior two factors.

As I've written elsewhere, whether someone's exercise of a right is viewed as being unwise, distasteful or wrong by others choosing not to exercise that same right in the same manner is irrelevant. As a right, other people's opinions have absolutely no bearing on whether or not it can be exercised or in the particular manner chosen.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 09:45:02 AM »
He should have just talked about killing Bush, then they wouldn't care.  But I guess that is just me being hateful and uncivil. 

This is certainly overkill over someone just shooting their mouth off.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 01:42:52 PM »
Wish I had more info, but based on the story alone:

No charges were filed, nobody was arrested, and no mention was made of a warrant or court order.

Yet police simply came into his home and took his things.

How is this not armed robbery?   ???

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 02:12:22 PM »
Do firearms ownership licenses violate the recent SC 2nd amendment cases?  I don't remember hearing that addressed.

At the very least, the arbitrary denial of the license with no due process would seem to be a violations of something.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

griz

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 02:42:41 PM »
Guess I'll have to disagree with the crowd here.  When somebody says “1 down and 534 to go” and "Target only politicians and their staff and leave regular citizens alone", it sounds threatening to me.  Those quotes are from the article.  If you can show me that the context made these comments a joke or something I may change my mind.  Until then, I'm surprised he wasn't charged with something.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 02:48:43 PM »
No, those are statements of approval. A threat would be stating or implying that HE would do something about it.

Saying, "A hunter shot a deer, only 9,000,000 to go" does not imply you are going to do anything about it, only that you approve. Saying, "Looks like Bob got a deer, now I'm going to go get me one" would be a threat to deer. (Yes, I specifically chose the most innocuous example I could as I don't want to be misconstrued as threatening.)

His second statement is much the same. A non-hunter could say "target only bucks and does but leave the poor little bunnies alone." It doesn't imply the speaker will do anything, only that he has less of a problem with deer being shot than with bunnies.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

griz

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 07:00:44 PM »
OK, maybe "threat" is grammatically incorrect.  But it's more than a statement of approval.  It's at least a call to action to target (his words) specific people.  I do not know when it legally becomes a threat, but that's mighty close.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 07:57:02 PM »

So we're okay with the government raping the guy because they didn't like what he had to say?

So only well thought out,  non-inflammatory speech is protected by the First Amendment now?

Fred Phelps is tolerated,  but one of our own inserts foot in mouth,  and he deserves whatever the Government sticks him with?

Niemoller was right.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 11:12:24 PM »
if they cant arrest him how can they confiscate his guns? Mass is weird.

I went to his comic book site  http://heavyink.com/
& as soon as I can I plan to get me some of those Walking Dead comics from him.

He made a mistake but I think he's a good guy.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 11:54:09 PM »
So we're okay with the government raping the guy because they didn't like what he had to say?

So only well thought out,  non-inflammatory speech is protected by the First Amendment now?

Fred Phelps is tolerated,  but one of our own inserts foot in mouth,  and he deserves whatever the Government sticks him with?

Niemoller was right.
One of our own sticks his foot in his mouth and he's stupid, regardless of .gov actions. I would say the same about a 13-year-old kid that posts "We ought to kill Obama!11!!" on his Facebook then has every door in his house kicked down by a SWAT team. Excessive and unnecessary reaction, sure. It doesn't absolve him from being an idiot. If they had decided to hit his house with a tactical nuke, he would still be an idiot.
Was the government stupid? It's MA, what would you expect? They've actually been much more reasonable (no jailtime yet) than I would've figured. 
Do stupid things, win stupid prizes. The Constitutionality of the prizes is the issue everybody else seems to be addressing.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 06:16:39 AM »
This sort of thing just makes PVC tubes and a large backyard more appealing....

....not to mention that, in almost every case, when the state takes away a person's access to the soap box and the ballot box, the next box the person "speaks from" is the ammo box....not a good trend....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 09:13:47 AM »
OK, maybe "threat" is grammatically incorrect.  But it's more than a statement of approval.  It's at least a call to action to target (his words) specific people.  I do not know when it legally becomes a threat, but that's mighty close.
Bigjake called it inflammatory speech which seems closer to the mark.  Sure it was stupid.  No doubt about that.  However, being stupid, yet legal, should not be a reason the cops can come in confiscate his property. 

IMO, the precedent set over the last 10 years says this is not something you get prosecuted for or even questioned. 

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 02:39:33 PM »
This reminds me of a topic awhile back regarding gov crackdowns on grassroots activity including blogging. Not surprised to see Mass rolling out the test cases.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 04:36:45 PM »
One of our own sticks his foot in his mouth and he's stupid, regardless of .gov actions. I would say the same about a 13-year-old kid that posts "We ought to kill Obama!11!!" on his Facebook then has every door in his house kicked down by a SWAT team. Excessive and unnecessary reaction, sure. It doesn't absolve him from being an idiot. If they had decided to hit his house with a tactical nuke, he would still be an idiot.
Was the government stupid? It's MA, what would you expect? They've actually been much more reasonable (no jailtime yet) than I would've figured. 
Do stupid things, win stupid prizes. The Constitutionality of the prizes is the issue everybody else seems to be addressing.

They guy being "an idiot"  (in your opinion),  has jack to do with anything.  The world is full of idiots,  You're okay with the Government confiscating their property in retaliation for exercising  an enumerated right?

*Threatening the President isn't covered under the 1st Amendment and you know it.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 09:24:26 PM »
when maher is in jail, i will be willing to accept that. [popcorn]

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 09:35:06 PM »
They guy being "an idiot"  (in your opinion),  has jack to do with anything.  The world is full of idiots,  You're okay with the Government confiscating their property in retaliation for exercising  an enumerated right?

*Threatening the President isn't covered under the 1st Amendment and you know it.

Most folks down that way are so enslaved they don't have a clue and will go along with just about anything.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.