Author Topic: 4 rules of gun safety?  (Read 8287 times)

drewtam

• friend
4 rules of gun safety?
« on: January 19, 2011, 06:45:31 PM »
Anybody have good Japanese translations or perhaps picture explanations?

We have a big engineering conference / development session coming up. I intend to entertain some Japanese co-workers while I have the chance.  [ar15]
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: 4 rules of gun safety?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 11:37:13 PM »
Anybody have good Japanese translations or perhaps picture explanations?

We have a big engineering conference / development session coming up. I intend to entertain some Japanese co-workers while I have the chance.  [ar15]

If no one has them readily available I have a wife who is conversant in Japanese (I'd say fluent, but she disagrees with me.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 06:57:34 AM »
My initial reaction is that if they are coming for a conference or are assigned here, their English reading ability is good enough. You might check out this site: http://www.shootingtips.com/index.html.

I will inquire of my formerly Japanese wife if she knows of something or has any suggestions.
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 01:06:48 PM »
This may be a long shot, but when I was in Hawaii many years ago, apparently the shooting ranges out there were pretty popular with Japanese tourists.  You might want to join up at

http://2ahawaii.com/

and ask if anyone there has a translation... or at least find out how they handle gun safety.

Or you might e-mail the site owneradministrator  at:

2ahawaii  AT  2ahawaii DOT com

and ask directly.

He may be a member here, but I'm not sure it would pay to PM him from APS since I haven't seen him here.  He may have got lost in the recent <ahem> shuffle.

Terry, 230RN

ETA  I added a new topic over there linking to this thread.  Holy Cow, I'm still a newbie over there and guess what?  I actually used an avatar there!

« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 01:22:08 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 06:26:51 PM »
OK, take a look at this:

http://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=1107.0

Reply #3.

I dood my durnedest fer ya!

Terry, 230RN

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 07:39:34 PM »
Thanks!
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 04:02:58 PM »
Huh.

I guess it didn't do too badly.  I stuck the Japanese characters obtained by "Heavy" on 2aHawaii DOT com in that translation for Rule 2 back into Google and translated them back into English:

Next up, I guess, would be the Bill Of Rights.

And maybe Google has a translator from English into Legislatese so our Law-screwer-uppers can finally understand the simple language of the Bill Of Rights. 

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 04:25:06 PM by 230RN »

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 04:13:33 PM »
The "translate back" test might have its uses, but I ran the Japanese past my wife (who used to be Japanese before becoming an American pistol packing engineer).  She had trouble making any sense of it, and her reaction was "Good grief, don't use it unless you want an accident."
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 04:34:20 PM »
^

I'm reminded of the (possibly apocryphal) story of when they were first working on computer translation engines and they translated

"The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak."

into Russian and then back into English.

What they got was,

"The Vodka is good but the beef is bad."

I suspect that translation would be pretty handy anyhow, especially if gone over by drewtam with them, and assuming these visitors have reasonable intelligence.  Cute remark by your wife, but I'm sure it's not that bad.

After all, it's not a long leap from "destroy" to "discard" to "trash" to "trash out."

I'm reasonably sure that even a fully bilingual human translation would have some glitches.  I note that apparently there's no equivalent to "holster" (it appears in English among the Japanese characters) so maybe something like "gun container" would work for an intelligent (and flexible) Japanese reader.  And frankly, I found the rather long "explanations" of Col Cooper's nice simple Four Rules kind of awkward even in English:

http://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=1107.msg7411#msg7411

Even long before Jeff Cooper's codification of the Rules, I taught my sons, "Don't point that thing at anything you don't want to put a hole in."

Anyhow, that was fun, and I'm toying with the idea of using "Maybe Google has a translator from English into Legislatese so our Law-screwer-uppers can finally understand the simple language of the Bill Of Rights" as my sig line.

Heh-heh-heh-hehhhh.

Terry, 230RN

(Edited for extensive housekeeping.)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 05:16:04 PM by 230RN »

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 05:58:41 PM »
Okay.

Let's assume that what an engineer who is a native speaker of Japanese says is "cute" -- but not to be taken seriously -- when she suggests using the original English rather than a Google translation when trying to communicate safety rules to Japanese engineers who are being sent to an international conference. After all, what could she know.

?Thomas Sowell

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 10:17:59 PM »
most Japanese traveling here have an OK grasp of English, perhaps find the most fluent one of the group you are entertaining translate for you?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 08:43:36 AM »
Hey, no offense, cambeul41.

I meant "cute" in the sense of "clever," and it was a clever way of putting it.

Sorry if my use of "cute" bothered you.

:(

Anyhow, the presumption is that there was some perceived "need" for a translation by the original poster, whether it was as a mere gesture of good will, or because there might indeed be a language barrier. or for any other reason.

Terry 230RN
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 08:56:04 AM by 230RN »

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 09:59:41 AM »
これは、初めてのシューティングは、銃に触れる前に、すべての衣類を削除するには慣習となっている。

靴は省略可能です

あなたにこのリストを与えた愚か者を無視する

お楽しみ銃

;)

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 11:36:43 AM »
RN230 --
No problem. I twitched, but she twitched harder.  I would tell you her "non-cute" rephrasing, but doing so would violate site rules of decorum. =D

I do enjoy your posts, and generally agree with you.

KD5NRH --
Are you playing a practical joke or is someone playing one on you?
?Thomas Sowell

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 03:18:45 PM »
I work with this co-worker on almost daily basis, teleconference at least once a week. His English is good; but I figured a good translation explaining the finer points of an unfamiliar topic would be helpful.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2011, 04:40:23 PM »
これは、初めてのシューティングは、銃に触れる前に、すべての衣類を削除するには慣習となっている。

靴は省略可能です

あなたにこのリストを与えた愚か者を無視する

お楽しみ銃

;)

Dude, that is totally my tattoo!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2011, 08:19:15 PM »
I work with this co-worker on almost daily basis, teleconference at least once a week. His English is good; but I figured a good translation explaining the finer points of an unfamiliar topic would be helpful.

The operative word is "good." That, the Google translation is not. To be more specific:  a native speaker of Japanese, holder of a CCW/CPL for six years, who is a reliability and quality engineer working on her PhD in industrial engineering (dissertation topic = organizational learning) says that translation is all [expletive deleted] up and asking for trouble  convinces me that using it is not in anyone's best interests.

You say that  his English is good? Good enough for him to  be insulted by your not having confidence in it?

Teaching hint: Cover just the basic rules with a little of your own elaboration and a few examples. Don't garbage them up with unneeded argumentation.
?Thomas Sowell

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2011, 11:10:32 PM »
KD5NRH --
Are you playing a practical joke or is someone playing one on you?

What?  You don't think those rules work better?   =D

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2011, 08:29:19 AM »
What?  You don't think those rules work better?

That depends on a number of factors:
  • The sexes of those involved
  • Whether they are straight or gay
  • Who else is going to find out
My apologies to all for being grumpy.
?Thomas Sowell

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2011, 10:17:12 AM »
That depends on a number of factors:
  • The sexes of those involved

Cameras and YouTube can get everybody involved :P

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2011, 02:15:50 PM »
Cameras and YouTube can get everybody involved :P

Undoubtedly true, and that would create unsurmountable barriers for me:
  • I am modest;
  • I am straight;
  • My wife carries a gun;
  • and I am chicken.
=D
?Thomas Sowell