Author Topic: Highlights of the Republican Spending Cuts Bill  (Read 1615 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Highlights of the Republican Spending Cuts Bill
« on: January 21, 2011, 11:57:51 AM »
A good start.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/257611/highlights-republican-spending-cuts-bill-daniel-foster

Essentially, cut back 2011 spending to 2008 levels.  From 2012 to 2021, maintain 2006 levels, plus a pack of other specific cuts.

Sounds reasonable, as I don;t recall 2006 as a year when bureaucrats yanked the bread from the mouths of babes or ordered oldsters into the cold streets to die.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• friend
Re: Highlights of the Republican Spending Cuts Bill
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 11:58:14 AM »
Still need to tackle "entitlements," defense, and HLS.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 12:01:32 PM »
Is this even anyhow capable of passing? I mean, actually passing both houses and being signed?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 12:07:35 PM »
I'm very happy to see the federal travel budget addressed. The number of people I see -- and that's run of the mill GS employees, not just bigwigs -- that travel to Hawaii and every other ridiculous location for meetings and conferences is simply ridiculous.

Many of these meetings can easily be held via teleconference, or if in person meetings are required, can be held either somewhere like Denver, a hub in the middle of the country, or DC, where govt contract flights are dirt cheap.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 12:08:07 PM »
Is this even anyhow capable of passing? I mean, actually passing both houses and being signed?

Doubtful, I'd say, but it's a good political move for the Republicans. The Dem's will talk about starving children and freezing old people.

It's always the same story. A major city the other day announced that budget cuts have forced the city to reduce the police force. I'm sure there were other areas to cut before even beginning to touch police services, but its a good way to scare the public back into paying more taxes.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 12:33:37 PM »
Funny how things I see as baby steps on the way to fiscal responsibilty have Democrats shrieking in anguish and making impassioned attacks that compare Republicans to everything from nazis to cannibals.

Well, OK, maybe not cannibals.

Yet.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 12:43:16 PM »
Funny how things I see as baby steps on the way to fiscal responsibilty have Democrats shrieking in anguish and making impassioned attacks that compare Republicans to everything from nazis to cannibals.

Well, OK, maybe not cannibals.

Yet.

Don'tt you mean "nazi cannibals?"
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 12:53:46 PM »
Don'tt you mean "nazi cannibals?"

<drool>

Yummm... Nazis..... Arghghghghghghgh...

</drool>
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 01:36:31 PM »
It will pass in the House easily.  Passage in the Senate and signing by the Prez are possible, though less likely.  It would take some timing, strategy and maneuvering. 

Many Senate Dems are up for reelection in 2012, and if we can keep the political pressure up you might find a few of them willing to cooperate to save their jobs.  The same might be true of Barry, but I'd put a lower probability on him.

A more likely outcome of this is a new bill, a compromise bill, that makes some cuts but not as many or as deep.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 02:13:23 PM »
I would rather see across the board cuts combined with some of the other proposals.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon