Author Topic: So, the cops comes home and finds his wife in bed with a young male  (Read 5273 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: So, the cops comes home and finds his wife in bed with a young male
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 12:12:35 AM »
Quote from:  linked article
While both Becks may be in legal trouble, they have no plans to divorce, Amy Beck's husband told reporters at her sentencing hearing in May.

"Her husband is absolutely standing by her," Michael Williamson told reporters.

I guess they deserve each other ......  :facepalm:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 12:37:08 AM »
Person with a temper like that does not have the mental capacity to be around a firearm.  [popcorn]
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 06:45:27 AM »
Generally threatening individuals with a firearm is a crime.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 07:13:27 AM »
Eh...Cop or no Cop, I'm inclined to give a guy a pass for screaming some version of "Get out of my house [wife?] before I kill you!" in that situation.  As long as there's no follow up stalking or threatening when he calms down there should be a little slack cut for emotional, verbal outbursts in a situation like that.

Yes, threatening someone with a gun is usually illegal, but context still matters.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 07:33:21 AM »
I think I would be screaming at the wife rather then the boy...  After all, she's the one that made the vows.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 07:56:26 AM »
Generally threatening individuals with a firearm is a crime.

But it was a very specific threat.  =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 08:45:33 AM »
I think I would be screaming at the wife rather then the boy...  After all, she's the one that made the vows.

Well, yes in the cold light of day I fully agree.  However I admit that if I actually walked in on it, I might spend a couple minutes in a slightly less rational state of mind.

Apply the libertarian test: what harm did the boy accrue by being yelled at while helping a man's wife cheat.  In fact, now that I think of it, the boy's parent's might owe the husband something for delivering a valuable lesson (messing around with married women can be dangerous) for free.  >:D

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 09:07:27 AM »
Apply the libertarian test: what harm did the boy accrue by being yelled at while helping a man's wife cheat

Can we apply that to all victims of threats of violence? After all, as long as they're not actually shot, no harm, no foul, right?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 09:42:59 AM »
The cop's name is "National"? With a name like that I can't blame him for having a temper...
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 09:50:27 AM »
Sigh.

Really, Micro?  

Yes, A one sentence test is henceforth able to determine justice in all conceivable situations.  That's exactly what I meant.

Look up another couple posts:
Quote from: dogmush
Yes, threatening someone with a gun is usually illegal, but context still matters.

What I meant, which I thought was kinda obvious, was in determining what should be done about this specific case of threatening we should look at the totality of the situation.  Guy comes home, finds adultery, and finds that the other guy is a 14 YO boy. Threatens boy verbally, but doesn't actually harm the boy.  End of drama.  I fail to see anything here that needs the justice system.

I also find it interesting that this entire forum will decry the stupidity of "Zero Tolerance" if a kid brings a toy gun to school, but is apparently unwilling to forgive an outburst from a man that just found his wife being banged by another man.  If he had actually harmed the kid, or if he had fallowed or stalked the kid some way to make the threat  I would be less willing to overlook it. But the totality of these circumstances, as reported in that article, don't IMO, require any legal intervention.  I just don't expect anyone to be 100% calm and rational in every circumstance.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 10:24:54 AM »
What?

Have I suggested that this man should receive the maximum possible sentence for this crime?

Have I suggested any form of punishment for this man at all?

But I do suggest that when an adult law enforcement officer - an individual who ought to know better - breaks the law, we should, as a society, condemn this.

No, it is not acceptable to be threatening individuals with violence because your wife broke her marriage vows. It may be forgivable, but it needs to be acknowledged as being morally wrong.

Consider this: in his job as law enforcement, he confronts - all the time - people who do horrible things, things that are far worse than having sex with someone's wife. If this angers him this much, what is he going to do when he meets a robbery suspect? A rape suspect?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 10:25:45 AM »

You would think, but most people seem to want to assign blame to the interloper. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 10:38:28 AM »

Consider this: in his job as law enforcement, he confronts - all the time - people who do horrible things, things that are far worse than having sex with someone's wife. If this angers him this much, what is he going to do when he meets a robbery suspect? A rape suspect?

I think you are underestimating the difference for the majority of folks between someone's wife and your wife.

And I would bet that if he threatened to shoot a rape or robbery subject that he caught in the act, no one would mind.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 10:50:48 AM »
The problem is, if he has issues controlling his temper over such a thing,  this raises questions.

Again, I'm not saying he is an evil, evil person. I'm saying, he did a bad thing.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2011, 10:52:10 AM »
This does not, of course, imply the young man's family are good people. OR that the young man is a good person.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2011, 11:16:12 AM »
where i live if he had shot the boy right there right away he likely woulda walked
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

brimic

• friends
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2011, 11:39:55 AM »
Apply the libertarian test: what harm did the boy boy's parents accrue by being having their son yelled at while helping a man's wife cheat.

FIFY.
This is just another disgusting episode of ambulance chasing and poor parenting.
In this country, a 14 year old cannot file a civil lawsuit.

This is not any different than the many cases over the last few years where parents have sued school districts when junior got kicked off the football team for drinking, claiming that their little angel had a disability (alcoholism) and the school was discriminating against them.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 11:43:16 AM by brimic »
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

• friends
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2011, 12:27:11 PM »
claiming that their little angel had a disability (alcoholism) and the school was discriminating against them.

damn  why didn't i think of that! :facepalm:
i'd be a multi millionaire
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2011, 01:26:03 PM »
The problem is, if he has issues controlling his temper over such a thing,  this raises questions.

Again, I'm not saying he is an evil, evil person. I'm saying, he did a bad thing.

a bad thing? Noooo, coming home to find your wife in bed with some dude and not getting angry is the bad thing.

gee willikers! cut the guy some slack!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2011, 01:30:45 PM »
damn  why didn't i think of that! Face Palm!
i'd be a multi millionaire

1. have character flaw
2. ?????????
3. profit.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2011, 01:31:01 PM »
I'm cutting him plenty of slack.

• friends
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2011, 01:33:13 PM »
kid didn't get hurt?  thats remarkable restraint

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2011, 01:57:38 PM »
kid didn't get hurt?  thats remarkable restraint

Not by the cop. Perhaps by the wife. Why arn't they sueing her?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

• friends
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2011, 02:04:55 PM »
its not really the cop the landsharks want.  its the lapd.  real deep pockets