Author Topic: Bristol Palin Set To Talk Abstinence  (Read 4566 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Bristol Palin Set To Talk Abstinence
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2011, 11:15:22 AM »
i have a young man i mentor   he was 15 when i met him  with 2 kids  the first was born when he was 12.  he was an excellent example to the other kids where he lived and was quick to let them learn from his experience.  he is also the kid that said "you don't pick your life partner at my age but what i feel or don't feel for those girls nothing changes the fact that those are my kids and i'm responsible for them."  he was current on his 500 bucks a month child support and one of the mosr squared away 17 year olds you'd ever meet
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2011, 11:17:51 AM »
When the guy who's missing a finger says "don't do that", I usually listen....

If I need directions, I’m not asking a man with one tooth. I’m asking a man with one leg. Because he definitely knows the easiest way to get there.

"How'd you lose that leg?" It's always something really manly: "Landmine! '69!" You see a guy with one arm, he's got a story, too: "Snowblower and a bottle of whiskey!" You see a guy with one tooth - where's the story? What could the story be? "Well i like a lotta taffy."

-- Dave Attell

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2011, 12:46:38 PM »
Except in this case she was told "don't do that" before she did it, and she did it anyway.  I think there's a lesson there, but not the one you're implying.
So you think the guy with a missing finger wasn't told anything about safety before he lost the finger?  Unlikely.

Most accidents are not by people who don't know the safety rules. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2011, 12:52:00 PM »
So you think the guy with a missing finger wasn't told anything about safety before he lost the finger?  Unlikely.

Most accidents are not by people who don't know the safety rules. 
Perzactly.  In most cases, it's a lack of respect for the consequences.  

Real world examples, like Bristol Palin's story or the hypothetical Missing Finger Dude, tend to go a long way in impressing people with the consequences.  That's why they're so effective.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2011, 01:05:11 PM »
don't confuse the issue with facts and reality
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I