Author Topic: Bristol Palin Set To Talk Abstinence  (Read 4565 times)

dogmush

• friend
Bristol Palin Set To Talk Abstinence
« on: January 26, 2011, 07:43:57 PM »
URL=http://www.fox2now.com/news/ktvi-bristol-palin-washingont-university-speaker-012611,0,6768810.story]News story[/URL]

Another thing that has students talking is the topic.  It's called "Bristol Palin and Panel: Abstinence in a College Setting." Bristol Palin never attended college.

The irony.  It amuses me.  That is all.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Bristol Palin Set To Talk Abstinence
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 07:44:56 PM »
DO AS I SAY.
NOT AS I DO.
:angel:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 07:51:22 PM »
Tres amusing.

I think she has a future as a politician.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 08:02:23 PM »
I imagine she can speak quite authoritatively on potential results of a lack of abstinence. Am I the only person that doesn't think that this isN'T hypocritical of her?

Edited because I'm an idiot and couldn't type out what I wanted too at the time.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 12:25:24 AM by RaspberrySurprise »
Look, tiny text!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 08:05:22 PM »
Why would anybody care what Bristol Palin has to say? What is her claim to fame apart from "My Mom is Sarah Palin"?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 08:25:11 PM »
I imagine she can speak quite authoritatively on potential results of a lack of abstinence. Am I the only person that doesn't think that this is hypocritical of her?

It's not lost on me, either.  When the guy who's missing a finger says "don't do that", I usually listen....

Why would anybody care what Bristol Palin has to say? What is her claim to fame apart from "My Mom is Sarah Palin"?

This is America, man! We don't have royalty, so we just worship political families and celebreties.  :facepalm:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 08:49:26 PM »
This is America, man! We don't have royalty, so we just worship political families and celebreties.  :facepalm:

And the royalty of other contries...

The today show is counting down...  ;/
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 09:03:35 PM »
I imagine she can speak quite authoritatively on potential results of a lack of abstinence. Am I the only person that doesn't think that this is hypocritical of her?
Sure, young people can learn lots from her:

1.)Have an idiot impregnate you to get on TV

2.) Dance on a TV show

3.) rake in tons of money as a result of being an idiot with functioning genitalia.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 09:29:30 PM »
Sure, young people can learn lots from her:

1.)Have an idiot impregnate you to get on TV

2.) Dance on a TV show

3.) rake in tons of money as a result of being an idiot with functioning genitalia.
Heh. "If I had practiced abstinence, I would've just been the Palin kid with the normal name. Since I slept around, I've become famous. So... yeah. Sex outside marriage is bad, and couldn't possibly help you."

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 10:24:36 PM »
Heh. "If I had practiced abstinence, I would've just been the Palin kid with the normal name. Since I slept around, I've become famous. So... yeah. Sex outside marriage is bad, and couldn't possibly help you."

Those that are too dumb to realize that chances of having the same thing happen to them as happened to her (at least the beneficiary parts) are too dumb to understand that babies don't come from the stork anyways.
Look, tiny text!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 11:22:47 PM »

No. If she's never been to college, then she would seem a little out of place, but not hypocritical.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 11:25:38 PM »
Those that are too dumb to realize that chances of having the same thing happen to them as happened to her (at least the beneficiary parts) are too dumb to understand that babies don't come from the stork anyways.

Some friends were discussing a show on MTV or something where teen parents are the topic, and how it's apparently catching flak because stupid teens are getting pregnant to attempt to get on the show.

One of my friends also mentioned that those kids on the show make a LOT of money.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 12:27:26 AM »
Edited my original post to clarify that I intended to say that I didn't think her stumping for abstinence was hypocritical.

As Jamis said, you tend to listen to the guy missing fingers when it comes to explosives or sharp objects, so listening to someone with a kid about the consequences of sex does make sense.

Some friends were discussing a show on MTV or something where teen parents are the topic, and how it's apparently catching flak because stupid teens are getting pregnant to attempt to get on the show.

One of my friends also mentioned that those kids on the show make a LOT of money.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!
Look, tiny text!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 12:41:14 AM »
i know a guy who sucks at relationships.  in his life a relationship is using the same hooker enough that she'll take his checks.  he offers outstanding relationship advice based on his own experience at what does not work
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 01:25:37 AM »
It's not lost on me, either.  When the guy who's missing a finger says "don't do that", I usually listen....

Well, it's not that Bristol's life is HORRIBLY BROKEN. Because it, you know, isn't.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 02:33:16 AM »
I like Bristol a lot more then I do Chelsea Clinton
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 05:17:51 AM »
Well, it's not that Bristol's life is HORRIBLY BROKEN. Because it, you know, isn't.

It helps if your mummy and daddy have money, and TV wants to throw money at you.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 06:24:06 AM »
The only method in history ever proven to have resulted in significant populations remaining abstinent is extreme gender segregation.

If you live in a place where men and women are allowed to mingle with any hope of privacy, abstinence is an empty word.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course.  Yes, there will always be a few who brag about remaining abstinent before marriage for religious reasons (which is, today, the only reason for it)....but even amongst those there're sure to be a significant percentage who aren't telling the truth.

In my view, this is the sort of thing that belongs in church, where it makes some sense.  It makes no sense if you take religious principles out of the equation. 
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 07:25:51 AM »
In my view, this is the sort of thing that belongs in church, where it makes some sense.  It makes no sense if you take religious principles out of the equation. 

I disagree.  Even amongst non religious folks there are significant emotional consequences to sex.  We're just wired that way.  espesially younger people. (<about 23) I am by no means a no sex till marriage guy, but looking back now I wish I had been a little more choosy about where and who I bedded.  I have no children and no diseases but I do have some memories of girls left in emotional carnage, as well as several years spent sorting out my own intamacy issues before I could grow as close to my wife as I now am.  All compleatly divorced from any religious views.

A frank discussion with young people that sex should probably wait till a strong emotional attachment forms (maybe not "marriage in a secular world, but commited monogamous relationship anyway) is probably a healthy thing for them.  Except they won't listen.

On the OP, I didn't call it hypocritical, I called it funny.  Bristol might have some useful things to say on the subject. (I doubt it from what little I've seen her talk, but she might)  But that doesn't take away from the funny of having a single mother high-school grad on a discussion panel about abstinence in a college setting.  Knowing the college students I do, I also find the odds of any student talking her seriously pretty low.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2011, 07:34:53 AM »
I agree that sex has significant emotional implications - we are wired that way.  We're also wired to seek out partners and have sex.  In considering our regrets, we do also need to factor in that we live in a place where the abstinence & consequences messages are fairly constant.  Without those, you might not actually mind that much about your past, and some of the emotional carnage might not have been so bad.

I'd completely agree with you about education on sex and emotional attachment - but that's not abstinence education.  It would be more like a component of the "here's the biology, here's the technology" sex ed that's in public schools. 

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2011, 07:50:49 AM »
In my view, this is the sort of thing that belongs in church, where it makes some sense.

Jeez; people always looked at me like I was a bad person for doing that sort of thing in a church.

Oh...wait...you mean the sort of thing that involves refraining from that sort of thing...well...I did that in a church too.  Not by my choice, though.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2011, 08:49:46 AM »

Except in this case she was told "don't do that" before she did it, and she did it anyway.  I think there's a lesson there, but not the one you're implying.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2011, 10:01:51 AM »
The human body releases all kinds of funny chemicals get released when you do it.
Teenagers have enough of those.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2011, 10:41:28 AM »
It's not lost on me, either.  When the guy who's missing a finger says "don't do that", I usually listen....
Exactly.

Teens tend to think they're invincible.  They'll often ignore sound advice from adults, thinking it can't happen to them, that those adults don't know anything.  It's a lot harder to ignore this advice from one of your own, someone who demonstrably wasn't invincible.  

It reminds me of some folks I knew in high school.  There was a circle of friends who were into street racing motorcycles.  The adults warned them that what they were doing was dangerous, that they should be careful, that they shouldn't be racing high powered bikes.  They didn't listen.

Then one of 'em wrapped his face around a tree at high speed, earning himself a closed casket funeral. The rest of 'em gave up their bikes right quick.  They could have learned from the wisdom of the adults, but they didn't.  They DID learn from the experience of one of their own, one who discovered firsthand that he wasn't invincible.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2011, 10:44:20 AM »

Hellifiknow.

Seems to me her only real qualification is getting knocked up by a loser.  JJ makes a good point about listening to her on that basis, but there are puh-lenty of gals who are so qualified.

i know a guy who sucks at relationships.  in his life a relationship is using the same hooker enough that she'll take his checks.  he offers outstanding relationship advice based on his own experience at what does not work

Yet, he is wise enough to not put it on the credit card.

Instructions to abstain and/or put much thought before hopping in the sack, as well as a nice rundown of consequences is not something that is merely religious.  Atheist chicks can end up knocked up with baby-daddy nowhere to be found, too.  And atheist guys can have their wages garnished for 18+ years for knocking up a gal.

There are many non-religious reasons to keep this sort of behavior under control.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton