Author Topic: Media player  (Read 604 times)

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Media player
« on: January 26, 2011, 10:08:28 PM »
Anyone have experience with media players?
I'm looking for something that can play most file formats and retrieve them from a networked computer.
I was looking at this one. But I'm just not sure what they are all about.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6448464&CatId=3675

It would be helpful if it was wifi and also has to have some sort of low def output. My current tube does not do hdmi but I want the option. Hopefully that will be fixed this spring.

I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
Re: Media player
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 09:53:47 AM »
I'm looking around for similar devices right now.  I've also got friends and family that are into it.

One friend has a Boxee install going on Windows 7 w/ HDMI output to his TV.  He's also got a device that streams over the air TV signals through his network which Windows Media Center picks up and he uses that as a DVR.  Then he's got a custom remote (like $150) that drives everything.  It's pretty slick but he's got darned near $1k into it all I think.

My brother grabbed a D-Link Boxee Box (which runs Linux) for about $200 a while ago.  It works, I guess, but it doesn't have Netflix streaming yet and it was supposed to ship with that.  My brother is not happy with it.

I'm starting to lean toward getting a Blu-Ray player that'll do NetFlix, Hulu, and play media files off network attached storage.  I figure I'm going to have to get a Blu-Ray player eventually, and it'll have to have a network connection anyway, so if I can get one device to do it all that's probably best.  I'm seeing one from Toshiba out there that's only $110 or so and does everything except play off network storage.  I'd have to manually download videos to an SD card for it to play them.  Workable.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 10:13:32 AM »
apple TV

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/apple_tv?afid=p219%7CGOUS&cid=OAS-US-KWG-AppleTV-US

100bucks

H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 11:48:38 PM »
apple TV

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/apple_tv?afid=p219%7CGOUS&cid=OAS-US-KWG-AppleTV-US

100bucks

H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format
I don't think I keen on anything from apple. I would rather not deal with the incompatibility problems. I remember waisting about 8 hours of my life screwing with one of those airport things.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods