Author Topic: Sling, Nylon Web, 1" Wide With Metal Buckles  (Read 1229 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Sling, Nylon Web, 1" Wide With Metal Buckles
« on: January 27, 2011, 02:15:11 PM »
You'd think I was asking for the Moon.

All I want is something like the old-school GI M16/M4 two-point sling.  The nylon web  one with black buckles/hardware.

My only deviation is that I want it 1" wide, not 1.25" wide.

I can find all sorts of "quick adjust" tacti-fool gew-gaws, but nothing simple and likely to stay where the freak I adjust it to.  Those gussied up slings unbuckle, slip, & are generally worthless.

This is for a Chipmunk rifle for my son.  The deal is that the Chipmunk requires a 3/8" front (1) screw-in sling stud, which is im-freaking-possible to find outside the swivel & stud pack from Chipmunk.  Uncle Mikes makes it, but sells it only direct to the Chipmunk mafia company.  Chipmunk sells slings, but the worthless padded "cobra" slings good for use only as a carrying strap, not as a shooting aid.

My son does not need the extra 0.25" of sling width.  

I am sorely tempted to buy entirely new 1.25" sling hardware, swivels & studs both, cut down the front to 3/8" with my dremel, and use the old-school GI slings.  

The more I think about it, I am just going to toss the sling HW form CHipmunk.

(1) 1/2" rear.  Most rifles use 1/2" front & 3/4" or 1" rear.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Chuck Dye

• friend
Re: Sling, Nylon Web, 1" Wide With Metal Buckles
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 03:33:00 PM »
Brownell's is my go to reference.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=40175/Product/NYLON_WEB_SLINGS

Use their search tool, there are other options.

Call Brownell's, ask for a dead tree catalog.  Say you want a free one and invoke Tom Gresham's GunTalk.  Have it addressed to your son, kids love to get mail of almost any kind.  If kiddo is young enough for a Chipmunk, be prepared to answer questions about a lot of catalog items.  It will be quality time and kiddo's shooting horizons will expand.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 03:43:16 PM by Chuck Dye »
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 03:44:29 PM »
You'd think I was asking for the Moon.

All I want is something like the old-school GI M16/M4 two-point sling.  The nylon web  one with black buckles/hardware.

My only deviation is that I want it 1" wide, not 1.25" wide.

I can find all sorts of "quick adjust" tacti-fool gew-gaws, but nothing simple and likely to stay where the freak I adjust it to.  Those gussied up slings unbuckle, slip, & are generally worthless.

This is for a Chipmunk rifle for my son.  The deal is that the Chipmunk requires a 3/8" front (1) screw-in sling stud, which is im-freaking-possible to find outside the swivel & stud pack from Chipmunk.  Uncle Mikes makes it, but sells it only direct to the Chipmunk mafia company.  Chipmunk sells slings, but the worthless padded "cobra" slings good for use only as a carrying strap, not as a shooting aid.

My son does not need the extra 0.25" of sling width.  

I am sorely tempted to buy entirely new 1.25" sling hardware, swivels & studs both, cut down the front to 3/8" with my dremel, and use the old-school GI slings.  

The more I think about it, I am just going to toss the sling HW form CHipmunk.

(1) 1/2" rear.  Most rifles use 1/2" front & 3/4" or 1" rear.

Why not just buy 1" webbing and metal sliders?

http://www.rockywoods.com/Hardware-Zippers/Nylon-and-Poly-Webbing-Fabrics/1-Tubular-Nylon-Webbing-Black
http://www.rockywoods.com/Hardware-Zippers/D-Rings-Tri-Rings-Triglides-Looplocks-Sliders/Nickel-Sliders
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 04:15:10 PM »
Why not just buy 1" webbing and metal sliders?

http://www.rockywoods.com/Hardware-Zippers/Nylon-and-Poly-Webbing-Fabrics/1-Tubular-Nylon-Webbing-Black
http://www.rockywoods.com/Hardware-Zippers/D-Rings-Tri-Rings-Triglides-Looplocks-Sliders/Nickel-Sliders

Ditto. I can get that for only a couple bucks at my local Army-Navy Surplus. It's literally like $0.25 per foot of webbing and a quarter per slider.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 05:23:21 PM »
Harold & Chuck:

Those are the sort I was whining about.  That non-slider bit of hardware will  be the "quick adjust" part that goes tits up.

Chuck:

Brownells already has my C&R03 FFL & I get their catalogs, but your idea is grand.

RevDisk & KGB:

Great ideas.  I have done similar things in the past, but managed to forget in my towering fit of sand in my -----.

I found the solution:

I bought all the 1.25" HW except the slings from Brownells.  C&R03 Dealer discount FTW!

Included is a bunch of wood screw studs and they will get the dermel treatment before installation.  I told Uncle Mike to p--- off and bought my son some polymer swivels that have a good reputation.  He's not likely to sling up quite as tight as I am wont to do, anyway.

I bought 5 GI slings w/ sliders from Sarco for $3.30/each + shipping. [Two for my son (original Chipmunk stock & cut down to fit stock), and three for my three social shotguns.]

While I was getting all sling-y, I went to the Appleseed store and bought two of the cotton M14 GI slings, too, and a 50-pack of the Q&D AQT.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton