Author Topic: Obama to Push Gun Control Agenda  (Read 1845 times)

Waitone

• friend
Obama to Push Gun Control Agenda
« on: January 27, 2011, 06:18:19 PM »
Not mentioned in SOTU message but Obama is evidently preparing a gun control initiative. 

Source of the story may not be fully credible, but it is consistent with the president's past proclivities.
http://www.newsweek.com/2011/01/27/white-house-to-push-gun-control.html
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Obama to Push Gun Control Agenda
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 06:23:17 PM »
SOTU is high profile.

A proposed bill after the SOTU falls flat in the political off-season near tax time.  It appeases the grabbers by proposing a presidential lame duck bill, but it's a non-starter in a Tea Party House.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 09:22:46 AM »
AZRedhawk nailed it. nuthin but political posturing by our Community Organizer in Chief.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 10:22:23 AM »
AZRedhawk nailed it. nuthin but political posturing by our Community Organizer in Chief.

And actually quite helpful, as continued opposition will help fuel the continued growth the current growing wave of gun culture, which is much more focused on rights than on sports.  Mt preferred shooting styles are all more traditional sporting styles, but I value the current and growing focus on rights for everyone and all their guns.   

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 10:29:10 AM »
I think some of them are dumb enough to try it.  I also think the smart ones, and there is such a thing as a smart politician, will run away screaming at the mention of it.  Even the mildly retarded ones remember the losses they incurred the last time they went after guns.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 10:39:48 AM »
I think some of them are dumb enough to try it.  I also think the smart ones, and there is such a thing as a smart politician, will run away screaming at the mention of it.  Even the mildly retarded ones remember the losses they incurred the last time they went after guns.

Nope.

I am a HUGE cynic, but if they didn't have a 2500 page Gabby Giffords Memorial Omnibus Neighborhood Pacification and Gun Crime Eradication Bill ready to go on Tuesday after that Tucson shooting, then they're not going to do it.

The legislation has been written for decades.  It's been analyzed into logical blocks, just waiting for an opportune tragedy to propose (or re-propose in the case of portions of the sunsetted AWB) on the floor of the House and Senate.

Even the Senate doesn't have the bawlz to come after the guns.  Harry knows he's pretty much at 50/50 and coming across as foaming Pelosi-ites is going to shift the house to a 60/40 in the 2012 Senate races.  Harry also barely survived Nevada because he kissed *expletive deleted*ss to the NRA and the shooting community there.

The Senate DOES NOT WANT Tea Party Republicans in its ranks, and they're not going to rock the boat any more.  It's the good old boys' club of politics.  Jeffersonian values have no place there. ;/ 

The Senate going after guns would be the end of many careers... most of the blue dog and RINO senators in flyover America would lose their next primaries.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 11:15:18 AM »
The sky is not falling.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 12:26:16 PM »
The sky is not falling.

Sez you.

Frankly, a certain level of catastrophizing is great for the  movement and the related industries.  As far as the far left is concerned that may make us all a bunch of fascists, but as far as I'm concerned with "traditional" values and lifestyles dying--in this rural living and the value of self-sufficiency, we need a different way to preserve and promote gun ownership.  Over the past couple decades, a pattern of politically motivated catastrophizing has developed, and so far it is *seriously* working for the gunny side of the issue. I agree they're probably not going to be successful, I suspect that for long-term gains, nothing would be better than a moderately successful attempt at new sweeping legislation.  They try, they end up with something neutered and pointless like the AWB, and the backlash builds for years.  Hello concealed carry in all states, repeal of Lautenberg, constitutional challenges to prohibiting persons absent due process, etc.

(I use the phrase "neutered and pointless" because I am convinced that a total ban would result in fewer overall deaths. I just don't think it's either worth it or just to do so. Not that interested in saving the lives if predators.)

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 12:32:03 PM »
I am convinced that a total ban would result in fewer overall deaths. I just don't think it's either worth it or just to do so. Not that interested in saving the lives if predators.)

Well, they tried that in Washington D.C. and it actually didn't work that way.  Violent crime in England has gotten pretty bad and we all know what gun control there has devolved into .....
No one has ever proven gun control works to save lives.

As far as Obama is concerned ... I don't know; let's wait and see.
Keep your powder dry ........ :angel:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 01:33:41 PM »
Give Obama and the Left enough time and enough power and we'll ALL be gangbangers.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.