Author Topic: New York City Investigates Arizona Gun Show  (Read 4618 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
New York City Investigates Arizona Gun Show
« on: January 31, 2011, 12:44:31 AM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/31/us/31guns.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

New York City Investigates Arizona Gun Show
By MARC LACEY
Published: January 30
PHOENIX — Weeks after a shooting left six dead and 13 injured in Tucson, New York City sent undercover investigators to an Arizona gun show and found instances in which private sellers sold semiautomatic pistols even after buyers said they probably could not pass background checks, city officials said.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: New York City Investigates Arizona Gun Show
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 12:53:24 AM »
Don't give me that juris-my-diction crap either!

Awfully convenient, they probably come with their own cuffs. Cuff 'em to a lamp post and stick an I *heart NY t-shirt on them.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 01:18:40 AM »
Didn't they already try this stunt before?  :facepalm:

I wonder how much it costs to send them all the way to Arizona, pay for their time there, and bring them back.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 02:31:59 AM »
They forget they used to be the capital of the US.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 02:40:52 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 09:01:18 AM »
instances in which private sellers sold semiautomatic pistols even after buyers said they probably could not pass background checks

I know it's a crime to sell to those who aren't legally eligible, but is that actionable?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 10:12:56 AM »
Bloomie tried that here in Virginia, and got a law passed to criminalize it for his troubles.

There have been a few times since when folks who came to gun shows in cars with NY plates on their cars were followed by both state/local cops who are assigned to the shows and by the promoters themselves.  Unfortunately the following was quite obvious and no arrests were made.

The only guy who seems to be getting away with buying guns while not eligible seems to be Colin Goddard, whose Living for 32 cinematic display of dancing in the blood of the victims of the Va Tech massacre won the Sundance Film Festival award (Wow!  Never would have guessed that would happen.)  Why BAFTEIEIO has never gone after him, what with all the video evidence he created, remains a mystery.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 01:18:23 PM »
The investigation, part of an effort by Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg’s administration to crack down on illegal gun sales nationwide, took place Jan. 23 at the Crossroads of the West Gun Show in Phoenix, officials said.

Bloomberg must have taken lessons from Al Haig.  Good to know he's in charge!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 01:27:11 PM »
In two instances, the New York undercover officers specifically said before buying a gun, “I probably couldn’t pass a background check,” but were still sold guns, city officials said.

According to a transcript from one investigator’s purchase of a Sig Sauer pistol at the Phoenix show, the exchange went like this:

Investigator: “So, you’re not one of those, you know, dealer guys, right?”

Seller: “No. No tax, no form, you don’t have to do transfers or nothing.”

Investigator: “Yeah, yeah.”

Seller: “Just see an Arizona ID and that’s it with me.”

Investigator: “So no background check?”

Seller: “No.”

Investigator: “That’s good, because I probably couldn’t pass one, you know what I mean?”

The seller sold the gun for $500.

Bring up the guys who made the sales on charges: They sold handguns to interstate buyers.  That's a no-no.  And they sold handguns to guys who expressly said they're probably not eligible to buy.  That's a no-no.

Or, bring up the "investigators" on charges for falsifying ID's.

Or both.

Let's enforce what we've got already.  Obviously we're failing there.  Adding more laws just results in more failed enforcement.

And none of this would have stopped Jared Laughner.  He bought his Glock from an FFL and passed the NICS check.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 01:49:14 PM »
And lied on his form 4473, question 12 e (Are you an unlawful user of and/ or addicted to an illegal drug).

The entire system is a sham.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 01:50:41 PM »
Let's enforce what we've got already.

No, let's go back at least to pre-1968  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 02:11:05 PM »
No, let's go back at least to pre-1934  =)

FTFY.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 02:12:43 PM »
No, let's go back at least to pre-1776  =)
FTFY.

Oh, wait. Never mind.  :facepalm:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Seenterman

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 04:01:16 PM »
Ask a New Yorkers can someone come to New York and pull this same stunt? I'm sure you can get some guns off the street if you ask around enough and prove that Bloomberg doesn't rule some freaking Utopia as he seems to think. Its not like there's a shooting here almost everyday  :facepalm: but all New Yorkers know the problem is really 2000 miles away in Arizona. Bad Arizona! BAD!

Can I go buy some handguns illegally to prove a point?

You can't get arrested for committing a crime, if you commit the crime just to prove you can commit the crime. Right? Is that how it works?

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 04:28:15 PM »
Bloomie is just wanting more press and is willing to use the tragedy in AZ to further his agenda.   [barf] [barf] [barf]
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 04:36:27 PM »
That and he can't pull this stunt in his neighbors backyards anymore without his lackeys getting pinched for it.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2011, 05:40:07 PM »
There's lots of places to dig holes in the desert.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2011, 09:49:37 PM »
The transcript says the seller asked for ID but doesn't specify if he got any.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2011, 09:52:58 PM »
Right.  Because there isn't enough crime in NYC for the local authorities to deal with.  They have to go across the country to find some crime worth fighting.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 10:01:54 PM »
that's crime that's safe to investigate.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2011, 10:46:46 PM »
There's lots of places to dig holes in the desert.

Nah, just throw them over the mexican border, let the drug cartel show them all those guns coming from the US.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2011, 11:13:32 PM »
I caught a news segment  a couple of hours ago showing Bloomberg talking about this. I always knew he was a weasel, but in that segment, he got promoted up my list to mealy-mouthed weasel.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2011, 01:29:37 AM »
For someone who seems to have national political aspirations he sure doesn't seem to realize this isn't winning him any friends aside from his fellow anti-gun travelers outside of NYC.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2011, 02:49:08 AM »
I'd pay money to see the local LE prone these f'ers out and stick several 9mm's/40S&W's in the back of their necks and scatter the contents of their pockets all over the parking lot.

Then have them fall up and down stairs at the station 3 or 4 times.

If I was the sheriff and someone from out side of my jurisdiction came in and tried to pull this crap, they'd do it ONCE.  Because my friendly judge they got put in front of would kick them so hard in the balls that Bloomie would be speakin' an octave or two higher for a month. 

[/rant]
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2011, 10:07:39 AM »
A story said that private investigators from NYC purchased guns in AZ at Bloomberg's direction.

If the PI's were actually from NYC and not local (AZ) hires, wouldn't the purchase be a Federal crime on the part of the purchasers, not just the sellers?

And since Bloomberg was behind it, wouldn't that make him part of a criminal conspiracy?

I don't expect Eric Holder to take an interest, but over in the House, Pelosi & Company are no longer in charge. So . . . this sounds like an opportunity for Republicans like Rep. Darrell Issa (R-CA), the Chairman of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, to summon some Federal law enforcement bigwigs before his committee and have them testify - under oath and on the record - as to exactly why no charges are being filed even after what appears to be a public admission of criminal activity on the part of Bloomberg and his minions.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2011, 06:53:17 PM »
Was this done by a private seller, not a business? And if so, is a private seller required to make sure they are allowed to purchase it?  ???
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic