Author Topic: Twilight's last reaming... Christina Aguilera screws up national anthem...  (Read 5256 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
http://www.ivillage.com/christina-aguilera-screws-super-bowl-national-anthem/1-a-320929

When she was supposed to sing the line "O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming," she sang, "What so proudly we watched at the twilight's last reaming," completely mangling an earlier lyric, with the word "watched" instead of "hailed" and "reaming" instead of "gleaming."

I hope she gets reamed for it.  Really irks me when the Left Coast gets tapped to make noises resembling our National Anthem and can't even get 1 stinking verse of it right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-7_8sxvLIw
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: Twilight's last reaming... Christina Aguilera screws up national anthem...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 10:33:46 AM »
goofed lyrics aside..  can't people just sing the damned thing anymore?  She completely butchered it from a style standpoint!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 10:44:07 AM »
Hey, I bet neither of YOU could do as well as the wailing harpy did if you, too, were drunk off your *expletive deleted*ss, as she was reported to be.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 10:50:32 AM »
At my daughters choir concert this winter, the director noted that the national anthem is supposed to be a sing along not a showboat.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 10:58:40 AM »
As the National Anthem, it has music and lyrics assigned.  The National Anthem is not an opportunity to present your latest stylistic interpretation on a theme.

The only time I will forgive any deviation from the music as it is written is in the movie (whatever it's name - I'm old and forget stuff like that) where the Navy band on the afterdeck of some battleship at Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941 gets about halfway through then changes the tempo to triple-time.  (And even the OOD had the decency to hold the sounding of General Quarters until the band had finished playing.)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 10:59:25 AM »
While we're kicking the drunk around, what is with the awful "lipstick up along your sniffle ridge & down do your chin" bit?

Makes gals with nice face & lips look like freaks.  Especially in 1080p.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 11:09:08 AM »
I wanted to post this apart from my previous post.  It's an Emily Post post.

Would someone please refresh my memory on the ettiquette involved in dealing with those who will not:
a) stand when the National Anthem is played?  (Yes, you foreigners, too.)
b) face the music when the National Anthem is played?
c) remove their head covering (if male and not in uniform) when the National Anthem is played?
    c, i) place hat over left breast (render hand salute if in uniform)
    c, ii) place hand over left breast if male and not wearing head covering, or if female
d) remain silent if not singing the words when the National Anthem is played?
e) at least pause in slurping beverage when the National Anthem is played?

I'm OK with those who wait until the last note has sounded before uttering the presumed final two words of the anthem.  I will contain my miffedness at those who cannot wait, unless they are located immediately next to me.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 12:21:49 PM »
At my daughters choir concert this winter, the director noted that the national anthem is supposed to be a sing along not a showboat.

Well said.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 01:13:42 PM »

Would someone please refresh my memory on the ettiquette involved in dealing with those who will not:
c) remove their head covering (if male and not in uniform) when the National Anthem is played?
    c, ii) place hand over left breast if male and not wearing head covering, or if female

I'm OK with those who wait until the last note has sounded before uttering the presumed final two words of the anthem.  I will contain my miffedness at those who cannot wait, unless they are located immediately next to me.

stay safe.

i'm not emily post but if they are standing close enough an elbow strike would work

heres a better rendition   with a lil help from the crowd
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1347018/Hockey-crowd-rescues-girl-8-national-anthem-disaster-microphone-cuts-out.html
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 01:34:55 PM by cassandra and sara's daddy »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 01:17:52 PM »
goofed lyrics aside..  can't people just sing the damned thing anymore?  She completely butchered it from a style standpoint!

Exactly.

While we're kicking the drunk around, what is with the awful "lipstick up along your sniffle ridge & down do your chin" bit?

Makes gals with nice face & lips look like freaks.  Especially in 1080p.

That washed up crackhead Aguilara has looked like a freak for many years now...At 11:00PM the other night while she was snorting a line of crack, she probably suddenly remembered that she was supposed to do the Anthem the next day...

Honestly, our Anthem is snubbed by being sung by such a stupid little slut.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 01:29:53 PM »

Well, I don't know if she's a slut or not and I think it's a bit low-brow to bash her lack of talent by somehow linking it to unfounded allegations of excessive promiscuity...

But I do think she's a non-talent and should be publicly shamed for flubbing the Anthem.  And that the Hollyweird crowd that tends to be invited to do the Anthem should perform it honorably and simply, at the prescribed cadence with the prescribed melody.  Something that would help these pop-divas stay on target would be an orchestral or band accompaniment.  With a conductor keeping time.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 01:33:05 PM »

stay safe.

At the house, I made the rugrats stand when the National Anthem was played.  My boy made some remark about only needing to stand if you are there.  I wasn't buying it and insisted.

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 01:34:50 PM »
But I do think she's a non-talent and should be publicly shamed for flubbing the Anthem.  And that the Hollyweird crowd that tends to be invited to do the Anthem should perform it honorably and simply, at the prescribed cadence with the prescribed melody.  Something that would help these pop-divas stay on target would be an orchestral or band accompaniment.  With a conductor keeping time.

Surely there are servicemembers or former/retired servicemembers who can sing the Anthem properly and give it respect instead of Hollywierd 'tards...

Well, I don't know if she's a slut or not and I think it's a bit low-brow to bash her lack of talent by somehow linking it to unfounded allegations of excessive promiscuity..

Dude, she was the Brittney Spears of her time (which was right before Brittney Spears). She was actively marketing sexual promiscuity to preteen girls. Our anthem was very much sullied by having her sing it...she's washed up trash that just needs to fade from the public eye. When you are talking about people like Aguilara, Spears, Lohan and the rest of their ilk...you really can't go low-brow...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 02:09:56 PM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1347018/Hockey-crowd-rescues-girl-8-national-anthem-disaster-microphone-cuts-out.html

As it should be... very cool.  Kudos to the little girl for continuing (and she was danged good for being 8 years old... Aguilera could learn a thing or two from her), and plus eleventy awesomepoints to the crowd for assisting.
--Lysander Spooner

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 02:24:42 PM »
gonna guess lots of military at the game.  i remember standing for the anthem at base movie theaters
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 02:26:22 PM »
can't people just sing the damned thing anymore?  She completely butchered it from a style standpoint!

Amen, brother.  Amen.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 02:44:12 PM »

Dang, what she did before the mic cut out was better than 95% attempts by celebrity singers.

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2011, 02:49:14 PM »
Exactly.

That washed up crackhead Aguilara has looked like a freak for many years now...At 11:00PM the other night while she was snorting a line of crack, she probably suddenly remembered that she was supposed to do the Anthem the next day...

It'd be one thing to call her trashy, etc.  This level of vitriol, however, isn't really in keeping with the standards of APS.  I don't predict this thread going anywhere fast.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”