Author Topic: Router help  (Read 819 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Router help
« on: March 24, 2006, 12:27:34 PM »
I'm having a problem.  My network is such:
Comcast cable, RCA router hooked to a Netgear wireless router, and the PC and Vonage both slave off that....suppossedly.  However, right now the only way I can connect to the 'net is directly to the RCA.  
The Netgear wireless seems to be operating okay, it lights up across the board.....Is it possible that the cable went bad?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Marnoot

• friend
Router help
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 12:58:22 PM »
I've had nothing but bad luck with NetGear. But brand preferences aside, if you're getting a link light on the Netgear router for WAN/Internet when you plug the ethernet cable from the cable modem in, it's not likely to be the cable. With my old Netgear router, I occasionally had to do a hard reset of it and re-set all the options to get it working again. Instructions on doing such a reset should be in your manual, which you can get off NetGear's site if you no longer have it.

If connecting straight to the cable modem is getting you a connection, the problem is definitely in the Netgear router. I would try the hard reset, and if that doesn't work, double-check settings in the router to make sure it's getting its IP from the cable modem (DHCP = On/yes), as that is the simplest way to get addressing between the two working. Problems with routers are often ethereal and difficult to track down, let us know what you try and whether it works!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Router help
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 01:04:10 PM »
Hard reboot, Check.
Internet light comes on.
The router starts me through the automated setup, but won't aquire a network address.  Just shows 0's and hangs up there.
I tried going to the vonage (linksys) router and couldn't get it to light up at all.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
Router help
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 05:30:34 PM »
I got a new cable modem from Comcast in January when we moved. Had to load Comcast's crapware provisioning files on one computer, which allowed the cable modem to init. Once that was done, I put my router in the stram above the cable modem, let the cable modem see the router as the 'computer address', then connected the 'identified' computer to the router, accessed the cable modem (192.168.100.1) and checked things:

Configuration Parameters:
 Computers Allowed by Service Provider: 1
 Computers Detected by Modem: 1
Data Service Details  

Provisioned Address: Yes  
        Provisioned Time: Yes  
        Provisioned Configuration: Yes  
        BPI: Enabled  

From time to time I need to unplug the power to the frazzlin' little black matchbox and recycle. I sure miss my old Motorola SurfBoard.

Makes it hard to use my Vonage VoIP when it does that.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein