Author Topic: Great opportunity for WI to pass the best CCW bill  (Read 6258 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Great opportunity for WI to pass the best CCW bill
« on: February 18, 2011, 11:59:43 PM »
It would be a terrible political move for the WI Republicans to pass the budget bill with the Democrats not participating. However, it would be a very good time to get the shall-issue bill through committee and on to the assembly and senate floors and on to the governor. If Fitzgerald in the senate and Fitzgerald in the assembly could hold their troops together, the bill could be passed unamended before the Democrats return. 

Regolith

• friend
Re: Great opportunity for WI to pass the best CCW bill
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 12:29:47 AM »
Have they managed to drag a Democrat back to the state house in order to form a quorum yet, or are they all still cowering in their holes?
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 12:40:00 AM »
No, the senate Democrats are spread out all over northern Illinois.

Today the Republican assembly passed the budget bill after assembly Democrats didn't show. When the Democrats did show, the Republicans caved to the Dem's protests and rescinded the vote so debate could take place.

If the assembly could pass the budget bill without any Democrats, it may just be a rule in the senate that there must be a quorum. It may also be the case that such rules only apply to budget bills.

It's certainly something to consider. If it can be done, and there's complaining about it later, the Republicans can say that the Dem's had a chance to debate the bill, but chose to hide in IL.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 05:38:29 AM »
Dick,

IIRC, there are enough R's in the assembly to form a quorum (and pass bills).  There needs to be 20 in Senate to form a quorum and there are only 19 R's.  Enough to pass the bill(s), but not enough for a quorum.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 08:42:43 AM »
Day by Day today (20feb2011) has them here.

(The exterior of the Tilted Kilt at that location looks exactly like that. Except all the snow would have melted over the last few days.   It happens to also be the bus stop where I meet #1 Son when he flies in.)

Haul in the minimum number, and get to it.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 04:30:16 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 08:49:16 AM »
Pass a bill requiring teacher CCW training and marksmanship curriculum in public schools. I bet everyone would rush back to Madison on that one.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 08:57:34 AM »
Somewhere I read that the quorum is only required for financial bills.  Is this true?

If so, nothing's really stopping the Republicans from hammering away at everything else.  Unless this is a special session, and they can only touch the issue the session was called to deal with, anyway.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

BMacklem

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 09:08:22 AM »
There is talk from Fitz that they just very well might move on to other things like Voter ID and concealed/constitutional carry whilst waiting for our wayward children to come home.

The quorum rule is only in the senate, and that's for a finance bill, so anything else is fair game as I understand it, so they're hoping that by pushing something else through (like carry laws) that the "heroic" 14 might return.

I mean come on, what else are the republicans supposed to do while waiting? Twiddle their thumbs?
This state needs to continue moving forward, and if those cowards that fled to Illinois want to keep Wisconsin at a stalemate, then they're the ones to blame for anything wrong with Govenor Walkers administration from now on.

I mean sheesh...it's not like they're just trying to do the damn jobs we elected them to do or anything.

And how DARE Walker actually live up to his campaign promises....the audacity.

ronnyreagan

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 09:16:40 AM »
Would a ccw bill be likely to address gun free school zones? That's one of my biggest concerns and I haven't heard much about it yet.
You have to respect the president, whether you agree with him or not.
Obama, however, is not the president since a Kenyan cannot legally be the U.S. President ;/

BMacklem

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 09:23:18 AM »
That's up for debate, some say it's a local thing, others have said that it's a federal law. I'm not sure, but I'd certainly like to see it repealed.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 11:05:39 AM »
That's up for debate, some say it's a local thing, others have said that it's a federal law. I'm not sure, but I'd certainly like to see it repealed.

It's local. The Fed law was struck down.

And...

Passing the "best" CCW bill to rub it in the Dem's face.. I LOVE THIS!  =D
I promise not to duck.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 11:48:35 AM »
No reason why we couldn't have Vermont style CCW within the next week.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 12:10:53 PM »
The quorum requirement is a senate rule, not an assembly rule, and does indeed apply only to budget bills.

The assembly and senate judiciary committees could meet jointly and pass the bill. Without a Chuck Chvala type to block a pulling motion, the bill could be withdrawn from committee the next day, voted on the floor of the assembly in the morning, messaged to the senate in the afternoon, and be on Walker's desk by end of day or first thing the next day. It could happen that fast if they wanted it to. All that would need to be done would be for the two Fitzgerald's to get their troops to agree to no amendments.

The media would howl, but the Republicans could say that they had to do something while the Democrats were away, and this was a bill that had been voted upon several times over the years and needed to be taken care of. Even the Journal Sentinel ran an editorial the other day suggesting concealed carry be passed (albeit at the same time creating new gun restrictions).

I really think someone should light a fire under the Republicans. Call Jordan Austin at the NRA.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 03:20:34 PM »
If you have his number PM me.
I promise not to duck.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 09:57:42 AM »
Would a ccw bill be likely to address gun free school zones? That's one of my biggest concerns and I haven't heard much about it yet.

That would be a perfect, ironic, and fitting smackdown considering who's protesting right now.  :angel:
I promise not to duck.

BMacklem

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 10:13:47 AM »
You mean the majority of the bussed in out of state protestors they hired to inflate their numbers?

CSM Kersh

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 10:15:43 AM »

Are they wearing their SEIO t-shirts? 
Sam A. Kersh
NRA Patron
csmkersh@thegunnerslair.com
My Web Page
When Seconds count the police are only minutes away.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 11:54:08 PM »
Republicans are trying to force them to come back with Voter ID Law.  If the Dems don't come back, I hope the R's pass everything they can think of to shove it up the Dems fourth point.  Make 'em howl !!!    

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/02/22/wisconsin-republicans-try-lure-dems-scheduling-controversial-vote/
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 05:07:32 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 01:15:36 PM »
After the gun free schools act of 1990 was struck down, Congress passed it again.  Read here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Free_School_Zones_Act_of_1990

It's still in effect.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 01:21:03 PM »
After the gun free schools act of 1990 was struck down, Congress passed it again.  Read here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Free_School_Zones_Act_of_1990

It's still in effect.
I was going to ask how it could still be in effect if SCOTUS had declared it unconstitutional. :facepalm:  The *****  COMMERCE CLAUSEAGAIN!!!! :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero