Author Topic: Corporations and government in the movies  (Read 4829 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Corporations and government in the movies
« on: February 21, 2011, 08:03:46 PM »
While this isn't a particularly political thread right now, it probably soon will be, which is why I posted it here.

Last night I watched the movie "Unstoppable". It's a story about a freight train that loses its engineer, and is speeding toward a large city unmanned, with tanker cars filled with highly toxic and flammable chemicals.

It's been noted many times that movies almost always depict corporations and government as evil, and this movie is no exception. The good guys are the blue collar workers--the yard chief (a woman), an engineer who's been retired early by the evil corporation, a hippie-type welder, and a guy who's getting a bum rap in a domestic abuse case.

As the movie works its way up the corporate food chain, the players become more evil. The immediate boss of the yard chief won't take her advice. The board of directors is more concerned about the cost of the potential damage if the train crashes than the human cost. The CEO is reached by cell phone on the golf course, of course (everyone I know who's rich got that way playing golf). His only concern is how much a train wreck will affect the price of the company's stock.

This is a constant refrain in movies: corporations bad, little guy good. Individuals within corporations can be good, but the entities themselves never are.

The same goes for government. Whether it's "The Bourne Identity" or "Pelican Brief", government agencies are bad. Jason Bourne can be good as a CIA assassin, but the agency itself is bad.

Presidents can be good, but only when they're not acting in the capacity of the office. "Air Force One", for example. Harrison Ford is the action hero first, prresdent second.

Political figures can be good, but only when they're liberals. If a member of congress is a bad guy, he's invariably a Republican.

I can't figure out if this is just Hollywood and its political bias, or if it's more of a cultural, David vs. Goliath dynamic.

Whatever it is, I can't think of a single movie in which a corporation or government agency is good.  Can you?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Corporations and government in the movies
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 08:11:13 PM »
I can't figure out if this is just Hollywood and its political bias, or if it's more of a cultural, David vs. Goliath dynamic.

It's a lot of both. Man vs. society is one of the fundamental conflicts in literature and drama. Then factor in Hollywood leftism.

Whatever it is, I can't think of a single movie in which a corporation or government agency is good.  Can you?

The first that comes to mind is Apollo 13.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 08:20:56 PM »
Only if we're killing Nazi's or Japanese or Viet Cong, but not Iraqis or al-Qaeda terrrorists....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 09:27:34 PM »
I'm not aware of any Vietnam war movies that portray fed.gov or .mil as the "good guys." Darn few that show the individual soldiers that way, for that matter.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 09:51:35 PM »

Presidents can be good, but only when they're not acting in the capacity of the office. "Air Force One", for example. Harrison Ford is the action hero first, prresdent second.

Political figures can be good, but only when they're liberals. If a member of congress is a bad guy, he's invariably a Republican.

That gawd-awful "Street Fighter" movie with Van Damme.  The UN force in that was the good guys.  Again, it's the UN rather than the US, which implies liberal one-world ideology.

I can think of two TV shows, recently, that show a US government agency in a good light:

1.  In Plain Sight - USA series about a woman US Marshall working in New Mexico's WitSec program.
2.  Justified - FX series about a man US Marshall working in Kentucky.

Both of which deal with about the only un-controversial FedGov law enforcement entity:  The Marshall's Office.

Given the proclivity of the DEA ("professional enough"), the FBI (Ruby Ridge), the ATF (Waco), DHS/ICE (the innernetz is gonna kill us all so let's hijack domains!), TSA ("I was gonna do her!") and the other alphabet agencies to embarrass themselves on a regular basis, it's hard to cast them in a good light.

And, even the US Marshalls have stepped on their richards recently.

There was some show that bombed awhile back, during the height of the zOMGnineelevenI'msoscaredbutgladwehavethepatriotact phase around 2002-2004 scare.  About some sort of FBI team.  They drove a black full size van (very A-team of them) that had the grill painted with a waving US flag.  I don't remember the purpose of the show other than I immediately thought it was pro-goobermint propaganda fluff for people that needed to feel warm and fuzzy about security theater.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 11:08:01 PM »
I'm not aware of any Vietnam war movies that portray fed.gov or .mil as the "good guys." Darn few that show the individual soldiers that way, for that matter.

There's been plenty of movies that portray the soldiers in a good or sympathetic light, but none that I can think of (since WWII) that portray the Army, Navy, Marine Corp or Air Force entities in a good light.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 11:13:09 PM »
How about Parks and Recreation?  :lol:

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 11:15:37 PM »
How about Parks and Recreation?

Well, Smokey the Bear had a favorable role in the TV ads, but the Secretary of the Interior was a thief and a lackey. ;)

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 11:32:10 PM »
I can think of two TV shows, recently, that show a US government agency in a good light:

1.  In Plain Sight - USA series about a woman US Marshall working in New Mexico's WitSec program.
2.  Justified - FX series about a man US Marshall working in Kentucky.

Really?  Bones, Criminal Minds, NCIS, Numb3rs, White Collar not ringing any bells?  Most of those are shows about the FBI, with the exception of NCIS.

Pretty sure there are a few more out there I haven't listed.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 10:34:06 AM »
There's been plenty of movies that portray the soldiers in a good or sympathetic light, but none that I can think of (since WWII) that portray the Army, Navy, Marine Corp or Air Force entities in a good light.

It's the "sympathetic" part I object to. "Ohhh, poor widdle naive Marine who's come to realize how he was duped when he enlisted. If only he hadn't been so stupid as to enlist instead of going into college." Sympathetic is Hollywood code for making us look like idiots.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 10:44:47 AM »
corporate management is like a septic tank  big chunks float to top
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 11:42:12 AM »

Some of the second-rate movies of the time do. Siege of Firebase Gloria, Green Berets, things like that. SoFG is actually fairly watchable, since it involves R. Lee Ermey.

Con Air depicts the prison service as benevolent.

With Presidents it's the problem that what they do is difficult to make into cinema.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 03:54:17 PM »
Re positive depictions of government agencies: back in the 1930s there was a plethora of movies that portrayed them as heroes come to save the day (no doubt part of Hollywood's attempt to support FDR's New Deal).  Two that spring to mind are the cinematic adaptation of The Grapes of Wrath (which differed significantly from the novel) and a B-movie titled Wild Boys of the Road.

Re positive depictions of corporations: I'm drawing a blank.

(ETA: I need to correct myself.  There was a movie based on The Fountainhead.)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 04:03:48 PM by Angel Eyes »
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 04:14:11 PM »
Re positive depictions of corporations: I'm drawing a blank.

Iron Man and Iron Man 2. Also Batman. All of Batman.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 04:16:02 PM »
Also, how have True Lies, Eraser, and Under Siege not come up here?

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 05:46:27 PM »
Where does "Under Siege" fit?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 05:52:38 PM »
Where does "Under Siege" fit?

The government - military, FBI - are clearly portrayed as the good guys.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 06:01:23 PM »
Iron Man and Iron Man 2.

That shows Tony Stark as a good guy, fighting off all the evil inherint in every business.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 06:43:22 PM »
The government - military, FBI - are clearly portrayed as the good guys.

The FBI is portrayed positively, but the military (under Bruce Willis' character) is not, with the detention centers, the torture and murder of an American citizen, etc. The CIA gets a bad rap, and is partially redeemed only when the female agent is killed. Members of congress, the president and his chief of staff come across as being more concerned with politics than doing what's right.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 07:00:40 PM »
The FBI is portrayed positively, but the military (under Bruce Willis' character) is not, with the detention centers, the torture and murder of an American citizen, etc. The CIA gets a bad rap, and is partially redeemed only when the female agent is killed. Members of congress, the president and his chief of staff come across as being more concerned with politics than doing what's right.

You're thinking of The Siege http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_siege.

Under Siege was a Steven Segal flick: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_siege.

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2011, 07:13:31 PM »
Oops. I never watch Steven Segal movies, so I was easily confused. ;)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2011, 08:20:51 PM »

Probably a good rule.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2011, 06:10:55 AM »
That shows Tony Stark as a good guy, fighting off all the evil inherint in every business.

Yup.

In the first one, Obadiah Stane (Jeff Bridges) ran Stark Industries on a day-to-day basis, and was engaged in massive under-the-table dealings with nasty terrorist types and stole Tony's arc reactor in order to make a profit, at what he clearly know would be the cost of Tony's life.  He was clearly "evil power-/money-hungry warmongering corporate ba$tadge, 1ea."  In IM 2, Justin Hammer (Sam Rockwell) was the slimy corporate type looking to bump Stark out of favor with the public with no regard for anyone hurt along the way ("I want to point out that that test pilot SURVIVED..." - just with a broken spine, is all; his dealing with some he knew to be a psychopathic genius like Vanko just cemented his utter lack of anything resembling morals for the audience), and Senator Stern (Garry Shandling) was the evil politician seeking to steal appropriate the Iron Man suit and technology for exclusive use by fed.gov. 

Stark was the Heroic Individual seeking to protect the innocent and preserve life, liberty, and the American Waytm, by developing and using the Iron Man suit.  Oh, and the fact that he needed it to stay alive himself didn't hurt, either. 

In Under Siege, the .gov is portrayed as largely incompetent, IMO.  They were unable to prevent the takeover of a nuclear-armed battleship by a small group of (admittedly intelligent and well-prepared) criminals, and failed utterly in their attempt to REtake the vessel, at the cost of the lives of the SEAL team dispatched to do so.  If it hadn't been for Seagal's fortuitous assignment as former-SEAL-turned-head-cook, the baddies led by Tommy Lee Jones would surely have gotten away with multiple nuclear warheads!

Actually, for a Seagal movie, Under Siege was really good.  That one, you can go ahead and watch.  I really can't think of any others that aren't best avoided, though.

Seenterman

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2011, 01:08:47 PM »
Boooo. How did you guys forget Black Hawk Down, Top Gun, Armageddon, and We Were Soldiers? All or them portayed Americans / American soldiers in a positive light I though. I'm pretty sure there are a few more positive portrayal but I do see the point your trying to make.   

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2011, 05:59:15 PM »
No one is saying individual soldiers can't be seen in a positive light, but business/.mil/fed.gov. Now admittedly, fed.gov deserves everything it gets, but still...