Author Topic: Chris Matthews Stumbles over Campus Carry  (Read 7706 times)

CSM Kersh

Chris Matthews Stumbles over Campus Carry
« on: February 24, 2011, 04:23:26 PM »

From a news letter I get (relax, girls. It wasn't Workman).  Texas House and Senate seem to be moving forward with concealed carry on campus and Governor Perry will sign when it gets to his desk. 

Chris Matthews Stumbles over Campus Carry: A confounded Chris Matthews, on Tuesday's Hardball, couldn't get his head around the concept of Texas allowing 21-year-olds on college campuses to carry concealed weapons to defend themselves, as he repeatedly threw out scenarios, seemingly from TV, movies and his own imagination, of crazed students with guns. Fortunately Texas State Senator Jeff Wentworth was on hand to repeatedly and ably clarify and correct Matthews of his misconceptions. In fact Matthews was so bewildered by Wentworth's command of the facts that by the end of the interview he admitted his own anti-gun bias as he blurted: "I don't know. It's a strange world you're getting us into Senator. Maybe it's cultural, maybe it's cowboys and Indians. I live in a city, I think it's strange." First up Matthews, drawing from his expertise in old TV and movie Westerns, questioned Wentworth if he thought it was okay for college students to bring guns "into saloons" to which the state senator had to notify Matthews that bars weren't even allowed on Texas campuses… (Not to mention that Texas bans firearms in establishments that derive 51% or more of their income from the sale of alcohol for on-premises consumption.)

http://www.mrc.org/biasalert/2011/20110222083628.aspx
Sam A. Kersh
NRA Patron
csmkersh@thegunnerslair.com
My Web Page
When Seconds count the police are only minutes away.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Chris Matthews Stumbles over Campus Carry
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 05:36:20 PM »
Thanks, that's gut-busting.

Quote from: Senile Old Man
You know, back in the old days, we all watched, you and I watched television probably at the same age. We watched old movies and we would know what it was like in the Old West. They apparently had a, put their guns at the city limits, they couldn't carry them into saloons with them and places like that.

I guess Tombstone is the only Western he's seen.  ???

I also wanted to give you a heads-up about the thread at the top of the forum, about referencing articles. Thanks to our litigious society, there is a new rule about posting excerpts from articles. We still post small snippets, but we're not supposed to. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

CSM Kersh

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 05:43:30 PM »

Fistful, I have the author's permission to post excepts with one stipulation, I leave his name out.   
Sam A. Kersh
NRA Patron
My Web Page

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 06:15:42 PM »
Cool.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 08:50:09 PM »
So what I understand is that cheesy Hollywood B movies are now to be considered a reliable source for historic reference... :facepalm:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 09:46:10 PM »
So what I understand is that cheesy Hollywood B movies are now to be considered a reliable source for historic reference... :facepalm:

Hey, some people consider MSNBC to be a source for reliable nooz, so why not?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 01:09:58 AM »
There's this mutated idea in society that we're to imagine college students to be as overgrown children and colleges as extensions of high-school.

Therefore NO GUNZ FOR YOU.

This idea is corrupting and damaging - to the college students, whom it persuades that society expects them to be irresponsible, and to society, who treats people who in any previous era would be seen as adults, as if they were children. It's an extension of our deranged fiction that adulthood starts at 18. Now people start believing it starts at 21, 24, 30. This is madness and it is going to bite us in the rear.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 07:29:45 AM »
There's this mutated idea in society that we're to imagine college students to be as overgrown children and colleges as extensions of high-school.

Which is what happens when you make college an extension of high school.  =|

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 08:08:27 AM »

Yea, I don't get that.  Hell, I don't get why the pistol and drinking age is 21.   I was given possession of automatic weapons at 18, allowed to sign out the log book of a main battle tank at 19, and issued an automatic 40mm grenade launcher at 20.  Yet I wasn't legally allowed to have a single beer or glass of wine.  I couldn't buy a pistol, but the US government could hand one to me.  Each and every year, this happens to thousands of folks.  Yet no one sees it as strange.

Is there something here I'm missing here?

Same thing at college honked me off.  I got into it a few times with campus administrators.  "I WAS PRACTICING AIR ASSAULT DRILLS WITH A FRIGGIN CHINOOK ON YOUR FOOTBALL FIELD, WITH CREW SERVED WEAPONS.  What the HELL do you mean I'm not allowed to concealed carry?!"   Walking around campus with assault rifles and crew served: Ok.  Walking around, with a valid PA LTCF on a publicly funded university, with a concealed .22?  Mandatory expulsion.  Uhm.  Righto.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 08:26:18 AM »
 Hoorah Revdisk. Similar experience. I was 19 and was trusted to drive a $1.5 Billion dollar ship with 3,000 people on board and how knows how much worth of helicopters, jet fighters and tanks and qualified with half a dozen different weapons, including Expert Pistol Shot, but I couldn't go to the base bar or buy so much as a target pistol. And here's a real topper, the day we got a new sailor on board the Iwo the Captain ordered all the smokes and snuff taken out of the shipboard vending machines, because this one sailor out of 1,328 was 17 years old.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 08:45:24 AM »
And here's a real topper, the day we got a new sailor on board the Iwo the Captain ordered all the smokes and snuff taken out of the shipboard vending machines, because this one sailor out of 1,328 was 17 years old.

I would have given him a pack, even if he didn't smoke.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 08:49:18 AM »
Did you guys throw the kid a party when he turned 18?   ;)

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 08:57:40 AM »
Which is what happens when you make college an extension of high school.  =|

Read up on François Villon. 15th-century college students were quite as rowdy as the young men of today. Even though some of them were far younger than the modern college student (Francois started college at 12 and graduated at the age of 18 as a bachelor of arts, becoming a licenciate three years later.

Yet at the time a college student was expected to carry a weapon with his person at all times.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 08:58:26 AM »
Did you guys throw the kid a party when he turned 18?   ;)

After all, 18 is the legal age of consent.... :laugh:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 09:15:34 AM »
In the local Austin media, virtually NO mention is made that the law would ONLY allow students with Texas Concealed Handgun Licenses to carry on campus; they leave out that part deliberately so the implication is that ALL students could carry. The TX CHL is limited to those 21 years of age who take a course, pass written and practical exams, and are cleared by two background checks, one by the Texas DPS, the other by the FBI. Few underclassmen would qualify - the age requirement alone means that in my case, I would have only been legal to carry during the last months of my senior year.

[thread drift]Of course, selective reporting to support liberal viewpoints is SOP here - when local Austin media discusses "anti-illegal-immigration Republicans" they leave out the word illegal.[/thread drift]
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

CSM Kersh

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 09:31:17 AM »

Quote from: HankB
...The TX CHL is limited to those 21 years of age...

for the most part, that is correct.  There is an exception, as stated in Government Code 411.172, (g)(1) which states:

Notwithstanding Subsection (a)(2), a person who is at least 18 years of age and not yet 21 years of age is eligible for a license to carry a concealed handgun if the person:

(1) is a member or veteran of the United States armed forces, including a member or veteran of the reserves or national guard.   

FWIW, I fully support campus carry.  Otherwise you a merely providing a target rich environment for some future shooter.
Sam A. Kersh
NRA Patron
My Web Page

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 10:02:25 AM »
In the local Austin media, virtually NO mention is made that the law would ONLY allow students with Texas Concealed Handgun Licenses to carry on campus; they leave out that part deliberately so the implication is that ALL students could carry. The TX CHL is limited to those 21 years of age who take a course, pass written and practical exams, and are cleared by two background checks, one by the Texas DPS, the other by the FBI. Few underclassmen would qualify - the age requirement alone means that in my case, I would have only been legal to carry during the last months of my senior year.

[thread drift]Of course, selective reporting to support liberal viewpoints is SOP here - when local Austin media discusses "anti-illegal-immigration Republicans" they leave out the word illegal.[/thread drift]

Hell, I'm in Houston and that's how our Nooz is.  Did you see my post on the Fox news Houston poll?  The wording was like "Oh, noes, kids with guns on campus?  Are you an evil republican that wants kids shooting each other?"
JD

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 03:26:54 PM »
Other than his Africa tour of duty during Vietnam, has Chris Matthews ever left the East Coast?

I mean, every weekend college students, ages 18, 19, and 20, in Indiana carry guns.  Heck they even go into bars and no firefights are initiated.

His frame of reference is the horse operas of his childhood.  Talk about your childish liberal. =D
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2011, 03:35:13 PM »
Other than his Africa tour of duty during Vietnam, has Chris Matthews ever left the East Coast?

I mean, every weekend college students, ages 18, 19, and 20, in Indiana carry guns.  Heck they even go into bars and no firefights are initiated.

His frame of reference is the horse operas of his childhood.  Talk about your childish liberal. =D

Even still, he's pulling his facts out of his ass.  Texas Penal code clearly states whats off limits to CHL holders.  A 51% establishment is off limits. 
JD

Dave Workman

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2011, 03:48:45 PM »
Hmmmmm.

Chris Matthews stumbling over something...

It must be due to that tingling in his leg from Obama speeches.

;)

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2011, 08:34:46 AM »
FWIW, I fully support campus carry.  Otherwise you a merely providing a target rich environment for some future shooter.

Yep, now then. Why are the media outlets in favor of collage students, being shot down? [tinfoil]

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2011, 09:26:45 AM »
Because they are easier to control when helpless.

Haven't you read Lenin?
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2011, 01:36:24 PM »
was rhetorical. ;)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2011, 03:55:49 PM »

Therefore NO GUNZ FOR YOU.

This idea is corrupting and damaging - to the college students, whom it persuades that society expects them to be irresponsible, and to society, who treats people who in any previous era would be seen as adults, as if they were children. It's an extension of our deranged fiction that adulthood starts at 18. Now people start believing it starts at 21, 24, 30. This is madness and it is going to bite us in the rear.

Every thread at THR that dealt with concealed carry on college campuses had at least one poster (and often multiple) saying college students shouldn't be allowed to CCW on campus because they were irresponsible and sure to shoot someone.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2011, 02:53:21 PM »
Every thread at THR that dealt with concealed carry on college campuses had at least one poster (and often multiple) saying college students shouldn't be allowed to CCW on campus because they were irresponsible and sure to shoot someone.

Isn't that the very definition of projection?

Psych Police=> :police: