Author Topic: Portable DNA scanner coming soon..  (Read 1660 times)

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
Portable DNA scanner coming soon..
« on: February 27, 2011, 09:08:50 PM »
Portable DNA scanner is in the works.  Brought to you by your friendly DHS. This should not be allowed to happen. I can see having to submit to a scan to board a flight, get a DL, a CHL and  *expletive deleted* load of other activities. 

http://www.thedaily.com/page/2011/02/26/news-tsa-scanner-1-2/
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 10:28:29 PM by Battle Monkey of Zardoz »
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Portable DNA scanner coming soon..
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 09:52:27 PM »
a CHL ameba

They implant them via single cell organisms now?

Chris

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 10:29:14 PM »
iPhone spell check combined with big thumbs. Lol. No ameba.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 03:07:30 PM »
all the while torchwood is starting to make more sense. [tinfoil]

then again, now we can call for dna checks and full background on all politicians. just think of all the killers/rapists we'll catch. [popcorn]

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 06:07:16 PM »
This thing is still the size of a small photocopier/large desktop printer. And requires a swab from your mouth. And it looks as though it still takes about $100 in consumables. All sorts of chemistry still has to happen to get DNA out of cells, replicate it into a testable amount, then pattern it.

However, I've already read about the disposable chips full of nano-fingers which can use minute electrical charges to sort DNA, that is the core of the technology, and I bet this thing uses them.

If someone can figure out the solvents and chemicals that unbind the DNA from cells, and cut it into identifiable genes, and put those onto the chip, kind of like how Polaroid film had it's developer and fixer all built in, then you'll have the true portable DNA scanner that can just be run from a smartphone etc.
I promise not to duck.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 07:41:51 AM »
I don't see that in widespread use, but remember we already do portable retinal scanning over in Afghanistan. That should show up at a train station any day now.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 11:36:18 AM »
However, I've already read about the disposable chips full of nano-fingers which can use minute electrical charges to sort DNA, that is the core of the technology, and I bet this thing uses them.

Yep. Many of the chemicals used on those chips is made right here in Milwaukee by yours truely.

It used to take years and billions of dollars to sequence a human genome, it now takes about 4 figures and a few hours,  soon it will take minutes and cost a few hundred dollars. The progression of this technology is very similar to the progression of computing.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 11:44:42 AM »
Yep. Many of the chemicals used on those chips is made right here in Milwaukee by yours truely.

It used to take years and billions of dollars to sequence a human genome, it now takes about 4 figures and a few hours,  soon it will take minutes and cost a few hundred dollars. The progression of this technology is very similar to the progression of computing.

I'm still waiting for cloned dinosaurs ......  ;) [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [popcorn] [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero