Author Topic: Interesting alternative to rebar  (Read 2779 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Interesting alternative to rebar
« on: March 07, 2011, 01:08:57 AM »
Saw a video of a small monolithic dome style building being constructed using basalt fiber to reinforce the concrete. Looks pretty interesting. I wouldn't want to construct a house that way, but it'd make for an interesting shed/outbuilding/storage area.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Interesting alternative to rebar
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 01:34:55 AM »
I'm not exactly sure why, but I always love seeing/reading about alternative construction techniques.

Maybe I just fantasize I could build a home that's incredibly durable, efficient, and cheap, giving me spaces and square footage I'd never be able to afford otherwise. Combining material cost savings, and sweat-equity savings.

I'm not really a fan of the dome styles either, round walls being an absolute PITA to furnish, but OTOH, if I could get 5000sqft for the price of 2000 sqft of stick-built or whatnot, then HVAC costs only pennies a month... it gets hard to argue against it.
I promise not to duck.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 01:44:03 AM »
^ Air-filled building?  Don't have to be spherical, can be cylindrical or "rectanguloid."

I've often wanted to play around with that idea, wondering how the cost of constant inflation would amortize out over the savings in buulding costs, how to insulate from the weather, strengh of construction in weather (like high winds), entryways, sound insulation between rooms, securty from unauthorized entry...

...internal walls could act as "stays" to hold the external walls in shape, and reduce the pressure required  -maybe only 25-40" of water pressure.

Et cetera.

Just playin'.

Might actually be practical for a temporary storage building, though.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 01:52:45 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

TMM

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 09:38:26 AM »
the building is cool, but i'm just sitting here amazed that someone was able to make a flexible fiber out of a ROCK! that just baffles my mind.

tmm

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 10:36:01 AM »
Saw a video of a small monolithic dome style building being constructed using basalt fiber to reinforce the concrete. Looks pretty interesting. I wouldn't want to construct a house that way, but it'd make for an interesting shed/outbuilding/storage area.

Very interesting.  I'd like to see specifics of rebar vs basalt fiber.  Or a Celebrity Deathmatch type event using flammability testing, kinetic testing, earthquake testing, etc. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 11:15:59 AM »
the building is cool, but i'm just sitting here amazed that someone was able to make a flexible fiber out of a ROCK! that just baffles my mind.

tmm
check this one out, it'll blow your mind. :angel:

not to degenerate anyone suffering from exposure to it, pity more/all companies using it didn't buy there people masks. =|

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 11:17:54 AM »
Fiberglass reinforced concrete is nothing new.  They've been using if for slabs around here for years.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 12:33:12 PM »
Fiberglass reinforced concrete is nothing new.  They've been using if for slabs around here for years.

Brad

Indeed, but that's random short-strand fiberglass just added to the mix. My own patio was made from that too. This is long-fiber directional wrapping with basalt fiber which is in between fiberglass and carbon fiber in strength.

And the shell was only a few inches in thickness, supporting several tons of weight.

I promise not to duck.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 12:35:57 PM »
Sounds kinda like a high tech cast-in-place version of good old concrete backer board.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB