Author Topic: Re-recession: States playing games with interstate sales tax on internet  (Read 1253 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
http://blogs.forbes.com/janetnovack/2011/03/10/illinois-governor-signs-amazon-internet-sales-tax-law/

Chicago is stupid.

Illinois Governor Pat Quinn today signed controversial legislation requiring Internet retailers like Amazon.com and Overstock.com to collect Illinois’ 6.25% sales tax if they have affiliate sellers in the state.

Translation:

Illinois just compelled Amazon/Overstock to divorce themselves from self-employed cottage retailers and increase unemployment in their State.  I gay-run-tee you that Amazon's response to this will be to shut down subordinate retailers located in Illinois.

A percentage of those will move and relocate to other States without such legislation, preserving their source of income and robbing IL of the corporate/personal income taxes associated with those gainful citizens.

The rest will go on unemployment.

More:

http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/Tax-VOX/2011/0308/The-battle-over-Internet-sales-tax

In just the past few days, lawmakers in Colorado, Minnesota, Connecticut, and Missouri have joined California and a fistful of other states in moving to make online sellers collect sales taxes. Last month, Texas—not exactly a hotbed of aggressive taxation—presented Amazon with a bill for $269 million in uncollected sales taxes.

Fistful, knock it off! :mad:  Once again, all this is your fault.

I loathe every Legislature that tries to change this.

THE PURCHASE WAS NOT MADE IN YOUR STATE.  YOUR STATE'S TAX INFRASTRUCTURE IS TOO HIGH TO ALLOW COMPETITION WITH BUSINESSES THOUSANDS OF MILES AWAY WHO MUST PAY RETAIL-RATE SHIPPING RATHER THAN BULK-RATE FREIGHT TO GET PRODUCT INTO YOUR CONSUMERS' HANDS.  YOUR MANAGEMENT OF LOCAL ECONOMY IS FAIL BECAUSE YOU HAVE TOO MUCH TAX.  YOU COLLECT TAXES OFF OF DELIVERY FEES FROM UPS/FEDEX TRUCKS AND VEHICLE REGISTRATIONS.  THAT IS ALL THE INFRASTRUCTURE USED AS FAR AS YOU HAVE A MORAL CLAIM.

ESAD.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net

My state's revenue department has admitted that there is universal noncompliance with our "use tax".  Technically speaking, if you order something from outside the state, you are supposed to pay a tax equivalent to the sales tax.  Out of several million Pennsylvanians, only a few hundred do so. 

I don't understand why they just don't strike the tax if no one pays it and there's no way to enforce compliance.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
My state's revenue department has admitted that there is universal noncompliance with our "use tax".  Technically speaking, if you order something from outside the state, you are supposed to pay a tax equivalent to the sales tax.  Out of several million Pennsylvanians, only a few hundred do so. 

I don't understand why they just don't strike the tax if no one pays it and there's no way to enforce compliance.

Michigan's use tax is about as well respected.
Look, tiny text!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....

Did you really think we want those laws observed? said Dr. Ferris. We want them to be broken. You'd better get it straight that it's not a bunch of boy scouts you're up against... We're after power and we mean it... There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced or objectively interpreted – and you create a nation of law-breakers – and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system, Mr. Reardon, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be
much easier to deal with. ('Atlas Shrugged' 1957)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Waitone

• friend
IIRC NC has the obligatory "if you purchased X out of state you are required . . . "  Then it goes one step further and assess an internet tax based on income.  Gets you coming and going.   Don'tcha just love fascism?
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
As expected, Amazon has cut ties with its Illinois affiliates:  http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2011/03/11/financial/f115429S85.DTL&tsp=1

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends

Because a tax, once applied, never goes away and you can bet they are busy trying to figure out how to effectively collect internet sales tax.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Because a tax, once applied, never goes away and you can bet they are busy trying to figure out how to effectively collect internet sales tax.

"They" want to go after the online merchants and have them collect for all the states. Years back that would have been an easier task, but Amazon, Ebay and other online retailers are in the big leagues now.