Author Topic: Add me to the list of fans...  (Read 2009 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
Add me to the list of fans...
« on: April 05, 2011, 10:18:12 AM »
For our own Correia's novel Monstre Hunter International.  Just finished it yesterday.  Bought it after reading about it here and at THR, and thought I'd give it a shot.  Great fun read.  fun characters and good story.  Not to mention that Larry is a writer who gets the gun details right.  For anyone who is looking for a fun read, I highly recommend it.  I'm off to get the follow-up novels next weekend.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

HankB

• friend
Re: Add me to the list of fans...
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 10:33:25 AM »
Enjoyed both MHI and MHV . . . and was mentally kicking myself that I didn't realize right away (possible spoiler!)  [ why Agent Franks was so tough. ]

20/20 hindsight, and all.  ;)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 01:47:19 PM »
Enjoyed both MHI and MHV . . . and was mentally kicking myself that I didn't realize right away (possible spoiler!)  [ why Agent Franks was so tough. ]

20/20 hindsight, and all.  ;)

You and me both.....  :P
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 02:20:42 PM »
Andy

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 02:30:07 PM »
Me four. 

I finally read it last year.  Very good read.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 02:39:00 PM »
The books were interesting, but severely harmed by the constant gun-nuttery.  I'm a gun nut, so I appreciate the accuracy, but the constant talk, descriptions, etc about the guns took away from the story IMO.  It was almost as bad as a story where the gun details were painfully incorrect.

Chris

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 03:08:47 PM »
I think MHI started off a little thick on the gun stuff and got better, and MHV was better still about being complete and detailed without being to "gun nut".  I'm signed up and paid for one of the hardcover copies of "Hard Magic" so we'll see what he does with that one.

I really did enjoy them and am waiting for MHA with loaded mags. (baited breath just seems silly)

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 03:31:51 PM »
The books were interesting, but severely harmed by the constant gun-nuttery.  I'm a gun nut, so I appreciate the accuracy, but the constant talk, descriptions, etc about the guns took away from the story IMO.  It was almost as bad as a story where the gun details were painfully incorrect.

Chris

From my perspective, I didn't mind because it was accurate.  A pet peeve of mine is when the gun information is glossed over completely, when some detail would be benefitial (I enjoy matching a gun to a character).  In MHI, you have Z -brute strong a powerful, but somewhat unfocused.  Shotgun fits perfectly.  Things like that.

Glad to hear that MHV is better.  Start that one Saturday, assuming it's in stock.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 03:53:10 PM »
Larry rocks.

You can keep up on his works-in-progress on his blog, if you don't already:

http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 05:54:07 PM »
Gotta second the Larry rocks comment.

Also, if you don't follow his blog, and didn't know, he's doing a book signing at Uncle Hugo's Sci-fi Bookstore.  You can order copies of both MHI and MHV, autographed, and even personalized.  The deadline is 4/28, signing taking place 4/30.

http://www.unclehugo.com/prod/ah-correia-larry.php

scroll down to the appropriate books, and you can request autograph/personalization in the "Special requests" section of his checkout.

Even though I already own MHI (the self-published edition) and the e-ARC copy of MHV, I ordered both of the hardcover editions requesting autographs.

They will live next to my bed, for some Monster Hunter goodness whenever I feel the urge.

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 06:46:36 PM »
Way too much deus ex machina and other cheesiness in the books to consider them to be any kind of litterary masterpieces, but rediculously fun to read.

I really like the Agent Franks character he is epic badassery. :lol:

Edited to remove spoilers.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 07:02:38 PM by brimic »
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 08:15:15 PM »
Not a spoiler, but I have to say, I'm torn between whether I preferred the elves in MHI or the gnomes in MHV......

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 09:27:27 PM »
Way too much deus ex machina and other cheesiness in the books to consider them to be any kind of litterary masterpieces, but rediculously fun to read.

I don't read fiction to find a literary masterpiece.  IMO, a good writer is one who writes a book you just can't seem to put down.  Larry came real close IMO.  I kind of liked the gun details.  It is different than the normal stuff.

A book that I just about couldn't put down was Live Free or Die by John Ringo.  Almost a SciFi fantasy, but it is a good read.  David Drake's Lt. Leary books are that way for me also.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
I'm torn between whether I preferred the elves in MHI or the gnomes in MHV......
Gnomes for sure.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 11:43:40 PM »

A book that I just about couldn't put down was Live Free or Die by John Ringo.  Almost a SciFi fantasy, but it is a good read.  David Drake's Lt. Leary books are that way for me also.

I'm not a huge fan of Ringo but he's written a couple of books I have blown through in one sitting. LFOD is one, Last Centurions is another.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 09:51:04 AM »

Larry self categorizes his books like reading a "B" movie. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 09:54:23 AM »
I have begged him to let me audition for the role of Agent Franks when MHI gets made into a movie.  Unfortunately I would have to hit the gym a lot harder and probably wear platform shoes, depending on who they cast as Pitt.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 10:03:31 AM »
Yeah, I know, MHI won't end up on any class reading list at Hardvard or Yale, but I picked it up hoping for some reading enjoyment, and got that in spades.

Personally, I'm hoping that Larry realizes that MHI needs a legal department or in-house counsel, and I can live vicariously through the lawyer/monster hunter he creates.  "A suit and tie with a Glock 30 hanging under each arm..."   :laugh:
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 02:22:45 PM »
. . .  Unfortunately I would have to hit the gym a lot harder and probably wear platform shoes, depending on who they cast as Pitt.
Another spoiler: [ As long as you're as husky as Boris Karloff . . . or Fred Gwynn. ]
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain