Author Topic: Airbus A380 clobbers regional jet  (Read 3637 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Airbus A380 clobbers regional jet
« on: April 12, 2011, 12:58:21 PM »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42548948/ns/travel-news

A380 spins a little 60-seater regional jet 45 degrees.

Youtube:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p1nZPAH1sA

I'm amazed that the vertical stabilizer withstood the abuse and supported the entire airframe well enough to spin it that much.  I'd expect it to be snapped off by that much stress.  And I'd hate to have been a passenger on the regional jet.  That's a lot of inertia to inherit that quickly.  Good way to get thrown against a bulkhead or have luggage fall on you from overhead.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Airbus A380 clobbers regional jet
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 01:02:08 PM »
Considering the cockpit was on the other end of the rotational axis, and that it "rotational'ed" pretty dang quick, I wonder what the g-forces were like.  (Not to mention the smell in the cockpit after.)

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 01:07:34 PM »
Looks like the nosewheel got lifted off so it turned pretty easy on the mains.

Still ...   :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 01:45:36 PM »
You park with your butt-end sticking out in traffic, you get moved.  See it happen regularly.

OK, not so much at the airport.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 01:51:54 PM »

I'm amazed that the vertical stabilizer withstood the abuse and supported the entire airframe well enough to spin it that much.  I'd expect it to be snapped off by that much stress. 

The tailcone and vertical stab are some of the strongest parts of a modern passenger aircraft (look at pics from crash sites, you always see that part more intact than other parts), due to the loads it is subjected to and their shape/size.  In fact, that is why the black boxes are usually located back there.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 02:23:06 PM »
In fact, that is why the black boxes are usually located back there.
I thought they were there because it was the last piece of the plane to impact the ground when it augers in a 300 plus Mph.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 04:12:32 PM »
So THAT's why they tell us to remain seated until the plane has been parked at the gate and captain has turned off the seal belt sign?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 04:21:59 PM »
Hm.  Taxi-ing at the same altitude.  No wonder.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 04:43:09 PM »
Considering the cockpit was on the other end of the rotational axis, and that it "rotational'ed" pretty dang quick, I wonder what the g-forces were like.  (Not to mention the smell in the cockpit after.)

Brad

Spitballed guesses here:

The nose/cockpit looks like it moved at least 40 feet (I think that's VERY conservative... looking at it again, I'd say closer to 60+ feet is possible)
The time lapse was less than 1 second.

40 feet per second =
2400 feet per minute
144,000 feet per hour
~28 miles per hour

Accelerating from 0-30mph in 1 second.  Wow.

According to this website:

http://www.smartconversion.com/unit_calculation/Acceleration_calculator.aspx

That results in ~1.24 G constant, horizontal.  They all fell sideways in the plane.  I imagine every single bag in the port-side overhead bins fell out on contact, and every single bag in the starboard-side bins fell out when they stopped (-1.24G from immediate deceleration).

That force would be variable along the axis, strongest in the cockpit and tail, and weakest over the rear wheels which acted as a pivot.

At a distance of 60 feet, it comes out closer to 1.9 G's.

2G's lateral force, out of nowhere... babies, old people, crappy chairs not designed for it.  Wow.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 05:02:27 PM »
For comparison:

A moderate roller coaster near me

but they wouldn't be expecting it.  So a solid hard hit, but I wouldn't actually expect very many bags falling and flying from less than a second at 2 G's.  Moderate car accident type forces.  (although after 1-800-Ambulance-Chaser gets to the passengers I bet they all have whiplash)

birdman

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 06:11:45 PM »
Airline seats and bins can handle a bunch more than 2g's.

Hell, my car accelerates at 1.2, and my glove box doesn't pop open :)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 06:27:08 PM »
Spun it right round, like a record..
I promise not to duck.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 08:48:15 PM »
Spun it right round, like a record..
round round right round.
7-11 was a part time job.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 11:57:24 PM »
Audio clip with conversations with ground controllers here
Formerly sumpnz

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 12:12:05 AM »
Audio clip with conversations with ground controllers here

Just a hunch, but my money is on the NTSB taggin Air France on this one.  Like clipping someone in an intersection when they haven't cleared it yet and you get a green light, so you just plow into them anyway....
Not real familiar with the taxi way and ramp setup at JFK, so not sure if the RJ was still under ATC control or over to ramp yet.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 02:34:31 AM »
Could have also been ATC's/ramp control's screw up if they told the RJ to hold where they were forgetting that the A380 has a significantly longer wingspan than even a 747.  Also I can see the possibility that the RJ was partially at fault for maybe having stopped short of where they were supposed to be leaving them in the path of the superjumbo. 

The A380 driver though still should have been watching and ultimately it's still his responsibility to know where his plane is and to avoid stationary traffic like that.  So even if either of the above were true it's still officially his screw up.
Formerly sumpnz

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 08:22:20 AM »
Could have also been ATC's/ramp control's screw up if they told the RJ to hold where they were forgetting that the A380 has a significantly longer wingspan than even a 747.  Also I can see the possibility that the RJ was partially at fault for maybe having stopped short of where they were supposed to be leaving them in the path of the superjumbo. 

The A380 driver though still should have been watching and ultimately it's still his responsibility to know where his plane is and to avoid stationary traffic like that.  So even if either of the above were true it's still officially his screw up.

Yep. Clearing any obstacle on the airport is ultimately the pilots responsibility. I see air france buying 51% on this one.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 09:22:56 AM »
Actually, I recant - it looks like now that the nose of the CRJ actually got pushed down

Would the nose wheel caster under a load like that, or did it just skid sideways  ???

Too dark to see if there is a skid mark.

Stuff like this just makes me love flying all the more  ;/

I have a <50% record of ever getting anywhere on time when flying, at least on Delta.  And whenever we are actually not delayed by something, I figure we're bound to have an accident  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 10:26:13 AM »
Yep. Clearing any obstacle on the airport is ultimately the pilots responsibility. I see air france buying 51% on this one.
I see AF buying 100% on this one. The CRJ was on/entering the ramp, but AF is still required to maintain the seperation.  The AF captain, Louis Braille, is in deep.

A few years ago, also at J-effing-K, I watched an A340 trade paint with a 767. The A340 went back to the gate with his winglet dangling by wires.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2011, 10:42:33 AM »
I see AF buying 100% on this one. The CRJ was on/entering the ramp, but AF is still required to maintain the seperation.  The AF captain, Louis Braille, is in deep.

A few years ago, also at J-effing-K, I watched an A340 trade paint with a 767. The A340 went back to the gate with his winglet dangling by wires.

Ironic Pilot's name is... ironic.
I promise not to duck.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2011, 10:56:58 AM »

Only way it could be better is if it was a female pilot named Helene Kellier.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2011, 11:04:50 AM »
Only way it could be better is if it was a female pilot named Helene Kellier.
Or if it was real.
 =D
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?