Author Topic: Bogie, glad this wasn't you.  (Read 1716 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Bogie, glad this wasn't you.
« on: April 15, 2011, 09:20:33 PM »
From photos you have linked, I suspect you may still roll hirsute.

Also, I hear talk of lathes.

I'd hate to read an article whose title includes the terms:
death
long hair
lathe
and read on to hear it was you.

Anyways, some good safety pointers at the link at the link:
http://pajamasmedia.com/instapundit/118639/
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

grampster

• friend
Re: Bogie, glad this wasn't you.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 09:57:42 PM »
Only a problem if bogie is a girl.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 10:36:25 PM »
. . . died of asphyxiation. . .
oh good lord  =|  :'(

I think I mentioned this on the board before, but I was present when a coworker got his glove wrapped up in the bit on a drill press.  Luckily it left his hand behind.  Scared the hell out of him though.

I rescued my wife's late grandfather's table saw from the in-law's garage sale.  First time I used it, the pulley on the blade shaft popped off (loose setscrew) and it threw the belt.  The blade was at full speed and not cutting when this happened.  I shut off the motor, and walked around gathering the pully and belt.  Looked for the pulley key for a while before giving up, THEN discovered the blade spinning away at a high rate of speed, completely silent, still operating under it's own inertia.   :O
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 10:44:25 PM »
I was using my router table with the fence on it when the discharge got clogged up. I reached in to clear it out before I shut it off. When I realized what I was doing I froze like a statue till I hit the switch and the bit spun down.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 11:42:38 PM »
My wife read me the story yesterday, all she had to read was long hair and lathe.  I knew the rest. :'(
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 11:58:19 PM »
I watched a friend bounce off the chuck a few time after his sleeve caught in his work.

If he'd have been alone or the lathe hadn't had a brake, he might not have made it out of that one.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 12:52:44 AM »
When I was a kid and prior to OSHA and all kinds of litigation, the post hole digger mounted to the back of a tractor and driven off the PTO had all kinds of driveline things that would suck you in and kill you.  Dad was forever warning us to keep our shirt sleeves buttons, shirt tails tucked in, and hands away from the driveshaft.

Brad
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 12:56:10 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 01:25:58 AM »
When I was a kid and prior to OSHA and all kinds of litigation, the post hole digger mounted to the back of a tractor and driven off the PTO had all kinds of driveline things that would suck you in and kill you.  Dad was forever warning us to keep our shirt sleeves buttons, shirt tails tucked in, and hands away from the driveshaft.

Brad

PTOs make great hamburger grinders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBSwOS90wgQ

Oh, and tractors are machines that require a lot of careful operating to remain safe. Most don't realize this, or the full extent of caution needed.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 08:47:32 AM »
Many years ago i witnessed a female coworker of mine wrap her hair up in a stirshaft of a 50L reaction flask in a lab I was working in. Luckily, the stir motors are are driven and don't have much torque (they can usually be stopped by gripping them hard with your hand). The wrapped upand pulled her head next to the shaft right quick and then stopped. Scared the hell out of her.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 10:05:06 AM »
I watched a mechanic repair the tarp frame on my dump truck back early 1990's. Not sure exactly how he managed it but he put a drill bit right through his palm. The fingers of that hand immediately clamped down and he couldn't let go of the drill. They had to take him to the ER, drill and all.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 10:05:49 AM »

Brad
My uncle nearly lost his arm in a tractor accident years ago.  His arm was nearly cut off.  Modern medicine did the trick though and he recovered.  Pretty bad though.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 10:06:34 AM »
I watched my brother "ride" a 1/2" drill until the cord wrapped up enough to pull it out of the wall! He was drilling through a heavy bit of steel in a bench vice and was on the bench, kneeling on the drills handles when the bit hung and away he went!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 12:15:25 PM »
Even something rotating slowly can have enough torque to do some serious damage. I have the seriously damaged finger to prove it. One lesson I never forgot.  ;)
Avoid cliches like the plague!