Author Topic: What's with Arizona's governor?  (Read 1811 times)

HankB

• friend
What's with Arizona's governor?
« on: April 19, 2011, 08:28:04 AM »
I've seen Jan Brewer on TV a couple of times and have been left with a generally favorable impression . . . but the local rag had a small (1 short paragraph) clip saying she just vetoed two bills that sound like they ought to have been signed.

The first deals with campus carry - so Arizonans would be able to lawfully carry a gun on college campuses. Why would a GOP governor veto that? We're trying to get a bill passed in TX so CHL holders can carry on public university and college campuses, but AZ has open carry, so can see the situation is a bit different. Still, it seems to me that it ought to have been signed. What don't I know about this, and has Brewer given a reason?

The second would require presentation of a birth certificate for a candidate's name to appear on a presidential ballot. (Obama, beware!) This sounds like just a plain, common-sense law; make sure the candidate for an office is legally qualified to hold it. So why the veto?  ???
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

longeyes

• friend
Re: What's with Arizona's governor?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 10:39:44 AM »
It's called mettle fatigue. =|
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 11:12:33 AM »
Frankly, I'd actually be surprised if the legislature doesn't override at least one if not both of those vetos....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 11:20:43 AM »
She's a "for the children" governess just like Janet Napolitano and Jane Hull.  Same generation of politicians.

She raised the damned sales tax to just shy of 10%, too.

To be frank, we need a stone-hearted conservative that believes in fiscal responsibility and the rule of law, for the next AZ governor.  I'm firmly convinced, after the last 3 governesses, that it HAS to be a man for the job.  Women can't do it.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 12:14:46 PM »
To be frank, we need a stone-hearted conservative that believes in fiscal responsibility and the rule of law, for the next AZ governor.

IOW, an adult.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 12:50:09 PM »
Did you read her reasons for getting the campus bill?  Did you read the bill as passed?

Take 5 minutes and do so. She was absolutely right to veto that abortion. It was simply bad law, not worth fixing and likely to end up with bad case law after the inevitable challenges.

I'm totally in favor of taking small steps and building incrementally, but you can't build on a foundation made of BS.

The AZ legislature needs to make the fixes she suggested then repass it.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 12:53:18 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/04/18/arizona-gov-brewer-vetoes-law-allowing-guns-public-college-campuses/

Matthew beat me to it, but yeah, AZ's campus carry law was badly written and would have lead to issues.  So she told the legislature to craft it properly.

As for the birth certificate one?  I dunno.  I read a couple stories that mentioned things like circumsicion certificates being presented to AZ.  But it also seems to be a subject no journalist can approch without a condesending sneer, so who knows what the bill actually called for.  I haven't bothered to look it up.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 12:58:33 PM »
The birth certificate / circumcision certificate (?) bill would have had one person determine if the document was "valid" (which could be a hard-left Dem someday) and had no procedure to appeal a denial.

I'm not hot on the birth certificate issue anyway but this law was poorly thought out and a due process nightmare as well.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."