Author Topic: Are you a Mac person or a PC person?  (Read 5657 times)

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: Are you a Mac person or a PC person?
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2011, 07:43:06 PM »
PC person since the 8088. Macs are fine for "those people" and they are welcome to them. I'd rather have a clue about what is going on under the hood and be able to tweak and fix things as needed and not pay through the nose for every little thing I need or do.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2011, 09:55:03 AM »
I'm agnostic when it comes to desktop OSes, though I currently use Win7x64 on my desktop and laptops because it works and doesn't require extra effort when using other devices.  I use Linux professionally to run a variety of devices that capture and correlate security messages, aggregate and index logs, etc.  The log management boxes have 24gig of RAM, multiple 4 core processors, and 7TB of drive space.  The security message devices are smaller, but not small boxes per se.

I used to run Linux on my desktop until Win2k came out.  From that point on, Windows has been a stable and solid performer for my home desktop needs.  I still run Linux on my home server because of its suitability for the task (web server, LAN file server, and backup server).  I have a small Linux box at a friend's house operating as an offsite backup server.  My home server pushes files to the offsite box via rsync over ssh nightly.

I've tried OSX a number of times, but don't find it offering any benefits over Windows or Linux.  There's nothing wrong with it, it just doesn't offer any benefits.

And before anyone trots out the "Windoze R teh virus sponge" comments, I'll simply say you're doing something wrong if you get more than one virus in 5 years.  I can count on two fingers the number of viruses I've had on a grand total of 10 windows-based boxes in the past decade, 7 of those being used by my non-techie wife and kids.

Chris

brimic

• friends
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2011, 10:41:50 AM »
Other than in Mac/PC threads, have I ever mentioned having a Mac? It's not something I brag about, especially on a forum with so many tech types.
You probably don't drive around with 'apple' stickers on your car either. :laugh:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2011, 10:58:04 AM »
 =|
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2011, 06:34:57 PM »
PC guy myself, I learned Assembler back when I was a teenager and later, C/C++.  I just liked the way the PC worked compared to the mac, I never really was attracted to anything by apple.  Not to say that they're bad, they're just not for me.

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2011, 10:32:33 AM »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2011, 01:31:21 PM »
Mac users more liberal than PC users:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2384001,00.asp
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2011, 03:11:13 PM »
Mac users are 80% more likely to be vegetarians.

Guess the debate's over.

The survey tells us nothing we didn't already know. Mac users tend to be people who can afford Macs, and/or want to be pretentious. Shocker.

I'd like to have one of their cool-lookin' tower mo-sheens. The G5, is it?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2011, 11:01:01 PM »
I'm in the Mac age demographic.  +1 mac

I'm neither liberal nor conservative.  I'm about as moderate as they come. Neither

"City" is pretty meaningless as they seem to consider "suburb" a category distinct from "city."  However, I live in a city.  A lot of "rural" people live in cities too, depending on how you count.  I do live in a city though it was by chance, not choice. +2 mac

I have completed a couple degrees. +3 mac

I don't know and would dearly love not to care how I am perceived by others.  Neither

I've never "thrown a party" but have hosted quite a few random hanging-out sessions involving food and "entertainment" (laughing at webcomics or the antics of children, watching movies).  Neither

"More alike or different" is a nonsensical question.  Are we talking about people as biological units, in which case a random person and a random vole are more alike than different, or are we being more profound?  Neither

I have a much, much stronger verbal aptitude.  It's been measured.  Imho, this is the key factor.  +4 mac

"Prefer impressionist art" to what?  I too prefer impressionist art to a poke in the eye, especially if I get to sell the art and keep the proceeds.  I can get all kinds of worked up over some pieces of 20th c. art, but if offered the choice between an afternoon at the Met or the MOMA, I'd go with the Met. +1 PC

My style tends is Ikea, another one of those typically urban/liberal brands.  I appreciate good design and dislike typical American furniture.  Over-sized, over-stuffed, and under-designed.  However, the whole retro thing is stupid.  Old stuff is what Goodwill is for. +5 mac

Harley v. Vespa?  Are you f-ing kidding me?  This is a question.  (Yes.  Harley.  Not even a question.) +2 PC

I have recently turned into a sugar fiend.  I spent much of the past week in a household full of people on no-sugar diets.  I resorted to eating the lumps out of the sugar container kept for coffee.  When I ran out of lumps, I got a spoon.  +3 PC

Vegetarian?  No.  Nuh-uh.  Ain't happening.  +4 PC

I prefer BK fries.  What the heck are "bistro-type fries"?

Of the choices offered, I'd go with Pepsi or Orange crush, but my fountain beverage of choice is actually two parts unsweetened iced tea to one part Mountain Dew. +5 PC

I like tuna, hummus, and shwarma.  Don't know what a hero is, don't know what Banh Mi is, don't care for a patty melt, if I haven't gotten my terminology confused.  +6 mac

Hot toddies and gimlets are cool.  Those other things qualify as alcohol abuse.  +7 mac

I like reds better, but drink whites more often, and really tend to go for sweet reds.  Neither.

Global growth of computing?  PC, no question.  Duh.  +6 PC

Computers are struggling with a foreign language for me.  That is why I use Mac: smaller vocab.  +7 PC

NYT, no question.  USA Today is ok if one is out of toilet paper, I guess.  +8 Mac

South Park is WAY funnier.  +8 PC

I couldn't generalize.   More movies I have access to are from Hollyweird, but I enjoy a good indie flick when I come across it.  Neither.

Huh? Wha?

Bravo, Show, HBO?  Yes.  The History Channel offends me as a student of history.  +9 Mac

Daily Show/Colbert Report.  Because TV news should be a) funny and b) not news +10 mac

Again with the tv?  I have no frame of reference.  neither  And on the books and mags?  None of these. 

Guess I'm a mac person, by a narrower margin than I thought.  Odd, I didn't feel defined by my computer.  Weird.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2011, 09:04:56 PM »

Bravo, Show, HBO?  Yes.  The History Channel offends me as a student of history.  +9 Mac

I don't get that new fangled cable TV here at home, but I was staying in a motel a few weeks ago and the History channel had Larry the cable guy describing the history of running moonshine. It was actually pretty interesting. Of course, that might have been because I was drunk at the time.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2011, 09:23:33 PM »
I don't get that new fangled cable TV here at home, but I was staying in a motel a few weeks ago and the History channel had Larry the cable guy describing the history of running moonshine. It was actually pretty interesting. Of course, that might have been because I was drunk at the time.

History channel went from being pretty decent, to being the "Hitler Channel" (because they were obsessed with shows about Nazi Germany) and now they have a whole bunch of stupid reality shows (Ax Men, Swamp People, WTF?). I'm rather disappointed (good thing I'm not paying for cable or satellite so I don't have it at home)

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!