Author Topic: Are you a Mac person or a PC person?  (Read 5672 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Are you a Mac person or a PC person?
« on: April 22, 2011, 11:59:01 PM »
http://blog.hunch.com/?p=45344

From the survey results, I skew towards the PC and I am in fact a PC person.  My wife uses a Mac, but her demographics are also skewed towards the PC end of the spectrum.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Are you a Mac person or a PC person?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 12:13:26 AM »

I'm a PC person.  Because my machine is bloody well mine, and I run it as I please and I don't need my hand held. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 12:20:11 AM »
I'm a PC person.  Because my machine is bloody well mine, and I run it as I please and I don't need my hand held. 

This.

My sister, who doesn't really know a damn thing about computers, brought a Mac several months ago, and then stood up in front of her (and my) public speaking class and gave a presentation on why Macs were "better". It was a presentation with no substance, concentrating on how Macs were better because of 1) Looks 2) They are "higher quality" 3) They don't catch viruses/malware!

Yet guess what happened to the Mac last night? And, oh, and should I mention that the case is bulging, too, from poor assembly? And that it doesn't work with our printer?

But the desktop sure looks cool, yo.

(this post was typed on a 5 year old Dell that's only problems have been a DVD drive that went out and the battery pack has long gone flat)

« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 12:25:08 AM by Avenger29 »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 12:21:46 AM »

Hey, that's why I'm a Fedora/Ubuntu person!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 12:28:47 AM »

Sorry, Nick, you know I have to do this:

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 12:43:38 AM »

CentOS, Ubuntu, slack, XP, BeOS, AIX* guy myself. 

My point is that my computer does not define me.  What I bloody DO with my machines define me.  I'm not a weak minded naive that needs to buy some product to identify myself by.  Yay, I bought an XYZ, so I can be an artsy whatever.  Yay, I bought an ABC so I can be seen as productive minded.  Whatever.  I don't care what OS a person uses, as long as they rock it, hard. 

That said, I do like asking folks why they paid so much for a BSD clone with a pretty graphic environment.  I love the blank stares, and that tells me all I have to know.

Properly installed, configured and utilized, basically all OS can be stable, secure and productive.  If you're arguing that one OS is zOMG!!!11! so much better, you're not a geek.  You're a fanboy.  You are...  a user.

* Don't you dare judge me.  I was young, drunk and really needed the money.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 12:45:26 AM »
Like, whatever, man.

Free software dude, that's like, how it's suppose to be, man.

Hey, aaaaaa, where did my ummm... doritos go, man?

My point is that my computer does not define me.  What I bloody DO with my machines define me.  I'm not a weak minded naive that needs to buy some product to identify myself by.  Yay, I bought an XYZ, so I can be an artsy whatever.  Yay, I bought an ABC so I can be seen as productive minded.  Whatever.  I don't care what OS a person uses, as long as they rock it, hard. 

Amen.  Let me guess, you use zsh too?  =D

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 01:05:21 AM »
I own both, and use both. Don't know what that makes me, but there's no way I'd ride a Vespa, even if I didn't have a Harley. And I have no idea what, Hummus, Banh Mi or Shwarma are. Sound like strains of bacteria to me.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 01:09:12 AM »
PC person, for similar reasons as RevDisk.

I generally don't have a problem with the Mac OS; I've worked on it enough to be comfortable using it.  I just don't see it as being particularly special, and sure as hell isn't worth the Apple tax, especially since its vaunted stability (which isn't really that much greater than a properly set up Windows system) depends greatly on its limited hardware options and the fact that its a BSD clone.

If I need the security of *nix, I'll use a free *nix OS.  If I need something that works with tons of software, I'll use Windows. I can also do graphic and video editing just as well on Windows as I can on Mac (better, in some cases, because I have a wider range of hardware options).  Mac just doesn't really do anything particularly useful to be worth it for me.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 01:39:04 AM »
This would be coming to you from a Linux laptop, but Linux has no properly functioning drivers for the wireless card.

PC is used because I have used PCs for most of my life. I am used to them and the way they function, and I have many programs (mostly games) that only run on PC. Mac is fine, it just won't run 10+ years worth of programs, and many of them have no ports for Mac.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 02:17:34 AM »
Macbooks are pretty and all, but I don't want to pay the tax. If I needed to play lots of games I might at least have a Windows partition, but as it is Ubuntu fits my needs (cheap, works, and not annoying or fussy).
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 07:59:15 AM »
I own both, and use both. Don't know what that makes me, but there's no way I'd ride a Vespa, even if I didn't have a Harley. And I have no idea what, Hummus, Banh Mi or Shwarma are. Sound like strains of bacteria to me.

ML, that makes you a swinger.   =D

Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 08:08:50 AM »
That said, I do like asking folks why they paid so much for a BSD clone with a pretty graphic environment the NeXT UI.  I love the blank stares, and that tells me all I have to know. .
Fixed.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 08:34:39 AM »
Seems like a right brain/left brain sort of thing when it comes to computer choice.

I dunno, for some reason I find apple/mac people annoying. They tend to let you know that they are apple/mac people as if it makes them 'special'. 
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 09:34:42 AM »
Other than in Mac/PC threads, have I ever mentioned having a Mac? It's not something I brag about, especially on a forum with so many tech types.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2011, 09:55:29 AM »
I have macs and windows machines at home, windows and Linux machines at work.  They are each suitable for different things, I have no real preference.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2011, 10:01:28 AM »
I did a dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/windowspartition in November of 1998 and never went back.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2011, 10:23:35 AM »
mac user/tech/electronic publishing guru since 1984.
I had my first design published in 1985

back in 1991, our prepress shop stopped accepting PC files
as they never imaged correctly the first time,
and the extra hand holding ate too much of the profits.

I moved many graphic design departments from the command line to the GUI

Now i run mac, pc, & linux
but my precision platform for making pixels obey is adobe photoshop on the mac.

Apple has an iron grip on the hardware/software interface,
and that certainly makes for an effective end user experience.
Fighting that because you want "control" is counter productive.

The key commands and macros are there if you look.
The 2 button mouse wars are over. Macs right click
and they also 3 finger salute.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2011, 10:26:35 AM »
Logic Studio , even after the apple tax, is a better, easier to use, and cheaper solution than a protools HD workstation.

That's why i got into macs.

Currently, I'm typing this on my gaming PC, a Core i7 PC bought from a big box manufacturer on sale, then promptly wiped and fresh-OS'd.

As much as i am a "Mac" person, I find Windows 7 to be very good.

At work, it's server 2008R2 and windows 7, with a few linux boxes, and the ESX servers running their stripped down OS.

I dislike the fanboy douches. They make the rest of us Mac users look bad. The mac is better for the wife due to it's slim form factor and the software she uses, and for my music production. That doesn't make it some end-all of computing, and I hate when people insist they're better for EVERYTHING
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2011, 10:37:35 AM »
Started out with Apple 2e (and a g) simply because Apple had donated a bunch of machines to the local school district and I wanted to have a compatible machine at home for the kids.  I later saw the trend to 8000 processors and bought my first PC (A Xerox with an LCD monitor) from my then to be wife just to get familiar with it.  Liked the 8000 series processors better than the 6500, simply because I seemed to have a mental block about the 6500's paging system.  Took a course in 8000 assembly language and played around a lot with an 8085 "SDK-85" (Systems Development Kit).

Just never ventured back to Apple stuff, even when the Mac came out.

Still have a functioning (con drives, green monitor, some literature) 2e and a 2g sitting in storage.  Boat anchors, anyone?

So I guess I'm a PC-er, not by Devotion, but by sheer Practicality. 

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 11:29:55 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2011, 11:48:07 AM »
I feel forgotten, no mention of Commodore 64 users at all.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2011, 12:07:04 PM »
What PC (or Mac) people listen to the Rachel Maddow Show?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2011, 03:25:37 PM »
Core demographics:
  • I'm far outside of BOTH age ranges. 
  • I'm fiscally and politically conservative, socially [somewhat]liberal
  • I have a post-graduate, professional degree
Personality: I have none (so I've been told)
  • I don't fit in with anyone, anywhere
  • I never throw parties
  • Random people are ... random
  • My math and verbal aptitudes are equally high
Fashion, etc.:
  • I hate impressionist art
  • My style is "preppy/redneck"
  • My motorcycles were all Hondas
Food & Drink:
  • I crave both chocolate and potato chips
  • Diet Coke/Pepsi/store brand for the win
  • McDouble or Whopper Junior
  • I don't imbibe "spirits"
  • I also rarely touch wine
Technology:
  • Both companies built their personal computing on technology bought, licensed or stolen from outsde sources, so who cares?
  • Neither platform today has anything to do with "language." They're both about which pretty picture you click to blow up whatever you've just worked on for a week. Draw.
  • I had "adopted" the PC platform before the Mac existed.
Media:
  • Don't read either the NYT or USA Yesterday
  • I don't watch television
  • I don't go to movies (or rent DVDs)
  • Science fiction (Anne McCaffrey)
  • Shooting Times
Overall, it seems clear that I don't belong in either "demographic," yet I use PCs and loathe Macs. Basically, it all comes down to "Whatever you learn first is what you consider 'intuitive.'" I learned the PC back during the days of PC-DOS (later MS-DOS). Macs don't make any sense to me whatsoever, and it has little to do with whether I prefer Pinot Noir or Bud Lite.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2011, 04:51:53 PM »
A couple years old and outdated, but still funny as heck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEAGmBRC1dc

*Langauge Warning*

Brad
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 04:55:20 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

zahc

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2011, 07:06:09 PM »
I haven't run Windows since 2006. I don't have macs either; I use desktop linux. When I have to use Windows it's like a quaint blast from the past. It's really a toy operating system. If I could just get a Linux Steam client, I'd really have it made.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine