Author Topic: People on Terror Watch List Buy Guns  (Read 6191 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
People on Terror Watch List Buy Guns
« on: April 28, 2011, 10:38:32 AM »
The part of this story that perked my interest was that one of the criteria for being on the watch list was the generic, "attending training camps". One might assume that just meant a camp in Pakistan. One might also assume, based on information we've all seen, that it could apply to the current broad meaning of "domestic militia groups". Since the list is secret, there's no way to know if it includes Hassad Abib who just got back from Al Queda training, or Joe Smith who just got back from an Appleseed shoot or Thunder Ranch.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/04/28/fbi-247-people-terro-watch-list-bought-guns-2010/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: People on Terror Watch List Buy Guns
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 11:13:42 AM »
If the terror watch list has 450,000 people like the article cites, then that's 1.5% of the American population.

We're almost reaching "threeper" levels of people that the government doesn't trust, for one reason or another.

If they have 450,000 names on that list, I guarantee you that many prominent gun rights advocates are on there, Tea Party founders, probably Fred from Appleseed and most of his original core of instructors, and probably 10% of arfcom and most other gun forums.  Probably most survivalist/prepper blog writers, too.

Edit:

Quote from: guy who can't do math
If the terror watch list has 450,000 people like the article cites, then that's 1.5% of the American population.

Man, my math is off today.

450,000 out of 300,000,000 is not 1.5%.

It's 0.15%.

Less than 1 %.

But, it's still an entire freakin' town.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 04:47:47 PM by AZRedhawk44 »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be infringed.
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 11:34:14 AM »
I don't know why we don't just take all those 450,000 people and put them in internment camps for the duration.  I mean, you know, it's not like it's unprecedented or anything.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 05:13:06 PM »
If I'm not on a list I demand to know the reason why! [tinfoil]

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 08:44:30 PM »
If they have 450,000 names on that list, I guarantee you that many prominent gun rights advocates are on there, Tea Party founders, probably Fred from Appleseed and most of his original core of instructors, and probably 10% of arfcom and most other gun forums.  Probably most survivalist/prepper blog writers, too.

Ha-ha, suckas!  With a post count this high, I've just GOT to be on the list. I rock!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 08:58:09 PM »
I don't know why we don't just take all those 450,000 people and put them in internment camps for the duration. 

I recognize your sarcasm, but the duration of what?
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 09:46:53 PM »

The interminable emergency.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 09:50:02 PM »

The War with Eurasia

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 11:07:57 PM »

Yea, Due Process is just such a drag, dude.  I'd honestly like to know how this Terror Watch list can legally be used for any infringement of civil liberties, as by definition they have committed no crimes.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 11:12:01 PM »
Yea, Due Process is just such a drag, dude.  I'd honestly like to know how this Terror Watch list can legally be used for any infringement of civil liberties, as by definition they have committed no crimes.

And since you aren't allowed to know if you are on the list, you have no way to face your accuser, know what, or even if you are being accused of.  I think this is major bad unconstitutional...denying your second amendment rights by throwing out the 5th?  If such a law passed it would take about 5 seconds for the first lawsuit to be filed...just have to find someone who is on the list.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 11:28:16 PM »
And since you aren't allowed to know if you are on the list, you have no way to face your accuser, know what, or even if you are being accused of.  I think this is major bad unconstitutional...denying your second amendment rights by throwing out the 5th?  If such a law passed it would take about 5 seconds for the first lawsuit to be filed...just have to find someone who is on the list.

Meh, you realize that you'd probably qualify for being on the terrorist list just by putting those words on the internet? 

Point of the "watch lists" is petty power, office politics empire building and to justify more of a budget.  Actually increasing security is most often by accident or coincidence. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 11:38:27 PM »
If I'm not on a list I demand to know the reason why! [tinfoil]

stay safe.

After your recent dealings with Authoritay you're probaly on the short list for a suite at Gitmo.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 12:46:58 AM »
After your recent dealings with Authoritay you're probaly on the short list for a suite at Gitmo.

Beach side or pool side?
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 01:13:04 AM »

But, it's still an entire freakin' town.

Town hell..  its half my state!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 05:52:07 AM »

Isn't it all worth it  if it prevents another 9/11?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2011, 10:19:14 AM »

I'll be the cold hearted SOB that comes right out and says it with absolutely no sugar coating.

No.

A thousand dead cops, children, women, men, mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, soldiers, babies and "poor under-privileged oppressed minority sons who were turning their life around" are worth neither the outright destruction nor the gradual seeping erosion of the priceless individual liberties inherent to human existence that were once devoutly cherished and fiercely defended in this Union.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2011, 10:39:22 AM »
I'll be the cold hearted SOB that comes right out and says it with absolutely no sugar coating.

No.

A thousand dead cops, children, women, men, mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, soldiers, babies and "poor under-privileged oppressed minority sons who were turning their life around" are worth neither the outright destruction nor the gradual seeping erosion of the priceless individual liberties inherent to human existence that were once devoutly cherished and fiercely defended in this Union.

I'll be the cold hearted SOB who nominates this for the post of hte day awardâ„¢
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2011, 02:41:25 PM »

No.

I agree with this.   We are Americans.   Millions for defense, not one cent for tribute.    In dollars or lives.   Giving everything we are in tribute to a false sense of security is a worthless gesture at best.   A betrayal to our country.   Every politician who demands our freedom via blatantly unconstitutional means is no better, morally speaking, than the terrorists who wish to take it from us by violence.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2011, 06:28:02 PM »
Every politician who demands our freedom via blatantly unconstitutional means is no better, morally speaking, than the terrorists who wish to take it from us by violence.

I'd argue that that politician is actually worse than the terrorist.

You KNOW the terrorist is looking to simply kill you. That politician, on the other hand, wants to turn you into a puppet, doing whatever the government says with total control over your life.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be infringed.
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2011, 09:42:39 PM »
 MicroBalrog:

kgbsquirrel

No.

Terry jumps up and hollers "Hear, hear!"

RevDisk added:

I agree with this.   We are Americans.   Millions for defense, not one cent for tribute.    In dollars or lives.   Giving everything we are in tribute to a false sense of security is a worthless gesture at best.   A betrayal to our country.   Every politician who demands our freedom via blatantly unconstitutional means is no better, morally speaking, than the terrorists who wish to take it from us by violence.

Terry jumps up again: "Tie for quote of the day!"

This evanascent, fragile, "thing" called Freedom cannot be evaluated in terms of dollars or weighed in grams.   But it has enormous value.

A lot of people do not understand that. 

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2011, 10:50:39 PM »
I'd argue that that politician is actually worse than the terrorist.

You KNOW the terrorist is looking to simply kill you. That politician, on the other hand, wants to turn you into a puppet, doing whatever the government says with total control over your life.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
-- C.S. Lewis
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2011, 08:34:09 AM »
C. S. Lewis  was wrong.

The worst tyranny is that where the tyrant BOTH feels he's acting for self-interest AND serving a higher cause.

Teachers' unions are a prime example.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

birdman

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2011, 09:26:45 AM »
Meh, you realize that you'd probably qualify for being on the terrorist list just by putting those words on the internet?  . 

They need me too much to do that :).

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2011, 09:32:11 AM »
You can engineer just fine from the Gulag prison camp Civic Education Facility.  And you'd better, if you know what's good for you. :police:

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2011, 10:03:04 AM »
I am in the process of getting a Secret for my new job. Section 29 Question G bothered me.  The wording....Here...skip ahead to 29.
http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/sf86.pdf
i've never been part of any groups, but I thought that one was troublesome. The rest of the questions ask about actual overthrow, or acts of terrorisim. G asks if you've just been part of a militia.  Huh.  What if your group fully believes in and supports constitution? (like Declaration Day's group). 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”