Author Topic: Sling advice - DoorkickingmallninjaM4geryMOUToperatorstyle  (Read 6735 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
I've got 1903 slings.  I can use 'em right.

I've got GI cotton 2 point slings.  I can use 'em right.

I've got generic craptastic walmart "so I can carry it" slings.  I can use 'em as well as they can be used.

This new M4 .22 rig I've put together needs a sling.  I was thinking of seeing what was so cool about single-point and three-point slings.  What benefit they have.  Seems many of the carbine/defensive courses require either single-point or three-point sling. 

What does APS recommend?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Sling advice - DoorkickingmallninjaM4geryMOUToperatorstyle
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 03:43:27 PM »
Single point is so you can drop your carbine RFN and transition to a pistol, or handle some other gear that needs both hands with urgency. If it wacks you in the nads or kneecaps you when you drop it, well.. that's just not important.  =D

Three point slings are complicated (at first), but allow you to do several useful things.

1. Carry it "Israeli Style", slung at your waist, kind of like a purse for ready action.
2. Carry it half waist/half back, in almost the traditional sling position.
3. Split the loops and carry it muzzle down, "backpack style".
4. You can use the loops for a three point shoulder hold like the 1903 sling, or somewhat like the scout-loop/Ching sling idea and get your forearm/elbow in there so the rifle is braced at four points when shooting. Fore support hand. Sling on the elbow. Rear hand on the grip, stock on the shoulder.

Single point is what you want to be wearing for "trouble". Three point is what you want to be wearing for a patrol or long watch IMO.

Some of the best slings are at Blue Force Gear.

Just playing with a .22AR, I'd get whatever was cheap at Brownell's/Midway. To a degree, nylon webbing is nylon webbing. Fastex buckles are Fastex buckles. For a class or three-gun, I'd go with better, but barring bad stitching, I'd be kind of surprised if even a Chinastan sling actually failed.

Here's a nice tutorial on making your own. http://theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=106&Itemid=55
I promise not to duck.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 07:02:36 PM »
2-point for the win.

Single-point means getting your nads and knees beat up. If there is a bungee, you'll knock out your teeth.

Three-point has too many straps and buckles. The extra strap will get in the way of the left side of the receiver. Slower to move the rifle to your off side.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 07:37:33 PM »
Three-point has too many straps and buckles.

I think it's fairly safe to say that three point slings have been superseeded by 2 point quick adjust slings, two of the most notable examples of which are the Blue Force Gear Vickers sling and the Viking Tactics sling. I have both but personally prefer the Blue Force Gear sling.

A single point sling is great for switching shoulders and is basically really nothing more than a gun leash to keep it at hand when you transition to pistol.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 09:44:05 PM »
I think it's fairly safe to say that three point slings have been superseeded by 2 point quick adjust slings, two of the most notable examples of which are the Blue Force Gear Vickers sling and the Viking Tactics sling. I have both but personally prefer the Blue Force Gear sling.

A single point sling is great for switching shoulders and is basically really nothing more than a gun leash to keep it at hand when you transition to pistol.
Exactly.

I have only the Vickers slings on my rifles.  I've even modified them a bit ny removing some extra webbing and one extra buckle.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 09:57:03 PM »
Agreed. Two points are what I run on my AR's/M16's/M4's

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 10:16:29 PM »
Did some research, and got a Blue Force Gear Vickers sling for my carbine build.

If some carbine courses require single point or three-point slings . . . I'd be inclined to bypass them in favor of a course with a more competent instructor.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 11:24:30 PM »
If some carbine courses require single point or three-point slings . . . I'd be inclined to bypass them in favor of a course with a more competent instructor.

Seems many of the carbine/defensive courses require either single-point or three-point sling. 

I've seen courses that require a sling that's decent for weapons retention during transition, but haven't seen one yet that specifies the type of sling like that. I bet if you contact them and explain what you are using they'd allow it.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 06:10:25 AM »
1. Carry it "Israeli Style", slung at your waist, kind of like a purse for ready action.

Explain this "Israeli style" rifle carry.

Perhaps photographs would help to clarify... I'm having this vision of people carrying rifles horizontally at waist level, and I don't remember people actually doing that in the IDF.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 10:19:02 AM »
Explain this "Israeli style" rifle carry.

Perhaps photographs would help to clarify... I'm having this vision of people carrying rifles horizontally at waist level, and I don't remember people actually doing that in the IDF.

Hmm... looking for pics. I'm sure it's not specifically "Israeli Style", but it's the modern example (true or not) and got called that like how "Kleenex" means all facial tissue here in the U.S.

It goes back to how before there was hardware to actually carry in this style, troops would use paracord to tie off on the stock and the M-16's front sight tower to facilitate this kind of carry. The belief being it was popularized in the IDF where troops were often carrying around a rifle all day.

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/8572/23wm4.jpg
I promise not to duck.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 10:22:03 AM »
Oh. That.

This is mostly done for comfort. The 'tactical' way to do it - which drill instructors insist on - is the same, but with the rifle to the front of your body.

OTOH, a rifle at your back is easier to walk/do things with. Especially mass transit!
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 01:29:23 PM »
Oh. That.

This is mostly done for comfort. The 'tactical' way to do it - which drill instructors insist on - is the same, but with the rifle to the front of your body.

OTOH, a rifle at your back is easier to walk/do things with. Especially mass transit!

Yes, it was the best/quickest picture I could find. And to the front so the rifle was at a near horizontal low-ready is what I really meant.
I promise not to duck.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 01:44:04 PM »
Yep, I used to have an AR15 and had a 3-point sling on it - found out that it does indeed work, but gets in the way, is very bulky, and they're not cheap. I now use single-point or two-point quick-adjust slings. :)
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 01:04:31 AM »
I like the two-point quick-adjust by Viking Tactics.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 11:40:24 AM »
I've got the Magpul MS2 sling that I switch out between AR's.  It easily changes from single to two point.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 12:10:32 PM »
THREAD LEECH ALERT.

Recommendations on M1A slings? I just have a G.I. web sling right now. Seems the Vickers slings require adapters for use with M1A/M14s?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2011, 02:46:58 PM »
THREAD LEECH ALERT.

Recommendations on M1A slings? I just have a G.I. web sling right now. Seems the Vickers slings require adapters for use with M1A/M14s?

What kind of sling attachment hardware do you have on yours right now? (I'm assuming just standard swivels at the bottom of a standard GI style stock).

You need to decide on what type of attachment you want to use, be it the sling itself threaded through loops (like the Burnseed loop https://danieldefense.com/mounts-1/carbine-burnsed-loop-right-hand.html), Uncle Mike's style QD pushbutton sling mounts, HK hooks, or you can even use parachute cord if you are a cheap bastard. Surely there's stuff out there for the M1A for all three

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2011, 05:06:20 PM »
I just bought a pretty nice 3 point for my AR, figured that 15 years with no sling was long enough, rather than buy too many more guns, getting more in the mood to sling my guns, check zeroes, mount scopes, and configure low cost carrying equipment containing ammo, spares and cleaning gear.

So far I like the 3 point, especially that I can roll the gun around to my back and have it stay there, looking for long walk comfort mainly.

Other than that, I'm a 1907 kinda guy.

I'm up to 3 centerfire rifles and a pump shotgun that can be out the door in 30 seconds or less with spare ammo, mags, etc. No sense sitting in the safe and looking pretty.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2011, 05:40:22 PM »
What kind of sling attachment hardware do you have on yours right now? (I'm assuming just standard swivels at the bottom of a standard GI style stock).

Yeah, standard swivels. Also I'm left-handed.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2011, 08:03:04 PM »
The thing about single-point slings is that they're really only useful for short weapons. You don't want one on a standard-length AR or shotgun.
D. R. ZINN