Author Topic: CA - No Constitutional Right to Carry  (Read 2951 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
CA - No Constitutional Right to Carry
« on: May 16, 2011, 11:28:12 PM »
The antis continue the insanity in California.
Federal judge says there is no consitutional right to carry a concealed firearm, in part becasue California allows open (unloaded) carry. Meanwhile the California legislature is in the process of banning open (unloaded) carry.
 :facepalm:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/05/16/federal-judge-rules-calif-gun-advocates/
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 12:27:15 AM »
Federal judge says there is no consitutional right to carry a concealed firearm, in part becasue California allows open (unloaded) carry. Meanwhile the California legislature is in the process of banning open (unloaded) carry.

He used "rationally related", the 9th won't like that based on precedent, particularly if OC goes away.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 10:51:57 AM »

The scuttlebutt on Calguns suggests that the judge who made this ruling has a CCW permit. Interesting that his unloaded, open carry argument seemed to be partially based on an individual "...being able to quickly load their firearm for self defense use".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 11:14:22 AM »
Quick..  somebody design a holster specific to CA that stores a pistol with the slide locked back to make it faster to slap in a magazine and chamber a round!

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 03:15:19 PM »
The scuttlebutt on Calguns suggests that the judge who made this ruling has a CCW permit. Interesting that his unloaded, open carry argument seemed to be partially based on an individual "...being able to quickly load their firearm for self defense use".

The Supremes in Heller ruled that even with locked doors, windows and walls buying you time to react that requiring unloaded storage was not acceptable for self-defense.

The judge just tacitly acknowledged bearing as part of the right.  If OC survives the appeal on this, if it can still be made, would open up that argument to carry where you have even less time to react.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: CA - No Constitutional Right to Carry
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 07:49:51 PM »
By member request, I split this topic off from the Illinois CCW topic.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 10:58:50 PM »

and we get kicked in the 'nads yet again..... :P :'(
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 11:24:28 PM »

Man, I'm glad you told us that 'cause I had no memory of starting this trhead ???

So, coupled with Heller's denouncement of unloaded storage for self defense it makes me ask if the judge actually read the Heller decision.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 06:37:44 AM »

So, coupled with Heller's denouncement of unloaded storage for self defense it makes me ask if the judge actually read the Heller decision.

I'm more interested if he read the McDonald decision....because this needs to be shot down either way....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 02:17:09 PM »
I'm more interested if he read the McDonald decision....because this needs to be shot down either way....

What was added in McDonald that would be relevent?  He is accepting Heller applies to the states (the 9th was an early adopter), he just says it doesn't say what it does.