Author Topic: Secret Service Fail  (Read 4889 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Secret Service Fail
« on: May 23, 2011, 12:51:41 PM »
http://www.rte.ie/news/av/2011/0523/media-2963651.html#

Obama's Limo gets high-centered leaving the US Embassy in Dublin.

They obviously didn't:
1. Test drive any parts of the route
2. Drive the Prez Limo into the Embassy through that gate when they brought it in.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

grampster

• friend
Re: Secret Service Fail
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 12:57:19 PM »
I guess that's a new take on the Obama campaign for re-election coming to a screeching halt. :P =D

Also a good example of how job security in the SS teeters on the brink. :O
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 01:09:33 PM »
A Secret Service agent smashed up the side of an up-armored limo not six days ago at my place of work.  During a dry run the day before Obama's visit to CT, she took a corner too sharp and hit one our bollards (removable metal pillars).  That's why they're supposed to do dry runs.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 01:11:40 PM »
Hah.  Rush Limbaugh just talked with a caller (from Ireland) who spoke about this mishap.  Glad to see the video. 
And yup, I would think dry runs would be a "good" thing.   [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 01:11:58 PM »
A Secret Service agent smashed up the side of an up-armored limo not six days ago at my place of work.  During a dry run the day before Obama's visit to CT, she took a corner too sharp and hit one our bollards (removable metal pillars).  That's why they're supposed to do dry runs.

Did ya'll point and laugh?
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 01:19:06 PM »
We managed to hold it in until after they left. :D. She was embarrassed enough on her own!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 01:19:59 PM »
I thought they trained those SS drivers well.

Lesson#1 from my applied kinetics driving course. With enough speed any obstacle is possible. The driver's discretion may determine the force of impact on the other side.

I remember driving my little 2WD Subaru GL past well and truly stuck 4-Runners. Don't stop, ever.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 01:22:10 PM »
how many folks are in it?  and how did they getr it off?  sometimes off loading the passengers will unstick em.....  or so i've heard :facepalm:
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 01:23:56 PM »
how many folks are in it?  and how did they getr it off?  sometimes off loading the passengers will unstick em.....  or so i've heard :facepalm:

Was Michelle with him in the car?  :laugh:
I promise not to duck.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 01:24:04 PM »
I thought they trained those SS drivers well.

Lesson#1 from my applied kinetics driving course. With enough speed any obstacle is possible. The driver's discretion may determine the force of impact on the other side.

I remember driving my little 2WD Subaru GL past well and truly stuck 4-Runners. Don't stop, ever.

Hey, I used to do the same thing in my Justy!  I literally destroyed the transmission, though.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 02:00:02 PM »
If I'd been drinking coffee, it would have been all over my monitor and keyboard . . .  =D

They must have brought the limo in by another gate . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 02:14:42 PM »
Bwahahahahaha......

All those protective systems and nobody thought to put a suspension on that car that is remotely adjustable to give a higher clearance! Mobility kill by a mole hill! Seriously, what were those guys gonna do if someone ambushed the column and they had to go over a curb to GTFO?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 02:18:10 PM »
Bwahahahahaha......

All those protective systems and nobody thought to put a suspension on that car that is remotely adjustable to give a higher clearance! Mobility kill by a mole hill! Seriously, what were those guys gonna do if someone ambushed the column and they had to go over a curb to GTFO?

After all the 2008 speculation about low-profile tires and spinny rims... Will I be out of line if I say we have to wait for our first Hispanic president to get the limo so outfitted?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swO5Aw1TCKI
I promise not to duck.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 02:24:18 PM »
http://www.rte.ie/news/av/2011/0523/media-2963651.html#

Obama's Limo gets high-centered leaving the US Embassy in Dublin.

They obviously didn't:
1. Test drive any parts of the route
2. Drive the Prez Limo into the Embassy through that gate when they brought it in.

Maybe they drove it with an unloaded car and forgot to factor in the weight of passengers (and presumably a full tank of fuel).

Any unit makes mistakes. Always learn from them.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 02:26:06 PM »
After all the 2008 speculation about low-profile tires and spinny rims...

I've actually seen limo company rides outfitted as such. Including very stretched Escalades...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 02:43:17 PM »
After all the 2008 speculation about low-profile tires and spinny rims... Will I be out of line if I say we have to wait for our first Hispanic president to get the limo so outfitted?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swO5Aw1TCKI

If thats where this thread is going I'm sure I can scrounge up a lock around here somewhere. ;/
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 05:15:42 PM »
First doors on both sides open.  Then the passenger-side door closes.  Then the driver gets out to look at what's going on.

Meanwhile, the lead car has gone away and there is nothing (shadows, wailing siren, nothing) to indicate its return.  Also, the next vehicle in line just sits there - no doors open, nobody gets out.

There are soooooo many things wrong with that operation that one has to wonder if Obama was driven out another way in a Smart Car while nobody was looking and these goofs forgot to act as if the Prez was actually inside the limo.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 05:28:28 PM »
I'm amazed at two things:

1.  The POTUS limo doesn't have adjustable air suspension.  It very well could need to be pressed into service to drive on gravel or other unfavorable and uneven surfaces, or engage in urban curb-jumping maneuvers.
2.  The POTUS limo doesn't have a light duty polymer or metal "tank tread" spanning its undercarriage and tied to the rear axle drivetrain just in case it does happen to get high-centered.  it could then crawl forward until the rear wheels obtain traction again.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 08:01:29 PM »
It would have NEEDED some kind of chassis crawler to get off that bump. Did you see the moment when it hit? It was rocking back and forth pretty severely. None of the road wheels had enough contact to anything but spin if they'd tried to drive it off.

I was also pretty impressed by how thick those doors were when they opened. That's gotta be one solid limo ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2011, 08:29:05 PM »

There are soooooo many things wrong with that operation that one has to wonder if Obama was driven out another way in a Smart Car while nobody was looking and these goofs forgot to act as if the Prez was actually inside the limo.

At the bottom of the page is a link to another video of the event.  This one accompanied by a news anchor commentary.  She mentions that the president was actually in a different car.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 07:59:51 AM »
At the bottom of the page is a link to another video of the event.  This one accompanied by a news anchor commentary.  She mentions that the president was actually in a different car.

Must be my old phart eyes.  Can you give me the link, 'cause I can't see it.

Thanks.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 08:41:46 AM »
Must be my old phart eyes.  Can you give me the link, 'cause I can't see it.

Thanks.

stay safe.

From the original page, it was one of the thumbnails at the bottom.  But new stories have bumped it to page 3 of related content.  Either way, here's the direct link:

http://www.rte.ie/news/av/2011/0523/media-2963915.html#
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2011, 10:11:42 AM »
Watching the video, my first thought was it got caught by security bollards.  But I don't know.  I guess I saw some videos of some of those in England where they have "bus only" lanes where buses can lower the bollards, but they pop back up.  The videos were of cars running into them.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge