Author Topic: Engage in hyperbole much Mr. Mayor?  (Read 2124 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Engage in hyperbole much Mr. Mayor?
« on: May 26, 2011, 11:08:10 PM »
The so-called "constitutional carry" (no permits required) bill passed in a WI state senate committee yesterday, although it still looks like WI will wind up with shall-issue carry.

In an article in today's Journal Sentinel, ultra-leftist Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett appeared to be making demands of his own although, with Republicans controlling the senate, assembly and governor's office, it's hard to figure out how Barrett thinks he has any clout.

The article is here

The funny part is this:

Barrett said that bill was "simply kowtowing to the extremists who want this to be the wild, wild West."

Standing outside a Little League Baseball game at Carver Park, Barrett said the players and their fans would be endangered if people could legally carry weapons into the park with no permits, no training and no limits on how drunk they could be.

What's the matter with him? He forgot to say "blood in the streets", "packing heat", "road rage", "shootouts at every stoplight", and "permit holders will blow up nuclear reactors". *  Hizzoner is slipping.

*In the 2001 assembly debate, Democrat Representative Spencer Black said that, if the bill were passed, a permit holder could shoot at the Point Beach nuclear power plant and blow it up. I kid you not.

grampster

• friend
Re: Engage in hyperbole much Mr. Mayor?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 11:11:16 PM »
Even funnier yet is an article that I read recently regarding the "wild, wild west".  The gist of the story was that the west wasn't very wild at all.  I forget all the paticulars but I think one of the points in the article was that comparatively speaking, the west was quite tame when taking into account population.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 11:19:56 PM »
Even funnier yet is an article that I read recently regarding the "wild, wild west".  The gist of the story was that the west wasn't very wild at all.  I forget all the paticulars but I think one of the points in the article was that comparatively speaking, the west was quite tame when taking into account population.

Read "The Cowboy, The Samurai and The Sword" by Dave Koppell. He gathered a lot of research on violence and guns in the west in the 1800's, primarily from the works of university history professors. Rape was almost non-existent. Robberies were few. Murders were primarily drunk cowboys killing each other and, even at that, murder rates were much lower. The Wild West wasn't very wild, certainly compared to today.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 11:42:40 PM »
I think sometime in the '80s I once sat down with a calculator and figured out that if the number of people who were murdered in New York City in one year were murdered in Dodge City during its most violent period, at the rate prevelant in Dodge at the time, it would take about 600 years or something before the murders were completed.
Read "The Cowboy, The Samurai and The Sword" by Dave Koppell. He gathered a lot of research on violence and guns in the west in the 1800's, primarily from the works of university history professors. Rape was almost non-existent. Robberies were few. Murders were primarily drunk cowboys killing each other and, even at that, murder rates were much lower. The Wild West wasn't very wild, certainly compared to today.

+1.  Unfortunatly most people don't get their idea of what the west was like from well researched books, but from Hollywood stuff like "The Texan,"  "Have Gun Will Travel,"  "Bat Masterson,"  and other "shoot- 'em - ups."
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 01:14:13 AM »

http://www.amazon.com/Samurai-Mountie-Cowboy-David-Kopel/dp/0879757566

Samurai, Mountie and Cowboy

Good sociological text on why cross-cultural studies in general, but particularly in criminological areas, are dicey undertakings.

That's right makattak, sociology.  :P
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 01:16:35 AM »
Looks like they passed the "Alaska Carry" version through, not just "Vermont".
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 01:22:47 AM »

Sorry, Matthew. I was thinking about "The Cowboy, The Samurai and the Sword", a southwestern sushi cookbook.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 09:13:59 AM »

Good sociological text on why cross-cultural studies in general, but particularly in criminological areas, are dicey undertakings.

That's right makattak, sociology.  :P

LOL. Note I did not say all sociology and sociologists are useless. (Though most might work. :P) I said my cousin fit the caricature! :lol:
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought