Author Topic: For the sci-fi geeks with too much money.....  (Read 8828 times)

Declaration Day

• friends
For the sci-fi geeks with too much money.....
« on: June 14, 2011, 06:23:48 PM »
http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/collectibles/e041/?cpg=fbl_e041

When I have $900 burning a hole in my pocket, I buy a real gun. 

But this is just awesome!  =)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: For the sci-fi geeks with too much money.....
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 07:14:05 PM »
Oh man. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 07:14:51 PM »
Buy it, and convert it into a functional arm.

Get it to run 10mm pistol ammo from the magazine.  Though how you'll fit 95 rounds in there, I have no idea. =D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 07:25:34 PM »
Can you imagine how fun that might be to open carry, after you explain to the cops what it is?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 07:27:43 PM »
http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/collectibles/e041/?cpg=fbl_e041

When I have $900 burning a hole in my pocket, I buy a real gun. 

Ja, really.  I'm thinking one of KelTec's new shotguns would look just as cool (are they actually purchasable yet?), and do something useful.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 07:28:24 PM »
Ja, really.  I'm thinking one of KelTec's new shotguns would look just as cool (are they actually purchasable yet?), and do something useful.

Of course, but you can't deny the coolness of the Pulse Rifle.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 07:56:43 PM »
A modified M-1 Thompson submachine gun.  I didn't realize that when I first saw the movie, only years later when I saw a good photo.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 08:08:40 PM »
There are actually shooting replicas.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 09:18:30 PM »
There are actually shooting replicas.

Because of the '86 freeze, if you want F/A, even a donor MAC style base gun to build it around is going to cost you at least $3000 to start. Then there's two tax stamps, one for the MG, then one for the SBS Rem 870 to serve as the grenade launcher.

I think the firing ones were running around $5000 or so, with a waiting list of "don't ask". Although someone who's handy could probably make one from a donor Kahr/Thompson semi, and just SBR it, then SBS the shotgun...

But this? For $900, it ought to at least shoot Airsoft, if not .22LR or something.  :P
I promise not to duck.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 09:37:08 PM »
Didn't Cpl. Biehn describe it as "10mm caseless, armor piercing"?  =D

Nahh, I haven't seen that movie too often...
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 10:01:07 PM »
Because of the '86 freeze, if you want F/A, even a donor MAC style base gun to build it around is going to cost you at least $3000 to start. Then there's two tax stamps, one for the MG, then one for the SBS Rem 870 to serve as the grenade launcher.

I think the firing ones were running around $5000 or so, with a waiting list of "don't ask". Although someone who's handy could probably make one from a donor Kahr/Thompson semi, and just SBR it, then SBS the shotgun...

But this? For $900, it ought to at least shoot Airsoft, if not .22LR or something.  :P

You could get a semi-auto MAC-style gun here.... https://www.masterpiecearms.com/index2.php?cat=23
....for less than an full-auto version....then you only have to get the SBS Remington & the plastic mouldings made....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 10:26:38 PM »
$900 for a non-functional wall hanger?  I'll pass.

At least my wall hanger I picked up years ago can actually be used to skewer someone in a pinch.

Oh, and speaking of Science Fiction geeks, I can a cross this the other day.

Scientists develop world's first 'living laser' - http://www.hindustantimes.com/Scientists-develop-world-s-first-living-laser/Article1-709359.aspx

In brief, modify an embryonic kidney cell to produce some jelly fish protiens that emit light.  Stick the cell between two mirrors and flood with blue light.  Out comes a green laser.

Teaching biological systems to grow reflective crystaline structures should not be overly hard.  Some organisms do it already.  Tweek the code a bit to survive the vacuum of space, add some poor schmuck to be the CPU and Gentlemen, BEHOLD!  A living warship.

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 10:42:21 PM »
Who are you?......
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 11:07:30 PM »
Didn't Cpl. Biehn describe it as "10mm caseless, armor piercing"?  =D

Nahh, I haven't seen that movie too often...

It was LT Gorman who said that, and he clearly doesn't know what he's talking about.  Are you going to trust the hip pocket knowledge of a green Butterbar with only one prior combat jump?
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 11:11:43 PM »
Who are you?......

What do you want?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 11:21:58 PM »
What do you want?

I want to see your head on a pike. And as I look up at your lifeless eyes, I'll wave, like this. Can your associates arrange that for me?
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 11:47:10 PM »
It was LT Gorman who said that, and he clearly doesn't know what he's talking about.  Are you going to trust the hip pocket knowledge of a green Butterbar with only one prior combat jump?

You're right, I remember the exchange between Ripley and Gorman now.

Ripley: "LT, what do those rifles fire?"
Gorman: "10mm explosive-tip caseless. Why?"

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 11:58:19 PM »
They probably also shouldn't have taken advice on nuclear reactors from two non-engineers and held onto all those mags.  =D

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2011, 01:46:18 AM »
They probably also shouldn't have taken advice on nuclear reactors from two non-engineers and held onto all those mags.  =D
=D

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2011, 02:09:48 AM »
I pitched an article to Cracked.com which included this point.  The editors thought it was too narrow in scope, but I think my points are still valid.  I have edited it for Art's Grandma.

5 Reasons Why Joining The Army Ruined Aliens For Me

Aliens has always been my favorite science fiction movie.  I had to wait until 1988 to see it, as my parents just laughed at me when I asked to come with them to the theater two years earlier.  I fell in love with the film immediately, beginning an annual tradition of watching it and insisting that any friend who hadn't seen it drop everything immediately and sit down in front of the TV.  Occasionally, hog-tying was required, but the general consensus has always been that Aliens ranges from "okay" to "jaw-crushingly awesome."  Then, in 2005, I joined the United States Army, and that was pretty much the end of my man-crush on James Cameron.

1)  The United States Colonial Marine Corps sends one squad to LV-426

I was trained as an infantryman in the Army.  One of the first things you learn is that you never go anywhere alone.  You also never engage the enemy unless you have a 3 to 1 advantage, or if you're in a defensive position that you have to hold at all costs.  The USCMC chooses to send, into an unknown situation (ostensibly) with one green lieutenant, four non-commissioned officers, eight enlisted Marines, and a brave, potentially kick-butt but strangely pacifist android.  There are no indications that this is a "do or die" mission, nor that the USCMC is short on personnel.  The Sulaco is a huge freaking ship, with a spare dropship even, but instead the entire mission is entrusted to one squad.  That's bad enough, but:

2)  The Marines are mostly a bunch of dirtbags

I figure that Cameron wanted to give the Marines some extra character by making them a bunch of rag-tag non-conformists.  Private Hudson is a standout as the wise-cracker, but many others, including PVT Drake and PVT Vasquez, demonstrate an unacceptable level of unprofessionalism.  We're at least given hints that this squad has been subject to prior missions that were either boring or not much of a challenge, but unless they came directly from a prolonged fight, their demeanor is something any self-respecting NCO would put the kibosh on right quick.  I'm in the National Guard, and even we've got our crap together ten times over these guys.
   In all fairness, there are some good Marines in the bunch.  Corporal Hicks, obviously, as well as CPL Dietrich (the medic) and CPL Ferro (the dropship pilot) all perform admirably.  Why they haven't smoked their team members with a million pushups and twice as many mountainclimbers is beyond me.  Instead, we get a squad leader (SFC Apone) who is so distrusting of his Marines that he:

3)  The squad is relieved of their ammo at the worst possible moment

When under the cooling system for the reactors, Ripley points out that a stray round could damage the system and result in a meltdown.  Apparently, Weyland-Yutani is the only company in the galaxy that builds nuclear reactors without several redundant (and automatic) safety mechanisms to ensure that wouldn't happen.  Even the very first nuclear "reactor," the Uranium pile at the University of Chicago in 1944 (CP1) had an automatic mechanism to drop neutron moderators into the pile in the event of a runaway chain reaction.  Even if the Marines perforated the cooling system like a ream of Floridian election ballots, the worst that would happen is that the reactor would shut down... harmlessly.  While the cost of repairing the reactor is perhaps the true motivation behind Carter Burke's tacit approval of the ammo confiscation, it ultimately doesn't justify SFC Apone's decision to neuter the squad's firepower.
   PVT Frost is given the duty of carrying the magazines, which in real life would be anywhere from 7 to 10 mags per Marine (not including however many belts Vasquez and Drake hand over), which would be about a hundred pounds of ammo.  PVT Frost then gets turned into Marine flambe (probably because he couldn't move), and drops the ammo into some flaming napalm.  The ammo inexplicably explodes with enough force to kill another Marine (PVT Crowe).
   So, the squad gets jumped and several Marines die needlessly.  Time to call the dropship and pack it in.  Unfortunately:

4)  The dropship has no security whatsoever

The Marine's dropship is something we in the military like to call a "mission-critical asset."  That means if you lose it, everybody's doomed.  The lack of overall manpower notwithstanding, leaving only CPL Ferro and PVT Spunkmeyer behind to guard it is an unforgivable error.  Even still, two Marines should be able to at least ensure that the dropship isn't captured or destroyed without one last desperate transmission to the others declaring just how screwed they're about to be.  Instead, CPL Ferro is apparently content to watch Youtube on her cockpit console while PVT Spunkmeyer runs around the landing zone doing everything but paying attention to the dropship's open ramp.  The inevitable crash occurs, leaving the surviving Marines with precious few resources and only one option to call for the remaining dropship, which is left, rather conspicuously, on the unmanned Sulaco.  The option of waiting it out for seventeen days with hilarious and addictive Gin Rummy competitions is obviated by the destabilized nuclear reactor, which was improbably damaged during the dropship crash.  Barring again the problem with the reactor's apparent lack of reasonable safety mechanisms, the Marines are left to hold out in the command center while Bishop gets to the transmitter station.  Which leads us to:

5)  The Marines have terrible fire discipline

This is my favorite part of the movie, and I don't have much of an issue with the way that the Marines handle the situation from here on out.  Once the sentry guns run dry (what, you haven't watched the special edition?  What the hell is wrong with you?), xenomorphs soon overrun the complex.  When the fecal matter finally hits the oscillating blade (and there are a lot in the complex, aren't there?), the surviving Marines prepare to make a last stand.
   Soldiers and Marines are trained to conserve ammunition.  Riflemen most often fire their weapons in semi-auto, and M249 and M240 gunners fire in short, controlled bursts.  At the very least CPL Hicks reminds his people of this, advice they all promptly ignore.  Now in a panic situation, anything goes, but the Marines are well aware of how little ammo they have.  Furthermore, why is Ripley allowed to hold onto the M41A once LT Gorman wakes up?  The Marines are understandably pissed at him for what happened at the reactor, but if they trust him enough to give him a pistol, why not give him the pulse rifle?  He still has about a hundred times as much experience with the rifle than Ripley.  Still, they bravely slug it out, Burke gets what's coming to him, and Ripley lives long enough to mount a rescue mission for Newt.  The improbability of that endeavor has already been covered on Cracked (link to article), so I won't go over it again.

I've heard it argued that Weyland-Yutani intentionally sent in a small group of messed-up soldiers, but this doesn't make sense in the context of Burke's mission.  If the company really wanted to bring back a live alien, why not request a battalion of Marines?  Furthermore, why not bring the Marines into the loop?  If the company has enough power to influence the United States Colonial Marine Corps to run missions for them, why couldn't they just order them to bring back some eggs?  The dramatic impact of Ripley's discovery wouldn't have been lessened, she'd simply have fewer allies to get all pissed off at Burke.  Cameron could have simply killed far more Marines with far more aliens, which would have been just as much of a blast to watch.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2011, 02:28:17 AM »
Nicely, provocatively written! Each paragraph after the first couple I was waiting for the bomb to drop. Figuratively.You did not disappoint, as the bombs did, indeed, drop. Most well done.

Lanius

• Excubitor
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2011, 06:48:05 AM »
The thing is, were the whole film internally consistent, the Aliens would have gotten taken apart by the original colonists. For sports.

At that tech level, that is star travel, it will be trivially easy to scan human brains and run them as simulations inside titanium, nuclear powered terminator style bodies.

I imagine the aliens would
a) find it hard to infect machinery
b) if they managed to do that ... would find it impossible to beat such artifiical humans into hand to hand battle, due to metal being stronger than most things organic

Still, an interesting film could be made around the idea. I mean, if it were found out what the creatures really are, someone would like to study them and breed them, and lots of ethical questions there..

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2011, 09:53:34 AM »
The thing is, were the whole film internally consistent, the Aliens would have gotten taken apart by the original colonists. For sports.

At that tech level, that is star travel, it will be trivially easy to scan human brains and run them as simulations inside titanium, nuclear powered terminator style bodies.

I imagine the aliens would
a) find it hard to infect machinery
b) if they managed to do that ... would find it impossible to beat such artifiical humans into hand to hand battle, due to metal being stronger than most things organic

Still, an interesting film could be made around the idea. I mean, if it were found out what the creatures really are, someone would like to study them and breed them, and lots of ethical questions there..

I argue stuff like this a lot on the various forums. There's really been few movies and even fewer television shows that adequately displays the proper tech-level disparity for a civilization once it goes interstellar. Everything is downgraded horribly for the sake of relating an interesting story instead.

2001: A Spacey Odyssey is probably the only one that gets it right. An interstellar civilization might as well be nearly abstract as compared to us.

The Xenomorphs would be little more than interesting animals. Even now, if you take the deadliest predators on Earth, mix up their most dangerous traits and abilities into some kind of chimera monster animal, then just up it by a factor of ten, their impact on humanity as it stands now is still minimal without any technology.

A few flecks of nano smart dust fall gently into the storms of LV-486, land on the rocks, and start converting local materials into ever more copies of itself. The swarm covers the planet in an intelligent sensor network, discovers the "Space Jockey" ship and it's fossilized pilot, and the Xenomorph eggs. Sampling everything, the smart network extrapolates the Xenomorph life cycle, it's abilities, and adaptability to a variety of different environments. (And answers several questions the movie leaves unanswered, like "Are the Xenomorphs artificial?", "Who was/were the space jockey species? (elephant guy fused into the control seat)", and "Were the space jockey's using the Xenomprphs as weapons, labor, or trying to dispose of them?"

All this information is recorded, and uploaded into the wider Human/AI network, where it is an item of minor curiosity for a few minutes, before it becomes a footnote in our ever exponentially expanding knowledge base.

LV-486 is deemed suitable for Terraforming for biological humans to live out one of their allotted first-lives. (Before uploading as an Immortal to live with the AI's) The derelict ship, the Space Jockey, and the Xenomorph eggs having served their purpose, and recorded exactly to the last atom should it ever need to be retrieved, spontaneously falls into dust, carried away by LV-486's powerful winds.

The nanotech, done exploring, grows at alarming speed into a huge biological mat, covering the planet, and begins changing the atmosphere and weather patterns into something more suitable for humans.

A few years later, LV-486 is verdant, warm, and sunny, and we see the first generation of colonists, a few human toddlers playing in the fields, overseen by "adults" that are subtly artificial...

However, this makes a really boring (and short) movie.
I promise not to duck.

Lanius

• Excubitor
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2011, 11:08:53 AM »
Not really. Egan argues pretty convincingly in his books, that once it's possible to run civilizations inside supercomputers, terraforming may become viewed as barbarric. As in, why terraform, if you can get a more interesting enviroment in a few hundred cubic meters of very fast computers?

As an aside.. there is good horror potential in the singularity. Charles Stross's Scratch Monkey is a rather imperfect attempt at describing a post-singularity future that makes Lovecraftian madness look positively attractive.

Basically, AI lifeforms among themselves want to hog all computing resources. They don't care for humans, except that the first generation of AI's, that are mostly vastly more capable than humans need human souls as sustenance, lest they go mad from something like an equivalent of boredom. More capable AI's don't need humans, and treat them as cockroaches...

The only example of existential SF horror I've found.  For all it's flaws, the book is very disturbing.
There is also an accent on the expansion of the sphere of AI influence there..

Interesting reading.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2011, 12:29:33 PM »
Yes, you're right about even terraforming being passe in this scenario.

Although I think AI's hogging most available computing resources postulates a grey-goo/eat-the-universe for "computronium" scenario. And if that was truly likely, as a side-application of the Fermi Paradox, we'd possibly see evidence of it in terms of stellar or even galactic engineering somewhere.

Otherwise, I kind of see post Singularity as being post-scarcity, and granting any sort of largess to "lesser" beings as being trivially easy. Computational power included.
I promise not to duck.