Author Topic: Robert Gates for President?  (Read 4162 times)

Lee

• friend
Robert Gates for President?
« on: June 19, 2011, 04:41:26 PM »
I think he may be the only official I trust, admire, and respect these days.  I bet he could win, if he was interested.  What's not to like about him?  I'm asking - not commenting.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Robert Gates for President?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 06:22:11 PM »
Outside of foreign policy, what are his ideas on the major domestic issues?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 06:53:03 PM »
He is just one more horse in the statist's stable.  Perhaps a better administrator than most but a statist nonetheless.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 10:39:24 PM »
Oh, great. America's first code-monkey president. Is he going to make us update our citizenship on the second Tuesday of each month? Will his administration be prone to viruses?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 10:55:34 PM »
He carries out orders well?  Is that his main claim to fame?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 09:36:18 AM »
He carries out orders well?  Is that his main claim to fame?
He was the President of Texas A&M University which is nothing to sneeze at.   =D

I respect the guy, but I need more reasons to vote for him over others.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 11:09:00 AM »
Not questioning his ability, but he's lived his adult life within government and academia.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 11:10:09 AM »
Is his hair as good as Romney's?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 12:53:11 PM »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 02:14:18 PM »
He's made a few recent less than flattering comments about some of our NATO "partners" . . . that's a rather small item to put in the "plus" column when one considers that both Bush and Obama wanted him in their respective administrations.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 05:41:44 PM »
He's made a few recent less than flattering comments about some of our NATO "partners" . . . that's a rather small item to put in the "plus" column when one considers that both Bush and Obama wanted him in their respective administrations.
Foreign policy-Wise, he certainly has a good resume.  The big questions in my mind are on the domestic side.  Lots of room to impress or disappoint on domestic policy.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 07:11:20 PM »
That's why I'm asking...I don't know much about him other than both sides of the political spectrum trusted him to evaluate some complex and dangerous situations, and fix them.  I think he's less of an order taker than one would think. Every time I hear him speak, he seems to be expressing what is on his mind without much hesitation.  He knows how to get things done within the system, is a smart guy, and appears to be a realist.  I'm betting he would have a pretty high trust/liking factor among the general public...at least those who are aware of who he is.     

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 11:25:49 PM »
IIRC, Gates is a lot like Colin Powell when it comes to politics....definitely not one I'm interested in....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

longeyes

• friend
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 06:06:15 PM »
Interesting read.  I also read a few of the other articles he wrote.  Not sure I agree with his multiple and often contradictory arguments. And I have to admit that I don't know enough about the various defense systems to evaluate the information.  With the economy being the way it is, I assume that some hard choices need to be made everywhere.  I may be wrong, but I'm guessing the author was probably against the Obama timeline for withdrawal from Iraq, and likely supported the "staying the course" policy of Bush and McCain....yet bashes Gates for staying the course, against BO's wishes. 

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 07:41:25 PM »
Hahahahahahahhaha..................................NO!  :mad:
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.