Author Topic: So, any of you guys into AR-15s, or other rifles with a 1/2-28 threaded muzzle?  (Read 5727 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
I've spent most of the past eight months damn near living in a fairly high precision machine shop. And now I'm embarking on a project of my own, after a wee little bit of research...

So, who needs a muzzle brake? Going to be producing several designs, ranging from a spiral to one that will look a lot like a regular AR-15 flash hider. Along with some that are really seeming to help the "stay on target" bit - they're loud, but they're real easy to shoot.

Blog under construction

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Back.later..Dead.space.bar. :facepalm:
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
dont you guys know that blood runs in the street every time you look at a gun?
guns kill people! [popcorn]
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
Bogie is NOT having a good year. These things will help y'all shoot through schools, since you'll be able to control your loud and obnoxious bullet hose much better... You need 'em.
Blog under construction

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
If you got all the high tech stuff why not get a permit and make yourself some cans?
Got to be cheaper than buying one.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

dogmush

• friend
Depending on final design, I might try one out. I always like the "stay on target better" gadgets.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
The boss doesn't wanna do the permit yet... He had a bad experience with the IRS a few years ago, and he -may- consider the stuff with F-Troop in a coupla years.

And at this point, I have enough money to buy some raw steel... Going to do some 303 for the stainless, and something decent that will blue/black for the rest of the world.

Maybe about the time the boss decides he wants to do a license, I can do one myself. But for now, I'm just trying to scrape some bucks, and learn while doing stuff I like to do.

Oh, and I'm not going to make cans until I have the class III mfg license. It'll be easier and more cost effective that way.

Blog under construction

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
Dogmush, there's several schools of thought...

You need decent tolerances to ensure that you actually get recoil reduction (some of the stuff I've seen out there is just laughable - a bore hole you could throw a .308 through, lengthwise, and they're selling it as a .223 brake...  And I've seen the things with woefully undersized side ports.

If you are looking to stop climb, you'll need ports on top and sides. If you are worried about blowing up dust, you don't want ports on the bottom. If you're worried about overall accuracy, you don't want an assymetrical setup (the "we blow it out everywhere but the bottom" tactical folks). I'm doing a few different versions, among them your basic spiral (probably the most intrinsically accurate), a large side port model, and one with no bottom ports, but with top ports to stop muzzle climb (gonna be flogging on that one at Knob Creek...).

Blog under construction

dogmush

• friend
Sounds good.

Remember though, it has to look cool.  ;)

I run a brake on one of my AR's, and A2 flash suppressors on the rest. (Except for my accuracy AR, no muzzle device for it.)  I'm considering swapping out one (or more) of my A2 birdcages for a brake with external threads to mount a can.  Something like this. But I'm not in any real hurry, and I have spare carbines, so If you make something that looks cool and works, I'll give it a shot.

Fly320s

• friend
I've spent most of the past eight months damn near living in a fairly high precision machine shop. And now I'm embarking on a project of my own, after a wee little bit of research...

So, who needs a muzzle brake? Going to be producing several designs, ranging from a spiral to one that will look a lot like a regular AR-15 flash hider. Along with some that are really seeming to help the "stay on target" bit - they're loud, but they're real easy to shoot.

These days I am more interested in a flash hider than a muzzle brake. Brakes are loud and obnoxious to nearby shooters, but they are effective. I have a Surefire brake on one of my rifles that is very effective, but it is so loud that I get bothered by it.  It especially sucks when shooting around barricades and close to the ground.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
I'm still kind of tickled anyone shooting .223/5.56 needs a brake.

I guess I understand the idea of follow up shots and losing less sight picture etc. competitions where fractions of seconds add up and do matter etc

It's just the idea of a rifle I can fire with the butt against my crotch without pain needing a "brake" will always be sort of funny.

.308 on up is where brakes are needed, but I also understand following the money.

Do you have any methodology to measure effectiveness of different designs? I see lots of pictures with sight lines off the barrel showing rise etc. However it's always subjective. The shooter can "expect" less rise/recoil with the brake and make it a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I'm sure there's funds and time issues, but I'm thinking something like a .223 test barrel with an accelerometer fixed to the end to show how much actuall whip, recoil, and rise there is with and without a brake, and between various designs.
I promise not to duck.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
I'm still kind of tickled anyone shooting .223/5.56 needs a brake.

It's all about the muzzle rise, not the recoil. Another purpose of a muzzle brake with suppressor mounting is that it acts as a sacrificial blast baffle to save wear and tear on the can. A lot easier and cheaper to replace a $125 muzzle device rather than replace the multi hundred dollar (plus $200 tax stamp) suppressor.

These days I am more interested in a flash hider than a muzzle brake. Brakes are loud and obnoxious to nearby shooters, but they are effective. I have a Surefire brake on one of my rifles that is very effective, but it is so loud that I get bothered by it.  It especially sucks when shooting around barricades and close to the ground.

Take a gander at the BattleComp muzzle brake. It's designed to be fairly effective yet not obnoxiously loud and still work fairly well as a flash suppressor.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Fly320s

• friend

Take a gander at the BattleComp muzzle brake. It's designed to be fairly effective yet not obnoxiously loud and still work fairly well as a flash suppressor.

I have. My buddy has/had one. All brakes are loud, it is the nature of the beast.  They work well, but the muzzle blast and sound is too much for my tastes. I'll stick with my Vortex flash hider for now.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Love my Vortex too. 

I've never noticed the "ping" some complain of. Although it could be lost in the buffer tube's "sproing".
I promise not to duck.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
can you make loudeners and fire ball enhancers like the Flaming Pig?
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Fly320s

• friend
Love my Vortex too. 

I've never noticed the "ping" some complain of. Although it could be lost in the buffer tube's "sproing".

Take a video of you shooting. You'll hear it then.   =D  Especially if you mount a Go Pro on the fore rail.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
I'm not really interested in anything 1/2x28, but a 5/8x24 linear compensator for use on a 6.8 would get my wallet open.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
I may try some of those eventually. Right now, I've got my first effort in steel up at...

http://stickertramp.com/?p=75

First designs are going to be set up so I won't have to clock 'em to the barrel. Next one is going to be a spiral...
Blog under construction

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
Okay - added two more to the mix... Pix at the above link. The one in the middle, with the two ports and the four holes on top will have to be clocked to the barrel via a peel washer, shims, what have you. There's also enough thread that a competent gunsmith should be able to take a thou or so off the back to clock it without the washers. Just a quickie photo, right after I pulled the last one from the kroil that I dunk the finished parts in...
Blog under construction

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
Any ideas on what I should price the darn things at? I'm seeing everywhere from $50-160 for different items - I'm thinking $50 - $75, depending...
Blog under construction