Author Topic: US Navy - Berets in the 60s?  (Read 4093 times)

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
US Navy - Berets in the 60s?
« on: June 27, 2011, 03:01:55 PM »
I was watching an episode of Get Smart where two of them are called up to serve in the Navy. Footage is taken from a Navy ship in port in California, I suspect. There are some shots that are definitely not stock/newsreel footage.
Anyway. While watching, I noticed a few guys (assigned to a Navy ship) in uniform wearing berets. In California. In the '60s.
Example:

Another:

Who would be wearing berets in the US Navy during 1968-69?

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: US Navy - Berets in the 60s?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 03:35:09 PM »
Possibly brits or some such attached to the wing? They look like Brits to me but that doesn't mean much.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 05:36:41 PM »
My first thought was that they look British as well.
Also looks to me like some kind of aircrew.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 05:46:57 PM »
My first thought was that they look British as well.
Also looks to me like some kind of aircrew.

hints: 1 - revolver worn cross-draw in a canvas holster.  2 - it's an aircraft carrier.  3 - those sure look fike flight-helmet bags, don't they?  4 - flight suits and flight gloves might be a giveaway?  5 - the one guy in a ballcap is wearing a blue one that is neither navy blue nor black.

I'd say you guys nailed this one.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 06:44:33 PM »
If they were American Navy, they'd all be in different uniforms. One would be in blues, the other in whites, the next in khakis, and then a construction worker and an Indian chief.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 07:12:34 PM »
It was a TV show, they could do whatever they wanted.  =D IMO it is most likely all actors, every sailor, even the snipes waaayyyyy down in the hole know you do not ever wear a cover (hat) on the flight deck.

bob

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 07:15:04 PM »
It was a TV show, they could do whatever they wanted.  =D IMO it is most likely all actors, every sailor, even the snipes waaayyyyy down in the hole know you do not ever wear a cover (hat) on the flight deck.

bob

You do when are you in port.

Edit: Oh, and yeah, definitely looks like Brit aviators.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 07:44:58 PM »
It was a TV show, they could do whatever they wanted.  =D IMO it is most likely all actors, every sailor, even the snipes waaayyyyy down in the hole know you do not ever wear a cover (hat) on the flight deck.
They can do whatever they want, but they have to pay for it, too.  :P
I figure that, aside from the speaking personnel, the extras were Navy folk. Some live scenes did take place on the carrier, and the producers were way too cheap to do that much work for one episode.  :laugh:

Interesting - British aviators working on an American ship. I thought they might be PJs or something.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 08:14:42 PM »
We swap sailors with other countries all the time. My last Chief Engineer was an American that came off a Brit ship and had aquired the brit cockiness to go with it. He was broad in the shoulders and chest and liked to walk down the skinny passageway all square and centered so you were forced to make way for him. So one time he tried it on me and we walked square toward each other until the very last second possible where I made a quick twist of my upperbody and skimmed my way past him quite nicely. We both took a couple more steps and caught each other looking back.  :lol:

Yea, I was a wild one.  ;/

Last I heard he was a HS principal somewhere in Kali.
Avoid cliches like the plague!