Author Topic: Dull Tritium Sights  (Read 8166 times)

sanglant

• friend
Re: Dull Tritium Sights
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2011, 01:55:20 PM »
if you can remove the old vials, and can measure them. there are places you can buy such things. if you want them i'll hunt out the links. ;) but it might be bigger lots then you want if no ones doing a group buy type thing right now. :facepalm:

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2011, 01:57:44 PM »
Sellers on Candlepowerforums seem to have a steady supply, and in several interesting colors.

You'd be the only guy on the range with pink and aqua night sights, that's for sure.  =D
I promise not to duck.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2011, 03:18:37 PM »
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2011, 10:46:14 AM »
if you can remove the old vials, and can measure them. there are places you can buy such things. if you want them i'll hunt out the links. ;) but it might be bigger lots then you want if no ones doing a group buy type thing right now. :facepalm:

Problem is, I can't for the life of me figure out how I would remove the old vials myself. On these Novaks, it looks like they're epoxied in or something. The closest thing that comes up searching Google with, "remove old tritium sight vials" is a link back to your reply to me. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2011, 11:06:50 AM »
a few ideas here, but i remember reading better. =|

edit: 1  a post in this thread  has a link to a place to send them off. 2 i still can't find the list of all methods i remember reading, wonder which forum it was on. :facepalm:

edit: 2 ended up with one link doubled. =|
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 11:35:19 AM by sanglant »

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2011, 04:55:31 AM »
I can't remember the night sight posts they had on the m16's in Basic, but all we had to do to get them to "glow" again, was shine flashlights on them for awhile.

I coulda sworn the Drill Sergeants said they were tritium....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2011, 07:07:33 AM »
I can't remember the night sight posts they had on the m16's in Basic, but all we had to do to get them to "glow" again, was shine flashlights on them for awhile.

I coulda sworn the Drill Sergeants said they were tritium....

Negative, if the recharge with light, they are painted with simply long life phosphor photo-luminescent paint or other material.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2011, 05:29:57 PM »
and for anyone using the recharge trick, a full spectrum led flash light is much better then a normal flash light for it. even works better then the uv flashlights.hmm, that can't be healthy oh well, least it's bright. [tinfoil]

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2011, 05:48:12 PM »
The front sight on my 590 was never that bright to begin with.

Buuut, it was only about $40, so I never complained.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2011, 05:53:08 PM »
Hmmm. My experience is the opposite. My led UV flashlight charges GITD materials way better than my "white" led flashlights. If a white light is working better, I suspect might just be more powerful.

I've played with GITD materials and single wavelength light sources, and generally only blue and higher wavelengths get them going. I've tried 532nm green lasers and they barely get it going.

Writing on an entire wall or panel of GITD paint with a 405NM violet laser is the most fun.
I promise not to duck.