Author Topic: Dull Tritium Sights  (Read 8167 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Dull Tritium Sights
« on: June 28, 2011, 08:37:25 PM »
For those of you who have had a gun with Tritium sights long enough for half-life effect to take hold, what have you done with your sights? The sights on my TRP are fairly done at this point. I'm actually not sure how much use I've ever gotten out them, since conditions where I would not have enough daylight but wouldn't go to a light seem rather narrow. At this point I'm thinking of just putting white, or possibly some rear/front color combo paint where the Tritium dots are.

I might have been more inclined to get new Tritium inserts if someone within reasonable driving distant did that. The sights are Novaks and I can't for the life of me see how I could make this a do-it-yourself job without busting the Tritium vials.

Just wondering what others have done.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Azrael256

• friend
Re: Dull Tritium Sights
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 08:47:04 PM »
Neutron capture should work to brighten them up.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 08:58:55 PM »
Both of my M&P's have Trijicon's on them.  I haven't had them long enough for the half life to run out but supposedly trijicon will replace the vials for a nominal fee.  Nominal has not been defined to me.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
Neutron capture should work to brighten them up.

Original point deleted as it was incorrect (thanks azrael).  Though if you hit the gun hard enough, you could get some pretty good Cherenkov light off the sights themselves. (and kill oneself)

« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 09:43:07 PM by birdman »

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 09:35:39 PM »
 ;/

Helium-3 readily reacts to neutron bombardment by expelling a proton after neutron capture... Yielding tritium.

And sufficient neutron activation of the metals in the gun will make Ben glow in the dark, too, which will probably preclude the need for a firearm... And probably children, too.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 09:40:43 PM »
;/

Helium-3 readily reacts to neutron bombardment by expelling a proton after neutron capture... Yielding tritium.

And sufficient neutron activation of the metals in the gun will make Ben glow in the dark, too, which will probably preclude the need for a firearm... And probably children, too.

Ah, I had forgotten about the anomalously high 3He(n,p)3H cross section! Damn, how did I forget about  that!  Well, point to you, I am ashamed, and will go tear up my nuke degrees in penance.  See this is what happens, you spend a few years on transuranics and your low atomic mass knowledge just slips away.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 09:44:31 PM »

But I'd be a big hit every Halloween.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 09:53:04 PM »
See this is what happens, you spend a few years on transuranics and your low atomic mass knowledge just slips away.

Seriously, we're all disappointed.  Zis kind of failure vill not be tolerated!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 10:06:25 PM by Azrael256 »

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 10:26:32 PM »
Pfft. Go old school. Radium/phosphor paint.

Just remember to lick the teeny brush to get a nice fine point on it occasionally.  =D
I promise not to duck.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 10:28:15 PM »
Pfft. Go old school. Radium/phosphor paint.

Just remember to lick the teeny brush to get a nice fine point on it occasionally.  =D

Wasn't that place in Illinois?

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 10:33:16 PM »
Ok, Buddy Who Had This Done(tm) says $20 per vial a year or so ago.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 06:03:55 AM »
Post deleted because it's too dangerous a suggestion.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 06:13:46 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 06:53:55 AM »

Not bad.  Do you know what kind of pressure it's under?  What kind of fluence?

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 08:41:37 AM »
Post deleted because it's too dangerous a suggestion.

...and that stopped you why?......  =|
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 09:14:52 AM »

That's not bad at all. If done on a semi-auto, do you know if he just sent the slide in (assuming it wasn't done locally)?

birdman

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 12:23:00 PM »
Hmm...assuming atmospheric pressure inside the little glass tube (atom density ~2.7e19 /cm3) and the ~5300 barn (5.3e-25 cm2) cross section, thats a interaction factor of ~1.4e-5 per cm.  For a 1mm square vial, to convert the helium to tritium, you would need a fluence of 1.9e24/cm2 (to convert 100% of the 2.7e17 atoms in each 1x1x10mm vial)...that a bit high (and by "a bit" I mean 60 years in HIFR).  Unless the capsules only need a few % of the helium-3 converted back to tritium, I don't see any way you could recharge them in a reasonable timeframe with neutron irradiation with any sort of conventional source.  Are my figures just way off?  Even mounting them end-on to the flux, and a need for only 1% to be back converted, you would still need a flux of ~2e21...which is nearly a month in a high flux system like HIFR, and a year or more in a conventional system.   Since He3 doesn't bond to anything, I cant see anyway of making this work other than aggregating the He3 from tons of them, liquifying it, and irradiating that (and separating out the tritium produced).

Am I missing something?  I dont' see how this would work.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2011, 12:34:10 PM »
AFAIK, the tritium is actually not gaseous in those capsules. I think it's often bound up into a hydrogenated (Tritiumated?) grease or oil.

I recall this because of reading up on the "Atomic Boy Scout". He wanted Tritium for one of his reactions, and was able to capture or retain it when he broke the sights open. He even got a beta-burn on one hand where some stayed on his skin. If it was pure gas, it would have just dissipated.

I promise not to duck.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2011, 03:58:20 PM »

handsome lad
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2011, 04:14:17 PM »
Both of his sights were dovetailed, so he knocked them out and sent them in.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2011, 05:02:01 PM »
http://premium1.uploadit.org/docZox//nukescout.jpg

handsome lad

I'm willing to guess David Hahn's appearance in his last booking photos has more to do with crystal meth than it does radiation.

Just a hunch.
I promise not to duck.

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2011, 10:34:18 PM »
Could you run the sights through the TSA scanners and recharge them?  :laugh:

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2011, 10:49:58 PM »
This is why my defense guns run fiber optics rather than tritium sights.

If I had to do this every six years, for half a dozen or more guns, it would drive me nuts.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2011, 05:43:43 AM »
Because it involved smoke detectors and EXIT signs, seeker_two.  It was a facetious post, but I thought someone out there in the www might take me seriously.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2011, 07:57:33 AM »
Because it involved smoke detectors and EXIT signs, seeker_two.  It was a facetious post, but I thought someone out there in the www might take me seriously.

Only if Step One involved someone holding your beer......  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2011, 12:13:13 PM »
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 12:18:58 PM by 230RN »