Author Topic: 2-cycle oil  (Read 4434 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
2-cycle oil
« on: June 30, 2011, 06:56:34 PM »
I took the afternoon off to goto Cabela's today to buy a "Rough Rider" .22 single action revolver they have on sale for $149.  Got there and they told me "we don't sell those in MN but we forgot to put that in the ad this time. Sorry!" 

So I browsed thru the store, looked at the "mountain", and I bought some ammo. 

I was looking at the various marine and 2-cycle oils, and I noticed their Cabela's brand synthetic blend outboard motor oil was rated both TC-W3 and JASO-FD.  And it's only $17.99 a gallon.  I was going to buy a quart of it to try it out, but the quarts were $8.99 so I passed on that.  Isn't JASO-FD the current highest rating for air-cooled 2-cycle engines? (and it's low ash)  How is that compatible with a TC-W3 rating which is ashless oil for water-cooled 2-cycles?  It had dilution instructions for up to 100:1, so I know it's premix oil.

I have half a quart bottle of Castrol 2-cycle and almost a full bottle of Quaker State (one is dyed green and the other red, it's like Christmas) and a few little bottles of Stihl and Echo brand oils already, so I don't really to buy any more for a decade or so...
"It's good, though..."

grislyatoms

• friends
Re: 2-cycle oil
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 07:07:34 PM »
I ran fossil Valvoline through my 9.9 Evinrude, season after season, with no complaints either from engine or owner  =D .
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 07:10:29 PM »
Don't use anything but a name brand (Stihl, Husky, etc...) CHAINSAW 2-cycle oil in your new Husky or any other chainsaw!
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 07:45:51 PM »
I'm currently using the Husky oil that came with the saw; when that runs out I will switch to the Echo and Stihl oil that I already have in little bottles. 

I've been using the Castrol and Quaker State air-cooled oil in the string trimmer and occasionally in chainsaws for 20-something years; but not very often in the chainsaws (just when I have a very small job to do and don't have any gas mixed.)  I don't run the string trimmer wide open.  Usually it has a metal blade on it that's perhaps a little too big, so it's working pretty hard but doesn't rev really high like a chainsaw can.

What I'm looking for is a TC JASO-FD synthetic oil that I can buy in quarts instead of tiny bottles.  Quicksilver PWC synthetic oil looks like a good candidate.  Conoco "76 Airkool" will definitely work if I can ever find it for sale.
"It's good, though..."

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 07:59:36 PM »
Don't use anything but a name brand (Stihl, Husky, etc...) CHAINSAW 2-cycle oil in your new Husky or any other chainsaw!

For my own education, why is that?  Is it a warranty thing?

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 08:11:59 PM »

I have a feeling it's a "how not to make your saw die a horrid death" thing.
Look, tiny text!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 08:57:27 PM »
i buy the lil bottles by the case.  the size that will make 2 galls of 32 to one.  never have to mismeasure.  i also dump the oil in when i leave the house to buy gas.  EVERYTIME. i only had to burn up one saw to learn my lesson :facepalm:
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 11:46:20 PM »

Well, yes - it's a warranty thing too.

Consider that modern chainsaws run 12-13K rpm.  There's nothing between metal and metal but that 1/50 of oil in the gas-air mixture.  Chainsaw mix oils are made with a special "slick" molecule that provides just enough lubrication.

I still have a bunch of the 5-gal mix bottles.  Back in the day, I would go through 5 gallons of gas per week.

I always squirt a little gas in the oil bottle and rinse it out, too.  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 08:59:45 AM »
much of my stuff is able to run 50 - 1  or evemn higher.  i run everything at 32 to one.   ythe ll bit of smoke and loss of power is worth it for the long life
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I