Author Topic: NYT article on China's debt issues  (Read 2137 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
NYT article on China's debt issues
« on: July 08, 2011, 01:17:14 AM »
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2011/07/07/business/global/building-binge-by-chinas-cities-threatens-countrys-economic-boom.xml

Gave the mobile link, I'm not sure what the regular is. But it's perfectly readable as is.

Basically, China is in even worse shape than I'd thought. When they crash it is not going to be pretty, for anyone.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: NYT article on China's debt issues
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 03:33:50 AM »
Link is not working for me.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 07:34:27 AM »
If/When the PRC crashes do they have the option of calling the U.S.'s debt that they own due, or is there a restriction to prevent that? (Such as only redeemable after X years.)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 10:02:17 AM »
If/When the PRC crashes do they have the option of calling the U.S.'s debt that they own due, or is there a restriction to prevent that? (Such as only redeemable after X years.)

Depends on the debt instrument.

T-bills/bonds usually have a maturity date at which time they are redeemed. It is not like a mortgage, usually.

What they can do is sell those bills/bonds on the bond market.  What usually happens to the price of something if a glut of supply gets dropped on the market?  SO, yeah, the vlaue of al lthe t-bonds will plummet for everyone who holds them.  Some proportion will surely sell ASAP.  But, many will hold on to them as the most secure investment vehicle on Earth.

One result will be for many pension funds to become under-funded, as many are heavily invested in t-bonds.  There will be other consequences.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 10:55:17 AM »
Link is not working for me.

stay safe.

Just checked it, works for me. Anyone else having issues?

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 10:57:47 AM »
Just checked it, works for me. Anyone else having issues?

Yeah. me.  It only brings up a small error box and one of those much hated windows computer sounds that signals something went south ..... :facepalm: :mad:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 11:00:43 AM »
Are you using explorer? When I try it on IE there's an issue.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 11:01:53 AM »
Yeah...I have no alternate now though.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 11:58:02 AM »
Yeah...I have no alternate now though.

You just may have an alternative:
http://portableapps.com/
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 02:07:50 PM »
I've run across several articles like this over the last few months.  Each of them has had a fair amount of supporting data. I think China has a serious problem.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 03:01:40 PM »
I've run across several articles like this over the last few months.  Each of them has had a fair amount of supporting data. I think China has a serious problem.

No surprise. China has the double whammy of having aspects of both unfettered robber-baron capitalism, and communist command economy to fudge the books and sweep unpleasant realities under the rug, and engage in vast amounts of what can only be described as "economic theater". Such as those huge empty ghost cities full of sky scrapers and apartments. And the possibilities they'll never see a return on the potentially flawed Three Gorges Dam. 

The idea that in the long run China will "own us" is as laughable as the worries Japan would back in the 80's and 90's.

Not to mention the resource and population problems they have. Severe infrastructure problems in the rural periphery. Looming ecological disasters equivalent to the American Dust bowl, and sex-selective abortion and infanticide creating a male female disparity that may be as big as 40 million "excess" males, and growing, by some estimates...

China is like a race car where the wheels are about to fall off, the engine explode, and the gas tank is almost on empty, but the driver is responding by flooring it, in hopes of driving faster than the car will fall apart.
I promise not to duck.