Author Topic: Dead Tree Encyclopedias...worth the investment?  (Read 6724 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Dead Tree Encyclopedias...worth the investment?
« on: April 17, 2006, 04:39:47 AM »
I have fond memories of spending (wasting?) rainy afternoons reading encyclopedias while growing up.  I'd start with a subject that interested me, then start following the "See also..." links to other subjects (kinda like my surfing habits now).  Yesterday, I got the idea in my head that I should purchase a set for my daughter.  However, they're quite expensive and I'm not sure the investment is worthwhile in this day of the Internet.  

I'm not even sure what set to get.  I grew up using World Book at home, but Encyclopaedia Britanica was what I used in school (public school and college).  

Opinions?

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 04:57:09 AM »
You know, I really shudder when I see phrases like "I'm not sure the investment is worthwhile in this day of the Internet," but that's just me.

The information may be more current on the internet (the downside is that it can be very difficult to weed through all of the crap on the net, too), but nothing is ever going to be able to replace the printed word in a weighty tome. Books don't quit working when the power goes out, they don't get viri, they don't suffer disk crashes...

You've got some years before you really need to make this decision.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 04:58:02 AM »
The DVDs are much cheaper but don't look near as cool in a bookshelf.

Greg

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 06:27:10 AM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
You know, I really shudder when I see phrases like "I'm not sure the investment is worthwhile in this day of the Internet," but that's just me.
I was referring more to the fact that many traditional encyclopedias are available online or in DVD format.

The information may be more current on the internet (the downside is that it can be very difficult to weed through all of the crap on the net, too), but nothing is ever going to be able to replace the printed word in a weighty tome. Books don't quit working when the power goes out, they don't get viri, they don't suffer disk crashes...
No arguments there.  I prefer books myself.  However, I also have to be pragmatic.  Do I spend upwards of $1500 on a set of books that will be outdated in a few years (might get a decade of use out of them before they're a complete joke) or would that $1500 be better spent on the classics and an electronic version of EB...

You've got some years before you really need to make this decision.
Most definately.  I'm just exploring the possibility at the moment.

The DVDs are much cheaper but don't look near as cool in a bookshelf
Yup.  IMO, a full set of encyclopedias is the core of a family library.  

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 06:52:08 AM »
"I was referring more to the fact that many traditional encyclopedias are available online or in DVD format."

And it still makes me shudder from  the point of view that many people are now predicting the demise of books because of computers and the internet.

"Do I spend upwards of $1500 on a set of books that will be outdated in a few years (might get a decade of use out of them before they're a complete joke)..."

Define "complete joke."

If you look at it realistically, probably 75% of the information contained in an encyclopedia will never get stale.

The chances of needing to rewrite the section on the Civil War because they got the winner wrong, or it was undetermined when you bought the books, is remote.

Much of the scientific information will remain relevant, and changes in those fields are generally covered in the yearly updates that are often part of the purchase.

"Yup.  IMO, a full set of encyclopedias is the core of a family library."

I thought those were your Little Lulu comic books...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 07:41:38 AM »
I'm with Mike on this one. Even the stuff that becomes dated can be useful. I have a set that my parents bought for me back in the 60's, and although some information is out of date, the historical context isn't.

For example, look at countries in the Middle East and Eastern Europe. What are they called now? What were they a few years ago? Information that is only a brief footnote in a modern edition, may be several detailed articles in an older edition. Without printed records this history might be lost for the sake of fitting everything on a 10DVD box set.

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 08:36:55 AM »
Get the DVD set.  Kids spend all their time on the computer anyway (although, who are most of us to talk?) so they might as well have some educational options they can explore while they're there.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that a library card might be the wisest investment until you figure out what type of girl your daughter will be--I would have used an encyclopedia to build a fort, but if someone had ever bought me the complete Hardy Boys at the right age I wouldn't have left the house for weeks.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 08:45:57 AM »
Go to tag sales, you'll find all kinds of encyclopedias people are practically begging you to take cause, pretty much, nobody wants them. They are virtually worthless, in a monetary sense, almost immediately after being purchased new. Do I think you should get some? Yup, just don't be getting ripped off in the process. My favorite reference book is my 1953 Websters UN- abridged. Got it for $3 at a tag sale. Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 08:48:12 AM »
Speaking as the son of a printer, I can say that print isn't going out of style. smiley
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 08:52:31 AM »
Correction: 1952 Websters Unabridged, it's still worth every bit of that $3  Tongue

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2006, 08:54:35 AM »
Go to tag sales
What's that?

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2006, 08:59:15 AM »
"What's that?"

That's a sale where they put tags on the item with a price written on the tag. Pretty straightforward concept. Smiley

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2006, 09:01:22 AM »
"Speaking as the son of a printer, I can say that print isn't going out of style."

Funny, printers 40 years ago were predicting the same thing about hot lead. Computer composition would NEVER surplant a time proven, 500-year-old technology that had reached the peak of perfection...

In my life (I'll be 41 soon) I've seen ONE newspaper printed with hot lead, and that was a slapass little weekly outside of Bangor, Maine.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2006, 09:03:28 AM »
"What's that?"

That's a sale where they put tags on the item with a price written on the tag. Pretty straightforward concept. Smiley
I get the concept, but I've never heard the term before.  Is it a flea market?  That's what it sounds like.  Unfortunately, none of the flea markets I've been to in the past decade had full encylopedia sets.  Hell, most of the people there couldn't read them. Smiley

Chris

Fudgieghost

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2006, 09:10:37 AM »
Tag Sale=Garage Sale

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2006, 09:14:04 AM »
"I get the concept..."

Uh... yeah, right, whatever. Smiley

It's a regional term, I think. Sort of like white elephant sale, rummage sale, jumble sale, yard/garage sale...

Although, the way I was brought up, a rummage sale was usually a church fundraiser.

I never heard the term jumble sale until I moved to this area, and only then from someone who wasn't from here, either.

None of the above is a flea market, at least not in the sense I'm familiar with. A flea market is usually a lot of people getting together as a group to sell their junk as individuals.

Your community yard sale could, in some ways, be seen as a tag sale.

But, if everyone in your community hauled their sale goods to a central location away from their homes, then it would be a community flea market.

If, however, everyone in your community donated all of your stuff to a local church, and the church held the sale, then it would be a rummage sale.

Justin

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2006, 09:32:47 AM »
...nothing is ever going to be able to replace the printed word in a weighty tome.
Why do I get the distinct impression that at some point Mike has had need to righteously bludgeon someone with an encyclopedia?
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2006, 09:49:39 AM »
"Why do I get the distinct impression that at some point Mike has had need to righteously bludgeon with an encyclopedia?"

VERY funny that you should mention that!

I was talking with mtnbkr via phone earlier, and made the point that NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING, swats an errant ass like the W-Z volume of the Encyclopedia Britannica! Cheesy

280plus

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2006, 10:54:36 AM »
So THAT'S what that volume is for! I'd often wondered...

Yes, tag sale = garage sale = yard sale. To me a flea market is where a group of people set up individual tables / booths etc. Flea markets can be temporary weekend things or permanent places set up with tiny "shops". Probably estate sales would be the best places to find encyclopedias. In around here they are advertised as such and indicate the selling off of some dead person's wordly possesions. If you want to see some serious vultures swoop, advertise your tag sale as an estate sale. The word estate really brings them out of the woodwork.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2006, 12:23:42 PM »
"Speaking as the son of a printer, I can say that print isn't going out of style."

Funny, printers 40 years ago were predicting the same thing about hot lead. Computer composition would NEVER surplant a time proven, 500-year-old technology that had reached the peak of perfection...

In my life (I'll be 41 soon) I've seen ONE newspaper printed with hot lead, and that was a slapass little weekly outside of Bangor, Maine.
My point was that books and paper will not soon be replaced by computers.
I'm...not sure what your point is.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2006, 01:08:23 PM »
My point is that no technology, no matter how ubiquitious, how entrenched, and how seeming state of the art, is permanent. I'm not surprised in the least that you didn't get it.

We can sit here and say this isn't going away, that isn't going away, all day until we're blue in the face. It's easy to look at the past and see a glorious, uninterrupted future. I'm sure that's how all of the nation's skilled linotype operators felt in the 1950s. America was booming, every city of any note had 2 or more newspapers, and circulation was skyrocketing. Now the work of 100 typesetters can be done in 1/10th the time by 2 men on a Mac or IBM driven system.

In 1900 there were nearly 2,000 buggy, wagon and carriage makers in the United States, all of whom were doing a thriving business. Less than a generation later there were fewer than 100, and a generation after that there were virtually none.

In the first decade of the 20th century newspapers and magazines were full of stories about how the motorcar would never replace the horse and wagon.

Who knows, printing on paper may well stay with us for another 1,000 years. Or it may be pushed into a speciality nich by something that could come out next week.

I'm sure 20 years ago Eastman Kodak never though the first digital technologies would amount to a hill of crap, either. That's why they were so late into the industry, and why they've paid such an enormously heavy price for their shortsightedness.

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2006, 02:00:48 PM »
If you want a set of encyclopedias to fill some shelf space or for the cool factor of having some big tomes full of knowledge then by all means get some. Now, if you are looking soley for a source of information then you are better off using an electronic version. I have an old set of encyclopedias from the 1960s and I love the things, but even in junior high before the internet was available I still went to the library for the most current information as academic source material.

I guess what I am saying is that even without the internet a set of household encyclopedias wasnt the best place for information anyways, the alternatives have simply become more numerous and available in recent years.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2006, 02:21:55 PM »
I recall the advent of the office computer.  One step up from the teletype machine.  It was going to make a paperless society.  Bwwaaaahahahahahahahaaha.

When I retired last month I had more paperwork than pre 'puter.  It's just that it was paperwork of a different kind and more of it.  Because of the computer, you had more information available, so people were asking more questions and requiring more confirmation.  Besides more paperwork, just about every service job became more detailed as well.

Cars may have spelled the doom of buggy whips as a major industry, but 'puters did not do away with paper.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

zahc

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2006, 02:50:14 PM »
You can hide guns in paper encyclopedias.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2006, 03:21:07 PM »
"Cars may have spelled the doom of buggy whips as a major industry, but 'puters did not do away with paper."

Yet.

Companies are already moving towards that goal internally.

Take, for example, Navy Federal Credit Union. When I started there in 1995 paper files were maintained on nearly 1.1 million members who were stationed around the world.

The facility to house those records took up nearly 15,000 square feet in the Headquarters building. They were stored on what were essentially huge rolodex machines, IIRC nearly 100 of them. File retrieval was slow, and all through the day you'd hear "WE ARE IN URGENT NEED OF MEMBER RECORD 1234567890 IN THE MEMBERSERVICE CENTER. PLEASE SEARCH YOUR WORK AREAS AND IF YOU HAVE MEMBER RECORD 1234567890, CALL x82992."

NFCU made an enormous capital investment to have between 300-400 million member paper records digitally encoded. Now member records are available 24x7 to any NFCU employee (within reason, of course) around the globe, and the rolodex machines were dismantled and removed from the building.

Internally is where the "paperless office" will make its greatest headway, but externally paper records are also being significantly curtailed. Some people will always insist on a paper confirmation, but others, myself included, have opted for paperless statements and other paperless means of transacting business.

Over the past decade Navy Federal's paper consumption has dropped nearly 25% even as it has added well over 1 million new members to the rolls.