Author Topic: 2013, repeal of Obamacare: How much saved?  (Read 1204 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
2013, repeal of Obamacare: How much saved?
« on: July 11, 2011, 02:56:58 PM »
Let's say we either have SCOTUS strike down Obamacare, or get saved by a last-second Congress and new POTUS in January 2013.

And Boehner only gets the $2 trillion / 10 year debt reduction plan in place, rather than a greater desired amount.

How much savings would we obtain from the axing of Obamacare?

CBO says between 2 and 3 trillion, depending on the number-shuffle game.
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/cbo-obamacare-would-cost-over-2-trillion

CATO suggests over 6 trillion.
http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/obamacares-cost-could-top-6-trillion/

Frankly, I like the sound of $2 trillion now and $6 trillion in 18 months.

I like $4 trillion now and $6 trillion in 18 months better... but I'll be happy as long as we get the $6 trillion in 18 months. =D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: 2013, repeal of Obamacare: How much saved?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 03:04:51 PM »
Still not enough.

Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security all need to be restructed. Obamacare just got us to the breaking point faster, but even with its repeal, the crash is coming.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 04:08:32 PM »
Still not enough.

Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security all need to be restructed scuttled, burned to the ground, and thier ashes urinated upon. Obamacare just got us to the breaking point faster, but even with its repeal, the crash is coming.

FTFY!!!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 05:42:46 PM »
A trillion here and a trillion there, and pretty soon you're talking about real money  :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 12:22:47 AM »
It doesn't matter what we might get in 18 months.  It only matters what we can get now.  The poltical landscape is likely to be so different 18 months from now that we really can't predict what will happen.  So we should be pressing for what we can get now, and then later press for what we can get at that time.

Personally, I were Boehner/Cantor/et al I'd press for something more like $500bil in cuts to THIS YEAR'S budget (and not the phantom cuts from before but for real cuts) in exchange for a $500bil increase in the debt ceiling.  Then, in 6 months when that extra debt is used up, do the same thing again.  And again.  And again.  By that 4th time there won't be a need to increase the debt ceiling as the budget will have been balanced.  If we get a political climate favorable to larget cuts then we do that when it's possible.  If we get a political climate that won't tolerate any more cuts, then we just hold the line on no debt increases.  Eventually revenues will produce a surplus (probably within 2 years) which can be used to start to actually, you know, pay off the debts.
Formerly sumpnz