Author Topic: Touched by His Noodly Appendage  (Read 2813 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Touched by His Noodly Appendage
« on: July 13, 2011, 05:25:32 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14135523

Pastafarian gets his drivers license photo taken with strainer on his head as "religious headgear."

lulz.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Touched by His Noodly Appendage
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 10:45:13 PM »
 :laugh:
I promise not to duck.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 10:50:39 PM »
Am I the only person in the world who is both non-religious and finds pastafarianism unfunny?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 10:55:04 PM »
Am I the only person in the world who is both non-religious and finds pastafarianism unfunny?

Yes.....I think you are.....why can't you be more gluten-positive?.....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 10:55:39 PM »

Yes.  And now you shall be shunned.

Do you feel the shunning?

=D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 10:59:48 PM »

I would admit to finding it unfunny, but if us religious folk don't laugh at it, then we don't get to sit at the cool kids' table.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 11:51:26 PM »
Silly as it is, it's a legitimate comment on religion.  That's part of the reason it persists. 
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 08:52:13 AM »

No.

Silly as it is, it's a legitimate comment on religion.  That's part of the reason it persists.

No, it's not.  It's a childish attempt to belittle other peoples sincerly held beliefs. It persists because self-ritghteous liberal arts majors think it's funny.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 09:12:24 AM »
Pointing out that unfalsifiable articles of faith can lead to absurd beliefs is the province of scientists, not liberal arts majors.  There is no strictly logical basis for rejecting pastafarians but embracing other religions
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 09:36:00 AM »
Pointing out that unfalsifiable articles of faith can lead to absurd beliefs is the province of scientists, not liberal arts majors.  There is no strictly logical basis for rejecting pastafarians but embracing other religions

That you cannot grasp the logic does not mean the logic does not exist.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 10:02:54 AM »
Pointing out that unfalsifiable articles of faith can lead to absurd beliefs is the province of scientists, not liberal arts majors.

Please explain.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 10:10:06 AM »

Maybe. (not agreeing, just not arguing the point)

But Pastafarians are overwhelmingly liberal arts majors, not scientists.

The strictly logical reason to dismiss it, is EVERY "pastafarian" I've met has thought it was a joke on religious people, and not a faith.  *expletive deleted*bag with the strainer on his head included.*

*Unless he goes through life with a strainer on his head at all times.  Which I highly doubt.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 11:11:03 AM »
I'd suspect the FSM and Pastafarians only have as much power to insult/ridicule established religions as others are willing to give them.
I promise not to duck.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 11:18:30 AM »
I'd suspect the FSM and Pastafarians only have as much power to insult/ridicule established religions as others are willing to give them.

QFT.

This thread isn't really politics.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”