Author Topic: Popcorn popper  (Read 791 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Popcorn popper
« on: July 15, 2011, 10:28:52 PM »
SWMBO got me the Whirley-Pop Stovetop Popcorn Popper for my birthday.  So far I have made 2 batches in it and I love it. You have to wash the popper the dry it and finally season it before you first use it.  You have to preheat the stove to a medium heat.  You then put the oil (I use extra virgin olive oil)  and the popcorn in and close the lid.  Next you set it on the stove and start turning the crank handle and after 3 minutes you should have lots of popcorn.  I then toss some sea salt and a little black pepper on and enjoy.   =)
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Chuck Dye

• friend
Re: Popcorn popper
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 10:36:02 PM »
Next time you make chili with cheap enough beef that it needs the fat skimmed, save the fat for popping corn.  Temperature control is important, try for that happy medium that is hot enough to pop the corn but below the smoke point of the fat.  It is worth the effort (unless you make truly wimpy chili.)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 01:09:59 AM by Chuck Dye »
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 11:10:46 PM »
This popper is also popular in the home-roasting coffee community.  I have used one to roast coffee.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 11:59:55 PM »
That's an odd-looking microwave.  ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 09:52:09 AM »
My wife bought one of those not too long ago.  It pops the popcorn just fine but traps the steam making the popcorn soggy.  It now resides on a garage shelf.....You just can't beat a cast iron skillet for poping corn......chris3

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 12:51:09 PM »
Next time you make enough bacon chili with cheap enough beef that it needs the fat skimmed, save the fat for popping corn.  Temperature control is important, try for that happy medium that is hot enough to pop the corn but below the smoke point of the fat.  It is worth the effort

Fixed it for you
I promise not to duck.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 06:31:31 PM »
You could mail it to me - Jen got mine...

I love the things... steam vented just fine on mine - maybe you're not cooking hot enough.

I used coconut oil, like the pre-cholesterol movie theaters used... With real butter.

Sigh....

Blog under construction