Author Topic: Some photos from my trip  (Read 6198 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Some photos from my trip
« on: July 19, 2011, 12:36:06 PM »
In all the times I've been out west, I've never stopped to take a really good photo. They've all been snapshots.

This time was no different, but I did put some online. If you've never seen Utah, these will give you an idea of what you're missing. (Or, as my wife says, "it just looks like a bunch of rocks.")

I took a lot of photos from the highway in the Rockies in Colorado, but it was overcast and raining, and they look lousy.

Photos are here.

PTK

• friends
Re: Some photos from my trip
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 02:23:02 PM »
Just a bunch of rocks? :O

She can stay out of my favorite vacation spots, then! :lol:

Seriously though, thanks for sharing the pictures. I haven't been to Utah in probably five years. I need to make time to get out there. :)

EDIT: Niiiiice Mustang. For some reason I forgot it was you who mentioned owning one previously. I knew someone (or multiple people?) owned one on here. That made my day to see it parked on the side of the road in a couple photos.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 02:35:43 PM »
I always thought you had a beard.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 02:49:06 PM »
*Envious sigh*

So, what mods to the Pony besides the obvious wheels/tires?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 03:34:24 PM »
Thanks for sharing the pics Monkeyleg! All very nice. The lake image struck me as a cool place to hang out. So what did the full route end up being?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 05:04:52 PM »
Charby, the beard went a couple of years ago. My wife was right in that it did make me look less old (as opposed to "younger").

Brad, it's been lowered 1 1/2" with a Ford racing spring kit. It also has a C&L cold air intake and JLT tuner. The other stuff (rear spoiler, louvers, etc) are obviously cosmetic. I'd love to put a blower on it, but the ones I want are $6K.

Ben, the full route was AL to TN, IL, MO, KS, CO, UT, NV, AZ, NM, TX, OK, AR, MS and then back to AL. Just a bit shy of 4,000 miles. And the only states where I saw any rain were UT and CO, the ones where I really wanted sun.

She can stay out of my favorite vacation spots, then!

As long as those spots don't include New Orleans, New York City, Boston or Martha's Vineyard, you're safe. ;) Those are her favorite places.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 06:10:52 PM »
Great pics.  Great trip.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL!!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 07:31:50 PM »
Fantastic pics there, Monkeyleg!! 

Do we live in a beautiful country -- or what?? ?? =D =D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 07:39:27 PM »
Pretty rocks.  ;)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 12:36:06 AM »
Nice stuff, thanks for sharing.
Makes me even more eager for my trip to CO. next week.
We're leving the Mustang at home and taking the Road King though. =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 01:54:16 AM »
We're leving the Mustang at home and taking the Road King though.

I would have much rather taken my Springer than the Mustang. Consider yourself lucky.

Something I forgot to mention in my posts about this trip is that nearly the entire trip was paid for with rewards points from my business debit card and business American Express card. I had to shell out about $600 for gas and maybe $150-$200 for food, but the rest of the gas and all of the motels--Comfort Inns, La Quinta, Radisson, etc--were paid by rewards points.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 10:44:48 AM »
Something I forgot to mention in my posts about this trip is that nearly the entire trip was paid for with rewards points from my business debit card and business American Express card. I had to shell out about $600 for gas and maybe $150-$200 for food, but the rest of the gas and all of the motels--Comfort Inns, La Quinta, Radisson, etc--were paid by rewards points.

Are you going to be on TV now ?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 10:45:59 AM »
I would have much rather taken my Springer than the Mustang. Consider yourself lucky.

That is awesome. I'm glad you had a great trip with plenty of sun. I find driving is one of the most therapeutic activities in my life. The bike is more fun, more intense, but I don't get off feeling relaxed.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 11:34:50 AM »
The bike is more fun, more intense, but I don't get off feeling relaxed.

No, me neither. When I'd return from a 10-14 (or, once, 21) day trip, I'd crash for a day or two from exhaustion, and that's when I was a lot younger.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 03:15:08 PM »
Thanks for sharing the pics, Dick - great shots and looks like a great drive. Brings that "road trip" urge back to the surface!
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 04:56:27 PM »
Thanks, Mrs. Smith. I'm always a bit disappointed, though, when I view my photos when I get back home. I've never been a good location or landscape photographer (maybe because I never tried hard enough).

These are the sort of photos I'd like to do, if I had the time.

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 06:08:09 PM »
Well who wouldn't? Several of those look as though they were taken using a polarizing filter and other helpful tools though, so don't be too hard on yourself. One of those you labeled Capital Reef I think it was - that was a really good shot. If you want "hang it on the wall" quality, you might want to actually get out of the car though. Bug guts don't help make the image sharper... =D

Are you still on your trip or are you back home now? Any shots of CO?
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 06:09:29 PM »
Huh, you know I don't think I've ever seen you mention it Dick. What do you shoot? Medium format? I know a lot of the model/product stuff is done on MF.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 07:13:32 PM »
Balog, I was 99% a studio photographer, shooting with 4x5 or 8x10 cameras. When digital came along, I either shot with 4x5 and a digital back or with a Hasselblad and a digital back.

As for polarizing filters, that much I know. ;)

It's just different disciplines. Take a location or landscape photographer and put him in a studio and he can't do the simplest tabletop product photo. Not many photographers can bridge disciplines equally well.

Bug guts don't help make the image sharper...

No, but stopping to clean the windshield often slows me down. I was there for speed, not clean windows. ;) Notice the nice winding highway in the shots with the Mustang on the side of the road?

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 07:37:45 PM »
Yep. Made me jealous.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, 07:56:13 PM »

Very pretty!  I like water, and green.  Probably should do a road trip through Utah just for something different, though.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2011, 08:53:50 PM »
I have a picture at the same spot in Red Rock Canyon.  Bryce is beautiful but for my money you can't beat Zion NP.  Utah is still pretty high on my list of places to live in after retiring from .mil.  All the scenery of Colorado but not as many California transplants.   =D

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2011, 10:52:06 PM »
dm1333, I've been to Bryce so many times that it's not that exciting, but Red Rock Canyon never fails to take my breath away.

This time, after I paid the $25 to get into Bryce ( :mad:), I was driving behind a small motorized cart hauling a bushel or two of gravel. I saw what looked to be a small passing lane, and so went around him. There were no other vehicles nearby.

An approaching ranger flashed her light bar, and I pulled over and rolled down the window.

She had scary crazy eyes, and was practically screaming at me for crossing the double yellow lines. I've been chewed out by cops before--male and female--but she was something else entirely. She then said she'd be watching out for me while I was in the park. She spooked me enough that I left after just fifteen minutes.

And the rangers worry about permit holders carrying guns in the parks. She shouldn't be allow to carry anything more deadly than a dull pencil.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2011, 11:37:33 PM »
Nice pictures.  I hope that I can make there someday.....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2011, 11:45:48 PM »
Well done on the pics!....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.