Author Topic: another anti union politician  (Read 3099 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
another anti union politician
« on: July 20, 2011, 09:51:07 PM »
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/jul/20/emanuel-gets-tough-with-unions/

Rahmbo” is going Rambo on the Windy City’s union employees.

Making good on a campaign ad from last winter that barked “city government is not an employment agency,” Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel is fearlessly putting city workers and their unions on notice to bargain amid the budget crisis or be gone.

Last Friday, he announced layoff notices for about 625 city workers after their union failed to offer its own deficit-cutting concessions by a deadline the mayor had set.

In addition to the job cuts, he announced he was delaying repairs to sidewalks, curbs and gutters and was bidding out some of the city’s recycling pick-up to two private companies that will compete with the Department of Streets and Sanitation for the most efficient option.

All the measures, which also include a set of work-rule changes, are geared at slashing a $31 million budget shortfall that is projected to worsen in 2012.

“My duty as mayor is to protect our city’s taxpayers and be their voice, not to protect the city’s payroll,” Mr. Emanuel, a former chief of staff to President Obama, said at a news conference last week, defending his hard-line stance to stanch city spending.

“No amount of smoke and mirrors can put off the tough decisions any longer,” he said.

weird
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: another anti union politician
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 10:38:49 PM »
Yeah, no scheisse.  I thought that Rahm would just continue King Shortshanks method of governing ruling Chicago.  I guess the fact that the state has no money to cover Chicago's shortfall, is motivating him or he's really got his finger on the pulse of the people and knows that things can't continue and he wants to be "ahead of the curve" when he runs for Governor and then President.

Yep, that's his goal back in the White House, but only as The Big Guy.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 01:08:25 PM »
That's terrifying.

I don't understand "Big Chicago" anymore.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 05:29:55 PM »
Irony. Delicious.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 05:32:41 PM »
That's terrifying.

I don't understand "Big Chicago" anymore.

Eh... he's just wised up to the fact that more than 51% of the voting public has at least the glimmer of an idea that we need to have some fiscal responsibility in the .gov sector, before "very bad things" start to happen.

And that if you want to leverage a mayorship into a governorship, and eventually POTUS, he's going to need to do some "liberal corporatism", because most of these companies have some sort of reach outside the city and state, which means a broader base, deeper pockets, and Federal level influence because Senators and Reps will play ball to get plants, jobs, HQ's in their districts.

Kind of like the shenanigans with GE and Obummer going on right now.

He figures, quite rightly that besides the .gov sector, unions are almost done for, and will keep on losing any ability and clout to prop up Dems in the future. And as states head for fiscal crises, the .gov sector unions are losing clout too.

So he needs to start cultivating Lefty-appealing .biz sector partnerships and cronyisim. Whether it's big city machine poverty-pimp lefty/.biz collaborations, or just true-believer granola-commie/.biz collaborations remains to be seen.
I promise not to duck.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 08:12:21 PM »
You guys have Rahm all wrong - he is a tried and true wall street man.  Any policies that would be welcomed by wall street will eventually show up in his routine.

Of course he hates unions - they get a cut of management's money.  Whether they actually help or hurt working people is irrelevant.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 11:08:56 PM »
He is a product of the "Limousine Liberal" North Shore of Chicago.

It's just trying to figure out his game and the angles.  This is pissing on off your base (the .gov unions) while playing strictly to the big corp's.  Not a way to get re-elected and keep the reins tight on the City Council like Richie Shortshanks did.  (Anyone remember the "Council Wars" of the 80's when Harold Washington was mayor?)  The .gov employees unions are the de facto pavement-pounders and arm-twisters, etc. that "get out the vote" for their guy.  

So he could be telling them behind the scenes "Yep, this is bad.  But you don't want to see Worse.  ;)" to keep them in line.

All this of course is speculation, but his eye is on the White House, make no mistake about that.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 03:28:40 AM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 03:27:22 AM »
You guys have Rahm all wrong - he is a tried and true wall street man.  Any policies that would be welcomed by wall street will eventually show up in his routine.

How is this opposed to what other people have posted on this thread?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 03:41:24 AM »
How is this opposed to what other people have posted on this thread?

In De Selby's mind, we are all worshipers of big business and Wall Street, which means that throwing that out is somehow supposed to get us to like him.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 05:41:54 AM »
I believe this is a job for...

PHILOSORAPTOR:

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 03:45:49 PM »
I believe this is a job for...

PHILOSORAPTOR:

Now you know what killed the dinosaurs.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge