Author Topic: Wednesday Woot! 7/27/11 for the security conscious.  (Read 2556 times)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Wednesday Woot! 7/27/11 for the security conscious.
« on: July 27, 2011, 12:47:23 PM »
http://www.woot.com/?utm_source=Daily+Digest&utm_campaign=477c0aeea4-Daily+Digest+-+20110727+-+Woot&utm_medium=email

8 cameras and a 500GB DVR/monitor system.

We've had a few posts about security issues over the past few months, and just as an FYI in case anyone was interested. Systems like these have been plummeting in price, and this is sure to just be moderate quality, but this is still a pretty good deal.
I promise not to duck.

cosine

• Administrator
Re: Wednesday Woot! 7/27/11 for the security conscious.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 02:37:01 PM »
I just checked Woot myself before coming over here to APS, and thought "Hmm, I wonder if someone will have posted that already." Yep.

[ar15] just because it's cool.
Andy

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 02:51:19 PM »
I saw that myself. 

Do any of you know if someone makes a security camera that is sort of disguised as an entryway light?  I wouldn't mind setting up a few cameras, but I would want it to be more discreet if possible.  I've briefly looked on one or two sites, but didn't see anything.  Most of the remote cameras are battery operated and it would seem a good match as a light already has power and would be in the location I was interested in seeing.

I might end up getting a system like this anyway just to get started.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 02:53:03 PM »
Even just with my kids it's in the "nice to have" category. Keep an eye on the yard, playground, patio, pool etc.

And with central/eastern West Allis in a long slow decline (or so it seems) and the incidents of vandalism, car break-ins, and the most recent, the drunk guy trying to push his way into our house at 9:30PM a few weeks back, it would be helpful.

And the teens/young-twentysomethings from the rental house down the street who walk up the block to "shake hands" with another teen/twentysomething then just as quickly turn around and walk back might take that crap somewhere else if some of the cameras were noticeable, and aimed at the street/sidewalk.

I saw that myself. 

Do any of you know if someone makes a security camera that is sort of disguised as an entryway light?  I wouldn't mind setting up a few cameras, but I would want it to be more discreet if possible.  I've briefly looked on one or two sites, but didn't see anything.  Most of the remote cameras are battery operated and it would seem a good match as a light already has power and would be in the location I was interested in seeing.

I might end up getting a system like this anyway just to get started.

I haven't seen much. Although you could probably rig up your own just by eyeballing the fixtures at Home Depot/Lowe's and seeing which might fit, have dark colors, and you could drill them out with a dremel, and seal the gap with some black silicone caulk.

Otherwise, not decorative, but there's several designs that integrate into the IR sensor garage/porch floodlight fixtures.

http://www.x10.com/products/x10_vt38a.htm (Just an example, and I believe made for 2.4ghz, not wired installations.)

« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 02:57:27 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 02:57:08 PM »
Excellent! I was getting ready to buy an identical item from Costco for $800. This just saved me a LOT of money. :)
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 03:24:44 PM »
Thanks for the link.  Those aren't bad at all.  The floodlight camera is along the lines I was looking for at least.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 03:35:40 PM »
I bought the woot! shirt. I found it funny as hell.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 03:53:13 PM »
The wife pointed that out to me this morning.  One of my tasks in the next 9 months or so is going to be getting on top of CCTV systems for our retail operation.  We've already got 32 cameras up and being recorded via ZoneMinder (http://www.zoneminder.com/) but the resolution is poor, frame rate too low, etc.

Based on some of the comments on the Woot! thread it doesn't sound like these are very good cameras when it comes to resolution so I figured I'd pass.  Besides, I'm going to need something that does probably close to 48 cameras in the next 18 months, so I better just roll my own.

I'll keep y'all posted about what I learn if you want.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 07:46:12 PM »
And the teens/young-twentysomethings from the rental house down the street who walk up the block to "shake hands" with another teen/twentysomething then just as quickly turn around and walk back might take that crap somewhere else if some of the cameras were noticeable, and aimed at the street/sidewalk.

This.  Ever since the neighborhood teenagers noticed our cameras, they all hang out at least a block away.  (Except for the ones who play street hockey next door, but they're actually just playing street hockey.)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 08:11:56 PM »
they have 4 cam version for 189 on the deal of the day
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I