Author Topic: Colorado and Kansas CCW questions  (Read 941 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Colorado and Kansas CCW questions
« on: July 28, 2011, 08:23:41 AM »
My search-fu is weak this morning.
I'll be taking a road trip on the bike across KS and into CO starting tomorrow and I've not been able to find a definitive answer about notifying LE about the presence of a weapon in the event of a "official" encounter.
Also is there any "gotchas" I need to know about other than Denver is screwed up?
I expect to ride into RMNP as well. I would expect that no weapons in the buildings in RMNP but anything else to be aware of there?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: Colorado and Kansas CCW questions
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 09:32:37 AM »
RKL, What state is your license from?

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/  Click on the states and you will get a synopsis of each state's laws.

ETA: http://www.handgunlaw.us/
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 09:41:45 AM by adively »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 10:50:18 AM »
Larry if I remember correctly Kansas you have to notify when encountered.  Not sure about Colorado.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 11:10:59 AM »
According to handgunlaw.us no requirement to inform for both KS and CO. I looked at that one earlier today and didn't see it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

PTK

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 11:17:24 AM »
Personally, I've always informed the police officer if I'm carrying, regardless of requirements. Most places I've lived (and been dumb enough to speed) it's a "yeah, whatever", sometimes you get a "okay... just don't pull it out." :laugh:
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 02:11:07 AM »
Kansas Attorney General website:
http://www.ksag.org/files/Frequently_Asked_Questions_2010_Updates.pdf

If I have a Kansas CCH license and I am stopped by a law enforcement officer,
do I have to tell the officer I have a CCH license and/or handgun?

Answer: No, although it is highly recommended! Under the KPFPA, upon
demand of a law enforcement officer, the licensee must display the license if
they are carrying concealed.

Where abouts are you traveling in Kansas?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 10:19:33 AM »
Yup, no req to inform in KS.

RKL, if you're coming through Kansas City and have the time - let me know; we'll get lunch or something.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 05:43:19 PM »
Traveling from OK to CO. Stopped for the night in Hays. Mrs. RKL's butt gave out.
It's been a couple of years since we've got out on the road on the bike, did just over 400 miles today. Ran into cooler weather in Salina and made for a nice ride.

Thanks for the input on KS law.

Samuel Adams