Author Topic: cat sniper on the loose in NM  (Read 4230 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

HankB

• friend
Re: cat sniper on the loose in NM
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 09:17:01 PM »
Police are looking for the cat's sniper? What kind of award are they looking to hand out?  >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 09:21:03 PM »
#1 - I have witnesses for my whereabouts on that day.

#2 - OMG they're debating the power/effectiveness of .22 vs BB in the comments!  Not to mention stating  that anything more powerful than a 9mm will blow right through a cat and hit innocent nuns working at a day care center for disadvantaged youth with crippling diseases.

#3 - It took a trip to the vet for the cat to be neutered for the "owners" to figure out Miss Prissy was Mr. Pris?  Either the cat did not let them get close enough to check (doubtful if they could get it to the vet) or somebody needed eyeglasses and a biology lesson.

#4 - Yeah!  How come there are no leash laws for cats?

#5 - Oh, the heck with it.  Just  :facepalm:  [popcorn]  :facepalm:

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 09:32:22 PM »
Killing neighbors pets is usually not a good sign of mental health.

I say this as a person who does not really care for cats.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 09:36:44 PM »
Someone took it upon themselves to shoot at my house I would be inclined to shoot back. Especially if it was to kill a harmless animal.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 09:46:34 PM »
I taking from the story that is a stray that they take care of when it is around.

While I don't condone the shooting of it, it might have been causing damage at someone else's place and they decided to end the problem.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 09:59:36 PM »
Do that in my neighborhood and you WILL die............................chris3

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 10:37:29 PM »
where i live they built 32  mini mansions.  in the 4 years they've been there they have conservatively fed 200 or so cats and 50 or more small dogs to the local yotes.  why do folks let their critters to roam free?  heck even feral cats don't last.  i worked where they trapped and killed feral's  i started bringing em home and turning em loose  but they never lasted more than a couple weeks.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 10:56:56 PM »
I taking from the story that is a stray that they take care of when it is around.

While I don't condone the shooting of it, it might have been causing damage at someone else's place and they decided to end the problem.

jim

Feral cats need to either be tamed or die, don't get me wrong. But no matter how much you think a particular cat, no one shoots at my damn house. And if it was a tame outdoor cat doing damage the correct response would be to take it up with the owners, or in extreme cases (it's coming onto your property and killing your chickens and the owners don't care, for example) kill it on your own damn property.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 11:47:36 PM »
I think in this case calling animal control would have been better then shooting.

And yes, if someone shoots at my house to take out one of my "barn cats", they might run for miles, I'm returning fire. I'll say they looked like they were shooting at me but my brave animal got in the way.

I worry with all the wildlife in my driveway on any given day that someone is going to shoot a car or the house or worse one of these days.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 01:55:46 AM »
I'm going  to take a wild guess that Pris was where he wasn't supposed to be and took a round for his trouble.   He then managed to walk back to the space between the two houses before expiring.

Call it a hunch, and no I've never been to NM.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 05:20:01 AM »
Can we apply this logic to dogs?

Specifically, if your dog wanders to my property, can I shoot it and bury it in my back yard? If not, why?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 07:57:37 AM »
not a good way to deal with your neighbors animal, although it could have been an accident.  a few years ago we were at a campground and our cat was shot by a neighbor who was target shooting.  our cat must have seen the puffs of dirt behind the target and went over to play with the bullets.  fortunately it passed through the flap of skin below the belly so the cat was okay (although the vet said it nicked his intestine and needed surgery).  we didn't even realize he had been shot until he didn't come for breakfast, and i saw the blood where he had been lying.

i am wondering what caliber would lodge in a cat?  22 calibri?  unfortunate ricochet?  air rifle?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 08:26:51 AM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 08:52:54 AM »
Micro: not sure who you're addressing with that comment, but in my case yeah any feral animal on my property posing a threat to me my family or my property is liable to get dead. Whole lot fewer true feral dogs than cats, but it certainly does happen.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 09:00:07 AM »

Specifically, if your dog wanders to my property, can I shoot it and bury it in my back yard? If not, why?

No.

Because the courts have held that dogs are property.  Mostly based on the facts that you must pay a liscense fee in order to legally own one, and are required to get rabies vaccinations and provide proof of same pretty much on demand.  Many places also have leash laws which govern where a dog may be and under what circumstances.

There are exceptions to the above that allow you to shoot a dog that wanders onto your property.  Generally these fall under the categories of depredation of livestock, attacking my domestic pet(s) - including my cat if I had one - and endangering humans.  If your dog chases my chickens/goats/sheep/horses/etc. I can, in most places, shoot it DRT.  I must, in most places, notify the authorities and complete some paperwork alleging that it was menacing livestock/domestic pets, and to get permission to dispose of an animal carcass without a prior-issued permit.  I'm also supposed to attempt to notify the legal owner - not so much because their property is now dead but to confirm they are/were the legal owner so I an sue them for damages.

Cats are not property because they are not subject to the same requirements/restrictions.  I may need to get permission to dispose of the carcass.

Wonder how come I know this stuff?  It's not because I worked for Animal Control/SPCA.

stay safe.

If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 09:31:16 AM »
Cats are not property because they are not subject to the same requirements/restrictions.  I may need to get permission to dispose of the carcass.

Elaborate for me: do you think in a moral sense, cats are not property? I am not asking about the legal sense because quite clearly the legalities vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2011, 09:59:34 AM »
Elaborate for me: do you think in a moral sense, cats are not property? I am not asking about the legal sense because quite clearly the legalities vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

I have previously made my thoughts and preferences about cats well and publically known.  I do not like them and consider them individually but a barely decent ingredient for a Chinese dinner or one half of a pair of mittens or slippers.  Not even fit for a certain vendor's use as moccasin material.

As to the moral sense of cats as property, I do not consider them as such.  Please see above.  I have no interest in the keeping of them for any purpose.  While I understand that farmers seem to prefer them to snakes or other predators for controlling rodents, I see nothing to give them any special advantage in that regard.  As companion animals I scoff at the notion, unless one intentionally chooses to be the provider of food, shelter, and care of an animal that gives nothing in return unless it sees a specific and immediate advantage to doing so.  Cats come looking for affection when they want it, and have no generalized behavior trait of succoring their providers of food and care in times of emotional or physical distress.  Cats have no generalized behavior trait of protecting their provider of food and care against assault or other danger - when a cat does so it is considered newsworthy.

Should you choose to maintain a cat, I only ask two things: that you not expect me to express anything short of mere tolerance for your decision, and that you do not expect me to interact with it except to discourage it from being near me.  The latter I will do without cruelty so far as is possible.  If the cat cannot determine on its own that its presence is not wanted then it will incur an increasing range of consequences.  Yes, I will attempt to remove myself, but if that is not possible, the cat will need to look for its own welfare.

stay safe.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2011, 10:01:01 AM »
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2011, 10:18:12 AM »
Feral cats need to either be tamed or die, don't get me wrong. But no matter how much you think a particular cat, no one shoots at my damn house. And if it was a tame outdoor cat doing damage the correct response would be to take it up with the owners, or in extreme cases (it's coming onto your property and killing your chickens and the owners don't care, for example) kill it on your own damn property.

If the projectile is still in the cat, it was likely a low-powered round.  Very possible the cat was tagged elsewhere and went to where it had received food/love/shelter in the past.

OTOH, if Some Dude is using anyone's house as a backstop for their feral cat culling, they deserve a spade upside the head.

I'm going  to take a wild guess that Pris was where he wasn't supposed to be and took a round for his trouble.   He then managed to walk back to the space between the two houses before expiring.

Call it a hunch, and no I've never been to NM.

Ayup.  As a kid (5YO, maybe?), I was accused of killing a wood duck by a neighbor.  I had seen it move slowly to shelter under a tree with low-hanging branches.  I was THRILLED to be near such a beautiful critter.  I lost sight of it under the branches and went home.  Neighbor found the duck expired and pretty much accused me of killing it and sent it to the vet for autopsy.  Turns out it had been shot with both a pellet and a .22LR.  The neighbor, to his credit, was mortified and asked my forgiveness.  Being the forgiving sort, I did.  For the rest of our days living there, he shared every bit of wildlife lore he knew with me and I learned a WHOLE lot about wood ducks.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2011, 10:19:59 AM »

Some states' laws assume any loose dogs or cats are predating livestock and property owners are authoerized to down them.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2011, 01:58:14 PM »
Some states' laws assume any loose dogs or cats are predating livestock and property owners are authoerized to down them.
I'm not sure of the laws here, but many a land owner with cows or hogs will shoot dogs on site most especially if they are running in packs.  

I think the dogs and the coyotes take care of the cats.  I wouldn't be surprised if the bobcats take care of the cats also.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 02:01:48 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2011, 02:06:25 PM »
I think they closed the comments section because I don't see any.

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2011, 02:52:18 PM »
I'm not sure of the laws here, but many a land owner with cows or hogs will shoot dogs on site most especially if they are running in packs.  
I'm in a suburban area just west of Austin, TX, and in recent years there have been several stories in the local rag about people who have done exactly that.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2011, 03:49:15 PM »
I think they closed the comments section because I don't see any.

They were there when I looked. There was also a "Hide Comments" button.  Perhaps your view had a "Show Comments" button?
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell