Author Topic: Memories and future plans for our military members  (Read 3531 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Memories and future plans for our military members
« on: August 03, 2011, 12:29:02 PM »
Whatever you do, do not do this at home, or abroad.  You have been warned.  Like that will do any good.

stay safe.

http://rhinoden.rangerup.com/the-dumbass-chronicles-the-most-dangerous-range-ever/

So there I was enjoying a two-martini lunch when the Battalion XO, Major Good Ideafairy, walks into my office and says, “Lieutenant…I want you to run a joint end-of-year weapons range with the Koreans next month.” Anyone else think this is how those “do’s and don’ts of range safety” videos start off?
It’s an annual thing – Army units have to expend all remaining ammunition in their accounts by September 30th
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Memories and future plans for our military members
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 12:41:05 PM »
Hey I may have been on that range, or on just like it once or twice in my career. [ar15]
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 01:31:26 PM »
Now that right there is funny...not only because it's funny, but because I've known a few Lt Dumbasses and a few Major Goodideafairies in my life....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 02:09:11 PM »
The story on that site about the guy getting mailed a giant dildo at Ranger School is hilarious.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 02:14:14 PM »
That is pretty good.

They do get really wound up about daisy-chaining claymores. Why is that?

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 02:41:25 PM »
The story on that site about the guy getting mailed a giant dildo at Ranger School is hilarious.

:lol:

"Bring me the Keeper of the Dick!"

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 02:44:51 PM »
Read "The Bottle Incident." :laugh:
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 03:47:02 PM »
That is pretty good.

They do get really wound up about daisy-chaining claymores. Why is that?

Because if you don't know what you're doing you could blow up yourself or "make you generally unpopular with the remainder of your platoon". 

Also it is possible that not all of them will detonate.  You can instead launch one or more of them to parts unknown.  Unexploded ordnance scattered on ranges is highly frowned upon. 

Aslo, I'm assuming from the story that they did not have enough detonators.  You can reuse the clackers and most of the wire.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 04:16:07 PM »
Yeah, I'd like to know exactly how he daisy chained them.  Were they all right next to each other making it likely to cause all kinds of UXO fun, or were they spread out in line like you would do in an ambush? 

I recall one incident in AIT where we had a big chunk of C4 that instead of going off was blown clear.  I don't recall exactly what we were doing to have a big mass of C4.  To set it off we used the remaining 20 or so blasting caps wired together all jammed into this one about 3/4 of a block of C4.  It did go off that time.   :laugh:

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 04:30:01 PM »
The sheer volume of the ammo we had to shoot was staggering. The breakdown went something like this:

15,000 rounds of 5.56 ball ammo for the M-16
10,000 rounds of 9mm ammo for the pistol
7,000 rounds of 7.62mm for the M60 machine gun
2,000 rounds of 40mm grenades for the M203 grenade launcher
8 hand grenades
15 claymore mines
1 AT-4 rocket

Is it wrong that I was wondering whether all that would fit in my garage?
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 04:34:57 PM »
Because if you don't know what you're doing you could blow up yourself or "make you generally unpopular with the remainder of your platoon". 

Also it is possible that not all of them will detonate.  You can instead launch one or more of them to parts unknown.  Unexploded ordnance scattered on ranges is highly frowned upon. 

Aslo, I'm assuming from the story that they did not have enough detonators.  You can reuse the clackers and most of the wire.

That was actually rhetorical on my part.  My whole squad actually got the why explained to us in very small words by our SGM back in the day after an awesome range experience that started with my squad leader looking at me and saying "*expletive deleted*ck this, this is taking too long, grab the mines and det cord and follow me, I'm going to show you how we actually use these things!" and ended with an, as they say, "Earth-Shattering Kaboom".

Your points were all addressed in the subsequent remedial training.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 02:32:10 AM »
Reminds me of something Joseph Heller might have written.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 10:21:53 AM »
Is it wrong that I was wondering whether all that would fit in my garage?

No, if you didn't think that and are on this board I would think something was wrong with you.