Author Topic: Help me find a gun.  (Read 9870 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Help me find a gun.
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2011, 01:59:52 PM »
I agree on the long trigger pull on the 92.  The one I used to have was a good shooter though. 

The CZ 75 P01 I have is an SA/DA pistol with a decocker.  I think different CZ 75's have different systems. 

I have an XDm 9mm with its 19 round magazine.  The mag fits pretty tight when full, but the pistol shoots good. 

I am not sure any decent pistol is going to have "cheap" OEM mags.  If you trust aftermarket mags, I guess you can get cheap, but I have had bad luck with aftermarket mags myself.  Mec-Gar makes the CZ factory mags so they are the OEM.  They are actually the only aftermarket company I have seen make decent mags. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2011, 02:00:27 PM »
My next gun purchase needs to be a full frame 9mm that has cheap magazines. Right now all I'm thinking of is an HP or a CZ. Would be curious to get the hive's thought.

Glocks are out, I don't like shooting them. Sorry to be picky.  =|

What are you going to do with it?

What's your budget?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2011, 02:08:46 PM »
I agree on the long trigger pull on the 92.  The one I used to have was a good shooter though. 

The CZ 75 P01 I have is an SA/DA pistol with a decocker.  I think different CZ 75's have different systems. 

I have an XDm 9mm with its 19 round magazine.  The mag fits pretty tight when full, but the pistol shoots good. 

I am not sure any decent pistol is going to have "cheap" OEM mags.  If you trust aftermarket mags, I guess you can get cheap, but I have had bad luck with aftermarket mags myself.  Mec-Gar makes the CZ factory mags so they are the OEM.  They are actually the only aftermarket company I have seen make decent mags. 

I've had terrible luck with cheap aftermarket mags.  The aftermarket mags that worked were, for all intents and purposes, about the same $ as factory pieces.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2011, 02:37:28 PM »
Based on your criteria, I'd look for anything in S&W's 5900 or 6900 series pistols. They're not as big as the Berettas, and OEM and aftermarket mags are still pretty inexpensive. I'd also second the Browning HP (esp. the Charles Daly, FEG, or Argentine models).

If you're ok with the Beretta 92-type guns, you may also want to look at the Taurus PT-92. You can mod the Beretta mags to work with them....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imel3gS142w

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/pt92-other-taurus-pistols/47817-beretta-m9-magazine-mod-pt92-99-pics-video.html
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2011, 02:38:18 PM »
I'd go with a  CZ P-01 over a BHP(better price and ammo capacity, plus a rail), but the SIG 2022s are also great guns and can be had for great prices now... CDNN and Top Gun Supply both have them at $400(at least $150 less than the CZ, which is itself a good hundred under a Browning).  If you are OK with a striker-fired pistol I would suggest the M&P over the XD.
Basically, there is something out there for you whichever way you go; just find a range with each and get whichever you like best.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2011, 02:39:21 PM »
CDNN catalog
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2011, 02:43:07 PM »
It's probably in the couch under the cushion.  ;)
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2011, 02:43:20 PM »
CDNN catalog

How did I never discover this magical document before?
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2011, 02:43:49 PM »
It's probably in the couch under the cushion.  ;)

Smart one ain't ya?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2011, 03:16:46 PM »
So far the cheapest mags I've found are for my Ruger GP100.....  =D
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

280plus

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2011, 03:51:29 PM »
Smart one ain't ya?
You found it then?  :cool:

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2011, 03:56:00 PM »
Sure you didn't leave it in the on the TP dispenser in the stall at Wal-Mart?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2011, 04:09:09 PM »
BHP is aluminum alloy frame, IIRC.  
No - very, very few BHPs were ever made with aluminum frames - a few years back I read that Cylinder & Slide had obtained a number of these rarities and was reworking them for the custom market, but the vast majority of BHPs are steel.

I frequently carry a MK III BHP and have found it to be exceptionally easy to shoot and exceptionally reliable. Though I carry it with Browning magazines, I have some thousands of rounds through it using ProMags with nary a problem.

As for BHP vs. CZ, I find the BHP more comfortable to shoot and with better ergonomics and "pointability" . . . but that's me; someone else may find one of the CZs fits them better.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2011, 04:25:26 PM »
No - very, very few BHPs were ever made with aluminum frames - a few years back I read that Cylinder & Slide had obtained a number of these rarities and was reworking them for the custom market, but the vast majority of BHPs are steel.

AIM got a few of them this year in tiny batches and let them go for ridiculously awesome prices. A friend of mine got one and offered to resell it for $600. It was a good offer but I got the Sig instead.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 04:45:07 PM by Jocassee »

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2011, 04:28:52 PM »
Sure you didn't leave it in the on the TP dispenser in the stall at Wal-Mart?

Jocassee is a cop?

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2011, 04:29:22 PM »
So far the cheapest mags I've found are for my Ruger GP100.....  =D

Really?.....will they work with my S&W K-38?....  :cool:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2011, 04:31:59 PM »
AIM got a few of them this year in tuny batches and let them go for ridiculously awesome prices. A friend of mine got one and offered to resell it for $600. It was a good offer but I got the Sig instead.

Aluminum framed BHP? Or a standard BHP?

The older BHP or Argentinia produced Hi Powers aren't worth anywhere near $600, IMHO, if you are looking for a general purpose gun. A nice, lightly used Mk III BHP, on the other hand, with the modern sights, enlarged safety lever, and straight barrel ramp...they can be found for around that mark if you keep looking.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2011, 04:45:43 PM »
Aluminum framed BHP? Or a standard BHP?

The older BHP or Argentinia produced Hi Powers aren't worth anywhere near $600, IMHO, if you are looking for a general purpose gun. A nice, lightly used Mk III BHP, on the other hand, with the modern sights, enlarged safety lever, and straight barrel ramp...they can be found for around that mark if you keep looking.

The tiny batches AIM had earlier were alloy.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2011, 05:20:40 PM »
I can't vouch for CZ but I do have a nice MKIII myself that always seems to go bang. And quite accurately at that.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2011, 07:15:30 PM »
Joc:

C&L/SA/SAO: Cocked & Locked/single action similar to the 1911.
DA: Double action, where the hammer is cocked and then released to fall on the firing pin.
TDA: Traditional Double Action, where the first shot is a long & nasty double action and the subsequent shots are a sloppy single action.  Usually has a manual safety that can be engaged that may or may not decock the hammer if in SA mode.
Decocker: Doule action with a decocker but no manual safety.
DAO: Double Action Only, usually no manual safety

In general, double action semis have gawdawful double action triggers and creepy & sloppy single action triggers.  DAO is the least obnoxious of the bunch and TDA the most obnoxious, IMO.  Some of the individual models are high quality weapons, though.

IMO, DA autos were a hardware solution for a software problem.

If you can tolerate a double action, the S&W semis are some of the best quality ever made, especially the third gen.  Cheap used and lots of mags out there for them.  They came in TDA, DAO, decocker and 9mm, 10mm, .40S&W, .45ACP in all-steel or alloy frames in full-sized, compact & sub-compact.  The whole gamut.  If I were on the hunt for a cheaper (price-wise) 9mm DA semi, a used S&W third gen is where I would start.

If I were doing the same for a C&L-capable 9mm, the CZ75 & BHO are the obvious first options.

Good luck.

If you can stomach a DAO in .40S&W, this will answer the mail for $280 bones:
http://www.summitgunbroker.com/4043.html
Extra mags $10 with purchase.

Excuse me while I send this link to my dad, too....
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2011, 09:03:20 PM »
i'm a big fan of the da/sa smiths, and factory mags are in the $20 range.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2011, 09:33:01 PM »
BReilly: why do you prefer the M&P over the XD?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2011, 10:14:09 PM »
Another another vote for the 92. 

Given your criteria,  it fits well.  Get a decent police trade in for under 4 bills,  and mags are plentiful and cheap.

Call it whatever you will,  but a Beretta 92 fits my hand as well as a 1911,  shoots good, and has high capacity to boot.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2011, 10:34:38 PM »
If you like the Beretta and cocked and locked, that Taurus will suit.  Cannot speak to magazine prices, though.  I spent some range time swapping my SIG-Sauer P226 with a PT-92 owner.  I liked the Taurus, though it is large.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2011, 10:59:36 PM »
Because I like to have lots of them, and I am a cheap bastidge.

You would be better off with a gun that works and that you shoot well. If you buy a new gun it will probably come with 2 or 3 mags. Then buy 3 more for training. Use the money you would have spent on lots of cheap mags to get good training.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?