Author Topic: Teachers union disavows internal memo endorsing deception of parents Read more  (Read 774 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
http://washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/op-eds/2011/08/teachers-union-disavows-internal-memo-endorsing-deception-parents
This one has a link to the document:
http://bejohngalt.com/2011/08/who-do-you-work-for-suckya/

AFT brags about subverting the legislative process by lying to parents.  Yeah, another "dog bites man" situation, but rarely so obvious in their released materials.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

CNYCacher

• friend
If you actually read the report, it becomes clear that the article about the report is mostly made up, and that the author didn't even read it, but skimmed it for quotes and then presented them in whichever context he imagined fit his prejudice.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
If you actually read the report, it becomes clear that the article about the report is mostly made up, and that the author didn't even read it, but skimmed it for quotes and then presented them in whichever context he imagined fit his prejudice.

The article is a bit tarted up, but the thrust of it and the title is accurate.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

CNYCacher

• friend
I think the article did a good job of steeling your preconceptions before the actual report was presented to you.

I read the actual report, and I don't think the article has any basis in reality.  Especially the title.

As an interesting experiment, I invite any APSer to read the report itself, then see if the article gives it a fair shake.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Going back and looking at more than just the report. The "Parent Trigger" is legislation that allows the local school board/parents to take action if a school continues to fail.  That opens the door to charter schools, vouchers and other ways of freeing kids from the bonds of failing public schools.  What the AFT did in this instance was "water down" the Parent Trigger legislation (in absence of their ability to kill it), to neuter the power of the parents from being the decision makers to just being able to "advise" the decision makers and also putting the teachers union in the decision making process.

The teachers union did this not "for the children", but to protect their union members.  And they did it by bending the truth about their true motives, the aforementioned.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.