Author Topic: The coolest thing, an mp3 player-help! I downloaded a virus/parasite!  (Read 1052 times)

Stand_watie

• friend
So the CD player in my car has a Shania Twain Cd stuck in it. I decided to skip paying a professional to remove it (yes I tried tweezers and needlenosed pliers), and upgraded to MP3.

I got an RCA 'Lyra', and it's the coolest thing in the world, I have a CD player that doesn't skip, the size of a zippo,  that will hold the equivalent of ten or 15 CD's in it's internal memory, and will take memory cards not much bigger than your thumbnail that will hold ten or fifteen cd's apiece, anyone but a professional dj's entire music collection will fit in a coin purse. I just plug it into my cd player and my car audio is good to go.

Now for the bad - these devious people gave me a CD that includes something called "jukebox", which, after installation, causes your computer to only go to "jukebox" when you put a cd in it to record. This recording is about 100x slower than standard recording, and lo and behold, for only 19.99 a month, I can buy a service from them that will increase my download speed by 100x.

So how do I get rid of this crap installation?
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
The coolest thing, an mp3 player-help! I downloaded a virus/parasite!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 10:10:18 AM »
Start/Settings/Control panel/Add remove programs to delete the program. That should do it.

What the install program did was tell Windows that all audio CDs should open with "jukebox" as the default. If that doesn't do it you will have to manually reset your default options to your player of choice.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 11:40:41 AM »
ahem...

buy a macintosh and an ipod

Wink
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Twycross

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 11:48:04 AM »
Actually, you don't even need a mac for the iPod.

Not that you shouldn't get one anyways... Cheesy

Chris

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 02:53:13 PM »
It sounds like youve run into a DRM protected CD ala the Sony cluster fark of last year.
You may have to contact the studio (Sony, BMG, whatever) to FULLY and TRULY get the thing off of your machine; check their websites for details on 'DRM removal'.
Much more info here, here and here.
Synopsis:
The studio doesnt want you making illegal copies of the music you BOUGHT and PAID for. So when you put the disc into a PC to play it loads a piece of software that allows you to play it on your PC and ONLY on that particular PC. It also stops you from transferring or copying the CD to mp3 or other convenient format for a portable player.
The biggest problem is that this DRM software may and has left machines that have it installed vulnerable to opportunistic take-over by malicious software/hackers.
My advice? Make back-ups of your vital data and try and get it of your machine ASAP.

Chris

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 03:01:46 PM »
Uhm...wait. On second read you mean the CD that came with the Lyra correct?
I thought you meant you had tried to play a music CD on yuor PC and it loaded this 'jukebox' software... nevermind.